Quieter Exhaust

I love the sleeper look of the MS3 but I find that the exhaust can attract unwanted attention.

It would be nice to be able to maintain higher speeds without the extra noise. Anyone know if there is a way to reduce the exhaust noise without affecting performance?

Just curious if anyone has done anything and if they can offer any suggestions.

Thanks!

are you looking to go quieter than stock??

if so I doubt you're going to without affecting the performance besides it's fairly quiet already

half of you guys named exhaust systems that make the car louder.

the answer is no. there are no exhaust systems that are quieter than what comes stock on the MS3. The RB system is quiet for an aftermarket system, but its still louder than stock.

For what it is the speed3 really isnt that loud.

out of the throttle some of the aftermarket exhaust get rid of the drone that the stock on cause, and is quieter at idle and slight throttle, but really open up when on it

The Cobb is probably closest to what you're looking for, but it's only quieter at certain times according to the data I saw. I'm going to guess there isn't anything all-around quieter than stock, so may be looking at a custom job.

I went with the MSCBE because I heard both when I was buying car and it seemed a little quieter, course some would say I am deaf!

I really do think the exhaust is loud as compared to the average car.

Keep in mind that the sound doesn't bother me at all but when I want to have some fun I can see nearly every ones eyes focus on the car. I like the idea of stealth speed and other than the exhaust the car is absolutely perfect for this.

Sounds like the aftermarket exhausts may be quiet at some RPM's but much louder at WOT which is probably not what I'm looking for.

Anyone try a custom exhaust to achieve something similar?

I really do think the exhaust is loud as compared to the average car.

the MS3 isnt an average car.

i think you're on a bit of a wild goose chase personally... aftermarket exhausts aren't typically looking to tone down an exhaust note, and designing one to make it even quieter than it already is is likely only going to increase backpressure.

OK for the people that think you cant get a aftermarket exhaust and be quieter. Well I have catless DP and now have RB muffler only from their catback kit. I removed the very rear muffler. SO its basically the way RB setup would be(1 resonator and 1 muffler)...Its WAYYYY quieter than my stock exhaust setup (which was 2nd resonator removed) <<Yes i admit that setup sure sex from the outside. but it was almost at the point of being too loud and it was drony in the inside. When i first installed the RB muffler I was shocked cause even in stock form this car never was this quiet. its now a balance of engine and exhaust sound.. it got a bit louder after breaking in still quieter then ever. Yes the noise is not aggressive like before but im fine with that. its still nice though .. so im content.

I really like the sound of the stock exhaust. It's my favorite part of the car. I don't think it's loud especially driving around the city, the sound gets lost within the incessant hum of the city. It's really only noticeable on quiet residential streets or underground garages. It does not attract any attention during regular driving though I wish it did.

Lamborghini & Ferrari exhausts are loud, the MS3 is not.

It's All Relative

Remember that we all live in very different environments and I would agree that in any city the exhaust wouldn't be considered loud at all and would blend in with the other noises. But I don't live near a city and the vast majority of my driving is in rural and residential areas. The exhaust definitely stands out where I live and as mentioned before, if there's a good solution I would be interested.

Keep in mind that every single one of us buys a car to meet a certain requirement. Some of you mod for more power, better handling or just to make the car stand out more. My MS3 is a daily driver which I also hope to AutoX during the summer. I really don't want the car to attract too much attention.

yeah, no one likes to hear 'de-tuned' on this forum... 'oh you bought the wrong car... '

no, not really.

i can understand this a bit, wanting a bit more quiet... but i've gotten used to the sound, and really like it now, in fact i catch myself rolling down the windows so i can hear the engine a bit on nice days. ... at least it is more low vrooom than BRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT.

i know i get flamed for it, but i'm more interested in 'un-harshing' the ride a bit, as i live in a world of concrete interstate. a tire change will help this a bit. and maybe end the constant song playing in my car.. 'ode to brdgestone joe.' ... or at least change the tune.

has anyone tried the cat back from magnaflow? i used to sell their stuff, and thought it would be a nice sound for this car.

Last edited:
Judging by the replies it appears that no one has really investigated this for the sole purpose of maintaining power while reducing noise.

I'll have to get the car on a lift and determine what the best approach is through a custom fabricator. I'll post back here if anyone is interested.

Judging by the replies it appears that no one has really investigated this for the sole purpose of maintaining power while reducing noise.

I'll have to get the car on a lift and determine what the best approach is through a custom fabricator. I'll post back here if anyone is interested.

My suggestion is to replace the stock resonator section (is there one? - I forget) going down the middle of the car with a bigger/longer one if possible.

reducing noise and maintaining power generally don't go hand in hand...

Back