Blizzak LM-25 vs. Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow

I have been considering getting snow tires for my '08 GT AWD for a while, but this past weekend clinched it. I was driving home with just a coating of snow on the road, and whenever I applied the brake I immediately went into a slide. Fortunately I made it home safely.

So I am shopping on TireRack, and I am trying to decide between getting 20" Blizzak LM-25's @$245 ea. or 17" Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow with Sport Edition F10 rims @$282 ea. + TPMS. Has anybody had experience with the Pirelli's? Would you recommend something else? Getting the spare 17" rims seems to be a more expensive option in the short term, but I may save money in the long run if I can avoid the re-mounting fee twice a year.

I called my dealer to get their opinion, and they suggested that I don't need winter tires. He claimed that AWD was enough, and that winter tires would not help stopping on slippery roads. (screwy) I think he needs to read all of the negative feedback on this forum about the OEM Bridgestones. So needless to say, I won't be seeking his opinion any more.

I have been considering getting snow tires for my '08 GT AWD for a while, but this past weekend clinched it. I was driving home with just a coating of snow on the road, and whenever I applied the brake I immediately went into a slide. Fortunately I made it home safely.

So I am shopping on TireRack, and I am trying to decide between getting 20" Blizzak LM-25's @$245 ea. or 17" Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow with Sport Edition F10 rims @$282 ea. + TPMS. Has anybody had experience with the Pirelli's? Would you recommend something else? Getting the spare 17" rims seems to be a more expensive option in the short term, but I may save money in the long run if I can avoid the re-mounting fee twice a year.

I called my dealer to get their opinion, and they suggested that I don't need winter tires. He claimed that AWD was enough, and that winter tires would not help stopping on slippery roads. (screwy) I think he needs to read all of the negative feedback on this forum about the OEM Bridgestones. So needless to say, I won't be seeking his opinion any more.

I've read the feedback on the message boards and TireRAck as well with the Bridgestone and I am scared to death of my first snow storm here in Boston.

I am considering the exact same option. However, I am considering saving some $ tires and rims. Looking at downsizing from the 245/50 R20 to 235/65 R18. The Blizzak DMZ3s are $137 Each, $66 each for the TPMS and $131 each for the Sport Edition ST4 rims. This was a much cheaper solution than the 20" rims. Total comes out to be $1400 shipped to Boston. This way I just swap out the entire tires and rims without all the remounting and scraping.

I'll probably be pulling the trigger in the next few days.

First off, your dealer is a moron.

I have used a few set's of Blizzak tires over the years , they are excellent. I haven't tried the Pirelli personally, but everyone who has them seems to be happy. I have Nokian tires on both my vehicles and they are great.

I had the post of the Grand Touring/tire concerns. Originals were the 20's with the Duellers...keeping them for spring through fall. I have also purchased and installed Blizzak DMZ3's 235-65-18 with their own 18" wheels. Bought the wheels through Tire Rack and had the local Firestone store match the pricing of Tire Rack along with the wheels/tires installed. Then paid $65 for a lifetime mounting balancing. They will switch the wheels off and on each time then at no additional charge. Have used the DMZ3's several times in the snow here in Ohio, and they are a great winter tire with good handling.

I bought a 17" package from TireRack with the Winterforce snow tires. This vehicle did great in the snow with those tires. I tried to get the tires to spin but could not. They are not a performance tire, only a pure snow tire. I bought them because I have experience with them and nothing compares when you look at the price of them.

Based on feedback from this forum and from Tirerack, I decided to go with the Bridgestone Blizzak DMZ3's, rather than the LM-25's, and Sport Edition KV4 18" rims. I chose to trade-off a bit of dry road performance for ultimate snow traction. I'll post my opinion of the setup after I've had a chance to put some miles on them.

Thanks

Based on feedback from this forum and from Tirerack, I decided to go with the Bridgestone Blizzak DMZ3's, rather than the LM-25's, and Sport Edition KV4 18" rims. I chose to trade-off a bit of dry road performance for ultimate snow traction. I'll post my opinion of the setup after I've had a chance to put some miles on them.

Thanks

I pulled the trigger at the exact same time today on TireRack. Same setup.
Should be here by Friday.

LM-25 4x4 18 inchers with sport rims from tire rack, excellent traction and pretty darn good in the dry. No complaints. Yes, I know the diameter isn't 100% to the originals, but 1mph at 55 isn't a big deal.

Besides the stability control actually lets you toss the car a bit in slippery conditions. Great tire combo/ for a great cx9.

Bridgestone DMZ3

I've been running the DMZ3's on my 9 for about two weeks with constant snow, ice, and winter in general here in Minnesota.

The simplest thing to say is that these tires are worth the price of admission. The difference between them and the Dueler/400's on snow and ice is significant. If you get them you won't regret the purchase.
No wheel spin starting out, no sliding at intersections when stopping or going around corners. I've yet to have the antilock brakes kick in stopping at an intersection and I haven't been driving conservatively either.
The 9 feels pretty much like it will go just about anywhere with the DMZ3's. It's about as night and day as you can get.

Can anyone post up a pic with the Blizzak and Sport Edition KV4's? I would like to know what they look like. In addition is there a decent 20" snow tire out there competitively priced? TireRack has some nice MODA rims on clearance in 20" for $149. I would like that setup if there is a good priced 20 snow out there.

Can anyone post up a pic with the Blizzak and Sport Edition KV4's? I would like to know what they look like. In addition is there a decent 20" snow tire out there competitively priced? TireRack has some nice MODA rims on clearance in 20" for $149. I would like that setup if there is a good priced 20 snow out there.

Tire Rack will let you show test fit them on your car, on the screen. You pick out the rims, wheels, color of your car, and you can see them online.

I have the 18" Blizzaks on my car, but with the ST-3 Rims that are pretty dirty for a photo right now.

I am running 20" Goodyear Wrangler HPs on mine 08 GT AWD and am happy with the results. This morning might have been the worst driving day I have had in years and the Wranglers were great - no issues. If I were on the Bridgestone Duelers, I'd be in a ditch somewhere. Undoubtedly the worst all-weather tire I have used in snow.

I found a nicer looking wheel in my opinion at Discount Tire (Momo) but they have only the DunlopGrandtrek snow tire in an 18" for $207 each. A huge cry from the Blizzak at $137. I would really like to go this route, but mounted, balanced and with TPMS to the door it is $1500. I was hoping for around $1200 which would be doable with the price of the Blizzak.

Tire Rack will let you show test fit them on your car, on the screen. You pick out the rims, wheels, color of your car, and you can see them online.

I have the 18" Blizzaks on my car, but with the ST-3 Rims that are pretty dirty for a photo right now.

17" for cx9

I bought a 17" package with winterforce snows from tirerack for around $1000 for my wife's GT

Hi, could you please confirm that 17" wheels is ok for CX9 GT, the deler told me that there could be problems with brake ventelation that the iner diametr is to smol it could not to be enough spase to cleare the brakes.
What brand wheels do you have.

Imants

Hi, could you please confirm that 17" wheels is ok for CX9 GT, the deler told me that there could be problems with brake ventelation that the iner diametr is to smol it could not to be enough spase to cleare the brakes.
What brand wheels do you have.

Imants

I sent you a PM

FYI, many good snow tires out there, make sure that if your planning any sport driving, get something that can handle it, what I mean is that the grandtrek is a great snow tire, lousy handling tires on pavement, no offensive to anyone, a truck suv tire is different than a high performance winter tire.

I bit the bullet and ordered a winter tire/rim set. I have coming the Pirelli Ice and Snow tires with Momo V-10 wheels in a 19's. It was the same price as the 18's so I had to go that route. I doubt that I will notice a handling difference between the two.

I have stated a few times in posts from last season that I was impressed with the factory all season tires in the snow, but that I would be getting snow tires eventually like I always do for my cars. In my opinion, the factory tires when brand new really aren't that bad. I drove hundreds of miles last year in 8 inches of snow on unplowed roads and the CX-9 was the best car I have ever driven using factory all seasons. I never got stuck and I was able to climb hills. However as others state time and time again, nothing beats dedicated winter tires for stopping on ice or snow. I recently chose to get Pirelli Scorpions over the Blizzacks. In NY state, most of my winter driving will be on dry roads, and the major complaint of Blizzacks is that they handle very poorly at highway speeds on dry pavement. I chose to go for a better handling snow tire and sacrifice a bit of ice traction.
Well I drove for the first time in some light snow, and boy was I impressed with the Scorpions! I can stop in what seems like half the distance compared to the factory tires. I can accelerate as if there is no snow at all on the ground. I have owned 3 other sets of winter tires in the past and these are the best ones I have ever driven with so far. I don't want to start a war with the Blizzack fans. I am sure their tires are a bit better when stopping on ice. But for me, I am now convinced that I made the right choice in buying the Pirelli Scorpions, both for the way that I drive and for the area that I live in. I would buy these tires again for my next car.
Here is a pic of the tire with the budget rims that I bought from tirerack.

Attachments

• IMG_9403.jpg
    IMG_9403.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 374
  • CIMG1075.jpg
    CIMG1075.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 377

Latest posts

Back