Defective Interior Metallic Door Handle

SeCX-9

:
2016 Mazda CX-9 Signature
Hi Gang,

I am having a quality problem with the interior door piece on my CX-9 and wanted to find out if anyone else is having the same problem. I have a 2008 CX-9 AWD GT with 8K miles and less than 5 months old.

A few weeks ago, I went out of town, and let my wife borrow the CX-9 (yeah, I gave her plenty of warnings about where to park.far from everyone else). When I returned, I found no dings or damage on the outside of the car, but I did find the interior door handle all scratched up. I am referring to the metallic finish, plastic piece that runs the horizontal interior length of the door and is used for opening and closing the door while seated inside. A.K.A. The door handle.

We have no dogs, cats or even kids so this could not be from them. What I determined was that the scratching was caused by her wedding rings or fingernails as she climbed in and out of the car those few days. I saw similar (but not as much) on the passenger side which she is the ONLY person to ever use that door.

While getting my thoughts together to bring the car in this Friday for a few TSB fixes, I lightly ran my bitten fingernail (i.e. no real nail) across the plastic piece and WHAM! Instant scratch! I was thinking WTF!

If this is truly a door handle, as designed by Mazda, I would expect that this piece would hold up to many years of opening and closing without much impact. If this was truly a quality piece, I would expect Mazda to design this piece to withstand REAL fingernails on many different types of people. But what I found was a poorly designed handle, or one that was defective.

It is my belief now that this piece is defective from Mazda and clearly not designed well, or the production process on the date my handles were manufactured had a defect in the production line. Surely I should not be able to easily scratch this metal, with the slightest rubbing of my fingernail. Right?

I have attached a few photos of my door handle and would like to hear if others have experienced similar with their CX-9s.

Thanks
H

Attachments

• Handle 1.JPG
    Handle 1.JPG
    358.7 KB · Views: 3,464
  • Handle 2.JPG
    Handle 2.JPG
    268.6 KB · Views: 936
Hi Gang,

I am having a quality problem with the interior door piece on......

Thanks
H

I m in the same boat, my handles are like yours for awhile now, I thought they were aluminum, but it turned out they r just cheap plastic with a silver paint on it. Should mazda replace them for free? I think so, Will they replace them for free? I dont think so. What you can do is , just go to walmart and get a silver spray paint or a silver sharpie pen and paint the handles gently. I used the sharpie method but it looks even worse now lol. First it looked cool tho. After awhile u start touchin on it and the sharpie ink starts comin off. Maybe we should contact Mazda USA. Like you said they are not designed well, and as a former 929 owner I could say that my 929 was over 14 years old when I sold it and everything was fine with my car, even the door handles were steel and chrome finished and never got scratched.

i think its not that its a cheap part per se, but is the kind of material used for looks and visual feel, the downside is that looks comes with the cost of a fragile piece.

mazda should replace this under warrenty, because no matter the interior design should some scratch that easily.

Great feedback so far.

I am headed into Mazda Service for the throttle shut-down TSB and the brake squeek TSB. I'm planning on hitting the service department hard on the handle quality.

I would love to hear more comments.

Mine is only 3 weeks old and I noticed where my pants rub on either side of the drivers cockpit. is showing blemishes. Crappy design and finish. Mazda needs to re-finish the peices and swap them out at the dealer, this is totally unacceptable!!(five-0) If they don't I may remove them and clear coat them to protect them.

My wife's biggest concern of our purchase was that...lol She asked how durable those metallic handles were and he couldn't answer her. Now this post comes up but I had to admit that we have been super careful on those surfaces. I think we should push companies that offer accessories to come up with a more durable replacement part... even offer it in a different material or color choice. That would be awesome because mine aren't scratched yet but I believe they are extremely fragile.

Lj

Add me to the list, I have the same scratches, both driver and passenger side. Better not get dinged for it at the end of the lease...

Same story here. I was absentmindedly rubbing my fingernail - lightly, mind you - along the handle while waiting at a traffic signal. I was horrified to find that I'd pulled paint off. My vehicle is only three months old. At this rate these handles will look horrible in no time.

This is unbelievable.

I will be addressing this as a quality defect with my Mazda service department tomorrow morning and will report back what they say.

If I get no satisfaction, I'll be contacting the Marketing VP guy who sent me a letter shortly after my purchase asking me to contact him if I have any problems or concerns. After that, its the CEO of Mazda USA.

Stay tuned.....

This is unbelievable.

I will be addressing this as a quality defect with my Mazda service department tomorrow morning and will report back what they say.

If I get no satisfaction, I'll be contacting the Marketing VP guy who sent me a letter shortly after my purchase asking me to contact him if I have any problems or concerns. After that, its the CEO of Mazda USA.

Stay tuned.....

Go GET'EM TIGER!!

I just got $500 out of them for a switch box complaint...I don't think they want to see me again...lol

I see I'm not the only one, my drivers side handle is really bad now. My 08 is 6 months old with 7k miles.

Just got back from my dealer.

They are replacing all the metal trim door handle pieces. Not a single question asked.

They said they had not heard of this before. however, I think if we all go back to our dealers and demand replacement, they'll get the idea that there is a quality problem. I just wrote a letter to the Director of Customer Satisfaction with photos and a short video of how EASY it is to scratch the piece with a finger that has no real fingernail.

Now, I need to find a clear film to put over the new pieces so the same problem does not happen again.

I'll keep you posted.

Just got back from my dealer.

They are replacing all the metal trim door handle pieces. Not a single question asked.

They said they had not heard of this before. however, I think if we all go back to our dealers and demand replacement, they'll get the idea that there is a quality problem. I just wrote a letter to the Director of Customer Satisfaction with photos and a short video of how EASY it is to scratch the piece with a finger that has no real fingernail.

Now, I need to find a clear film to put over the new pieces so the same problem does not happen again.

I'll keep you posted.

Try here http://www.decalfx.com/paint_protection_film.html

After reading this thread I decided to take a good look at the door handle pieces in my CX-9. They still look as good as the day I purchased it, some 11 months ago. I was also unable to scratch them with my fingernail, and they appear to be quite hardy to me.

Perhaps there was a bad batch?

After reading this thread I decided to take a good look at the door handle pieces in my CX-9. They still look as good as the day I purchased it, some 11 months ago. I was also unable to scratch them with my fingernail, and they appear to be quite hardy to me.

Perhaps there was a bad batch?

Very interesting. That was something that I had proposed to the dealer that possibly these were from a defective batch. It was just way to easy to scrape the paint off with the lightest of touch.

Do you have a 2008 or 2007?

The dealer called and told me they ordered all 4 pieces and will replace them when I come in on Wednesday.

I personally would take the pcs. to a body shop and have them clear coated. Just to maintain some sanity.....I think it would be money well spent, and probably wouldn't cost to much.

Same problem on our 7 month old 2008 GT. My wife will be glad to know it wasn't her fault (since it is her car).

Just got my CX-9 back.

She's in brand-spanking-new condition on her doors! All 4 pieces were cheerfully replaced. No questions asked by the dealer.

I recommend you all follow suit and put in your defect claim. Maybe someone upstairs will see a trend and do something.

Cheers

Back