Transmission rebuild!

mdavis

Took my car to the dealer last week due to a problem with the shifter sticking in first gear from a stop.

I just talked to the dealer this morning, apparently there was a 'serious' issue with the syncros, so they had to special order parts from multiple locations. They have no idea when I will be getting my car back, this BLOWS!

did you get a loaner?

I was actually out of town all last week, so I just had them drop me off at the airport. When I talked to them this morning they said they had none available because they were all sent to Huston after the hurricane, but they would give me a call later this afternoon if something came available.

I am going to give them until lunch and call the service manager.

Fortunately I have a motorcycle and the weather is supposed to be nice all week.

Just talked to the service manager.

Apparently, our transmissions require a special tool of some sort. They are currently waiting on that. Anyone know what this mystery tool is?

Just talked to the service manager.

Apparently, our transmissions require a special tool of some sort. They are currently waiting on that. Anyone know what this mystery tool is?
It's probably similar to the protege's "special tool" which keeps the main and secondary shafts from rotating when you torque the locking nuts.

one would think this would be something a licensed mazdaspeed dealer and servicer would have in the shop

Just talked to the service manager again.

They need a "Hub Puller" ~3 week back order unless they can find one in Texas and a "Gear Remover" ~1 week back order unless they find one in Texas. But the need the hub puller before they can use the gear remover.

This is lame

That's a sad excuse for a dealership.
It seems like they haven't done any transmission work at all.

It's a simple 3-jaw puller that you can buy at any auto parts store...for $10.

That's a sad excuse for a dealership.
It seems like they haven't done any transmission work at all.

It's a simple 3-jaw puller that you can buy at any auto parts store...for $10.

Surprisingly enough they are a well respected dealership that work on a lot os speed 3's. I can't wait until I get my car back after driving this Mitsubishi Raider Quad Cab rental, its gonna feel like a Ferrari.

My transmission was rebuilt as well due to 4th gear grinding. They replaced everything but 1st and reverse and it took them about 2wks. Cost was $3,500.00, Thank God it was covered under warranty. I think when my warranty is just about out I'm going to trade it on on something else. I Don't trust the tranny to stand the test of time. My car only had 21k miles and needed a tranny rebuild!

trannies are just a matter of luck imo. My mom had an acura MDX . . . tranny needed to be replaced after 20K miles. Her new car, lexus ES 300, had the tranny replaced TWICE and her car isnt even over 25K miles yet. Both cars were automatic so even though she is a bad driver its not like it was her fault :). My uncles toyota celica is completely stock except for some new brakes and AC replaced. Same clutch / tranny and the car has 220k miles on it. Unbelievable.

i have no idea i not tha t couple people have it like darksun.......i know one thing 2 diff dealerships didnt even want to fix my fuel pump and my car is vin range so **** them....i can live with this 1st gear

Man, your dealer needs to give you a new transmission fresh out of the box!!!

Then send the old trannie back to Japan and let it sit on executives' desk.

I'm sure he'll file it under "issues" dept.....

Man, your dealer needs to give you a new transmission fresh out of the box!!!

Then send the old trannie back to Japan and let it sit on executives' desk.

I'm sure he'll file it under "issues" dept.....
Most stealerships will but if it is only the synchros... they can be easily swapped out.
If it were my car, I'd be bitching about why they don't even have the basic tools to pull bearings or gears off the main shafts.

i have no idea i not tha t couple people have it like darksun.......i know one thing 2 diff dealerships didnt even want to fix my fuel pump and my car is vin range so **** them....i can live with this 1st gear

find a better dealership man or just tell them you want to talk to them and their district mazda rep at the same time.

Back