mazdaspeed CAI VS. Cobb SRI

nig3

which one usually makes the most power? thanks
also anyone know where i could buy either one for a good deal??? thanks again!!(burnout)

You wont be able to find any new mazdaspeed CAI, they've been discontinued. You MIGHT be able to find one used.
You wont be able to get the Cobb SRI anytime soon, they've been on back order. You wont get a good deal on a used Cobb cause people are selling a used one for more than a brand new one - supply and demand -.

And as for gains, I think they're pretty much even.

You wont be able to find any new mazdaspeed CAI, they've been discontinued. You MIGHT be able to find one used.
You wont be able to get the Cobb SRI anytime soon, they've been on back order. You wont get a good deal on a used Cobb cause people are selling a used one for more than a brand new one - supply and demand -.

And as for gains, I think they're pretty much even.

+1

i sold my ms cai for a sri, didn't feel like i lost any power... sri sounds better, easier to clean, and price new is the same as a used cai

That Cobb SRI on EBay is at $250 with 7 hours to go! Wouldn't be surprised if Cobb raises their prices. If someone will pay $75 more than retail, then the retail could stand to go up -- maybe.

Either a cai or the sri would be better than stock, you cant lose by ditching the stock box.

So I could sell my sri for more than I bought it for hmmm...

so basically be patient until the new Cobb intake is available again??
I was thinking of making my old CAI into a simple short ram to mimic the cobb design as much as posable, i wonder if then if i could use it with the AP.
BTW does anyone know the internal diameter of the cobb SRI mafs housing??? Thanks

The important part of the sri is the velocity stack and airflow straighteners. Cutting a cai in half will not mimic either of those.

Everyone knows the Cobb SRI gives you 50 more HP vs the CAI, due to sucking in the hot air under the hood instead of water like the CAI. (deadhorse

the mazdaspeed intake is being redesigned because its known to cause CEL's. Probably not a wise choice to purchase the old one. Warranty or not, its about the worst intake you could buy for your car. Nearly all others are safer.

I'm guessing if there was a poll, it would show most Mazdaspeed CAI owners have never had a CEL with it. As far as being the worst intake for your car, remember it's the only one that won't potentially cause warranty issues. My MS CAI has performed flawlessly so far. Water intake issues? - more BS than reality. Unless you live in New Orleans during a hurricane.

What oil is everone using?

I order mine from here! it was cool because they accept paypal and only took 2 days.

As you can see its for your car its on sale for $325

http://www.trademotion.com/partloca...AccessoryCatalog&siteid=214237&catalogid=3860

Are you sure you got a MS3 Mazdaspeed CAI or was it a Mazdaspeed CAI for a Mazda3. That site doesn't list a MS3 Mazdaspeed CAI that I can see.
Just wondering if you had installed yet or if you were still waiting. I would check it out before going forward with the install and being surprised.

The important part of the sri is the velocity stack and airflow straighteners. Cutting a cai in half will not mimic either of those.

i know this.... i was going to use an air filter that has a velocity stack built into it already and then get crafty and try and design air fins or straighteners to keep the airflow consistent across the mafs. although it would be easier to just buy a damn Cobb SRI LOL. i just dont wanna wait another year or two for them to release it

I'm guessing if there was a poll, it would show most Mazdaspeed CAI owners have never had a CEL with it. As far as being the worst intake for your car, remember it's the only one that won't potentially cause warranty issues. My MS CAI has performed flawlessly so far. Water intake issues? - more BS than reality. Unless you live in New Orleans during a hurricane.

I'll tell you what. I live up in New york, west side. lakes and stuff not the city. I have a 07 mscai. And all the talk from the floridians and such i considered to be over reacting. Well this year we have had alot of flash flooding. I actually can see it's potential now sorry for doubting. mscai on stock never had cel and no hydrolock, yet.

Last edited:

Could someone explain the velocity stack? If this is the old ram air concept I am not sure that it helps.

Are the airflow straighteners suposed to prevent air turbulance before the MAF sensor making it help flow only or does it help the MAF sensor get a better or leaner reading?

Sorry new to MS3's

I'll tell you what. I live up in New york, west side. lakes and stuff not the city. I have a 07 mscai. And all the talk from the floridians and such i considered to be over reacting. Well this year we have had alot of flash flooding. I actually can see it's potential now sorry for doubting. mscai on stock never had cel and no hydrolock, yet.

It rains a lot in MD too. I have never had a problem with MS CAI. I also love the fact I never have to worry about a possible warranty issue. It really is too bad you can't get them anymore. It was a no brainer beween the MS CAI and the Cobb. Same power gains for just a little more money, and that extra money buys peace of mind.

Back