Paddle Shifters for CX-7

GL-1970

:
CX-7 GT, Copper Red
Paddle Shifters for CX-7

I made an effort to add shift paddles to my AWD-GT using two RF remotes, one for each side of the steering wheel. I decided to make the right upshift, and the left downshift as this seems fairly standard across other cars.

My first idea was to borrow the shift paddles from the Miata GT, but this would require changing the steering wheel, or perhaps cutting a mounting location into the CX-7's wheel. The Miata's paddles upshift with the "UP" paddle, and downshift with the "DOWN" button, the same on the left and right sides. They were asking $140 for each paddle. It seemed better to make my own for the CX-7.
Miata GT Paddle Shifters.jpg
Miata GT Shift Paddles

I made my paddles wireless, to avoid the need to wire through the steering wheel. They're attached to the back of the steering wheel by a bracket fastened with the airbag mounting bolts (under the rubber plug)

The RF receiver was installed under the console in front of the shift lever. The existing wiring is fairly simple. A 6-wire connection carries the signals for Upshift, Downshift, Drive/Manual, Ground Return, and two wires for the small lamp.

I had to add a few relays to ensure the shift paddles will only function when the gear shift is in the Manual position, and also to ensure you cannot shift in opposite directions with the paddles and shift lever

So far I have not noticed any interference while driving, I think the chance that someone has the same remote with the same code is pretty small

I find I still use the shift lever sometimes, when turning for example, but for the rest of the time it's pretty cool to rapid-fire shift without moving my hands from the wheel.

Left Paddle.jpg
Left Side Shift Paddle

Right Paddle.jpg
Right Side Shift Paddle

Overhead View.jpg
Overhead View

Last edited:
I applaud you for your efforts and a very good job well done. However I don't see the need to do this on this car. I don't know maybe it's just me but I feel like this vehicle was not in the minds of aftermarket tunerz. They totally have ignored this vehicle.

I changed the positioning of the levers to make it a bit easier to press and because my fingers kept getting caught in the turn signal.

Now the levers are vertical and closer in to the steering wheel.

Also added "How To" instructions to the forum

Final Right Paddle.jpg

If you want to add shifters but want to wire it directly, I added a method for this; but didn't build it myself. Should work, in theory..

Direct Wire Instructions

Last edited:
Wireless? How quick are the shifts though? Stock "manual" shifting is isn't that quick to begin with.

Same as for the shift lever.

Well, perhaps 0.25 seconds quicker... or however long it takes to move the right hand from the steering wheel to the shift lever

Rapid shifts are a bit faster, at least only because you can trigger click a bit quicker than moving the shift lever.

'Wireless' just means it's using radio signals from the remotes. It's really just an overly complicated solution to avoid having to modify the clockspring connections in the steering wheel... :)

Last edited:
Actually there's a much easier solution. Just put a switch on the red / white wires, and one on the blue / white wires.

Just remember that it could be possible to shift both ways at the same time. As long as you're sure you'd never do that....

Back