Forums and the young

Sucks that he took 4 other people with him.....at least he kept it off the road and on a private airstrip...

I'll never have that problem...My son is getting my P5 in 12 years...and it'll still be slow....maybe even slower than it is now...

why would a parent let their 18 year old get behind the wheel of a powerful sports sedan such as that? That was irresponsible.

Maybe he was taking it late at night without permission. Maybe his parents thought he was being responsible. Who knows? Responsibility for the stupid choices made behind the wheel ultimately reside with the person driving.

to an extent...but putting 500hp under the right foot of any teenager on the steer is not a good idea. no matter how responsible you think they are, that pedal will still call their name...
Maybe he was taking it late at night without permission. Maybe his parents thought he was being responsible. Who knows? Responsibility for the stupid choices made behind the wheel ultimately reside with the person driving.

There is no "to an extent" about it. He was 18, old enough to vote, old enough to be tried as an adult. He's responsible for his choices and his actions. You can't blame the parents for having a nice car, and you can't blame them for letting their son, who they loved, for driving it. I certainly wouldn't let my children drive such a powerful car at such a young age without serious restrictions (IE: me being in the vehicle), but that doesn't make the parents of this kid "to blame."

I know many teenagers that drive cars that far exceed that horsepower. They drive the cars to the strip and back and they are responsible. If they drove home like an idiot and killed someone it would have nothing to do with their parents.

Thanks, guys, don't get me wrong," AmericanM5 wrote. "I never said I didn't respect your wisdom. Thanks for the welcome, and I am looking forward to getting to know you guys better...and I plan to have all the pics up tomorrow. Josh."

That sucks, I honestly blame the parents for letting their son drive the M5. unfortunately he killed all his passengers.

I had a 'Stang that had about 400whp when I was 18, but I didn't have a sense of invincibility like these kids do. But if the car was my dad's, there would be NO WAY IN HELL (!) that he would let me drive it without him being with me. NO F*CKIN' WAY! I feel sometimes (some) parents just give these kids the keys just to get them outta their faces. Crazy...

if it was my dads car...i would Be super careful not to **** it up...prolyl do some sprints on some clear str8s

I do have to say, there is some semblance of responsibility here. Afterall, at least he wasn't trying it on a public street.

I used to work at a BMW dealership, and those M5s are no joke at all. Even though they have 500hp with all the nannies turned off, people still underestimate them. They think yeah, its got the power, but its a heavy sedan. Not really all that much. We would take out the ones we had on lot all the time, well, not as much as the M3s, but we took them out quite a bit. I was only brave enough to kill all the stability things once, click the M button, run the full power. That thing will dead you real fast. You punch the gas, and it doesn't give you a chance to think if you really wanna do that. It just sits, s****, and gits.

We had one customer bring his in for some go fast work. Replaced the filters, ran new headers and exhaust, no cats, and did some ecu tuning to it. Bit of suspension bits, and new wheels. The owner took us out in it afterwards. It pulled clean and hard all damn near all the way to the century mark. He sent us a video not to long afterwards of him taking on, and taking out, a Gallardo from a roll.

While I agree with the thoughts of the parent's irresponsibility, a lot of it also comes down to common sense and driver responsibility. I say that having been allowed to use my father's 911 and brand new M3 sedan when I was in highschool at the age of 17. They were two very fast cars, but I always drove responsibly. Someone looking to drive full tilt on a straightaway (i.e. airport runway) and little experience is dancing with death.

As for me, I had a 1987 Isuzu Trooper (4 cyl manual) for my first ride in High School. Thing had like 74 hp and was slow as molasses but it was in great shape, no rust (orig. from New Mexico).

Last edited:
My first car was 1969 Mach 1 that i spent two years prior with my dad working on it every weekend, getting her ready for my 16th bday. My dad taught me how to respect what i own and how dangerous the vehicle can be. He set me straight and i respected that car and was responsible. My father taught me the rules and taking races to the strips. We built a 351-C to a 440 cube stroker. The car dyno'd in at over 500hp naturally aspirated.

The ony people you can blame are the parents for not educating their child.

I know the car is fast but my first car was a corolla GTS and it would hit 120-130......It will make you just as dead as the M5 would have. Yea its sad what happened but this kid was irresponsible and took many lives with his bad decisions. Shoot I know a 18 year old that could afford his own M5 because of a internet venture. He owns his own house and lives a dream. He is responsible and a very smart kid. If he did this, would we still be pointing fingers at the parents for being irresponsible. I would hope not! It was a bad decision on the kids part, not the parents! Did this kid have a restricted license that says "cannot drive a car over 100 hp" Stop pointing the fingers at the parents and start pointing them at the kid who made the wrong decision.

This is just another shining example of irresponsable parents. End of story.

We had this wonderful discussion just the other day. Kids saying they were responsible enough to drive and that the parents were not to blame.

Please note, this kid said the EXACT same things on the 25th and less than 12 hours later he was Dead. Kids + Fast Cars do not mix. Parents that buy their kids a fast car are ignorant and irresponsable and should blame nobody but themselves when their kid makes the news killing themselves or others.

In the case of the M5 and the case of the MS3 the other day, the stupidity started with the PARENTS and ended with the Kids. I guess the apple truely does not fall far from the tree.

I just hope those kids on this forum and others that own a MS3 or faster car learn something. I will not hold my breath......

Back