Harman Kardon Drive + Play screen in stock HU?

clads01

:
2017 CX-5 GT FWD Machine Gray
Hi, proud new owner of a 2003 Protege5 here. Have been researching options for iPod integration and have been scouring the boards here for the past few days.

I've already learned about and ordered the AuxMod.

I have a Belkin TuneBase, which charges the iPod, mounts it on a flexible 'gooseneck', and provides line-out, so the default option is to use that w/ the AuxMod.

However, I've noticed how cheap the first gen HK Drive + Play units are going for now -- as low as $50 -- now that gen 2 is out. And, after looking at MaxRay's post on his AuxMod install, I was thinking it would be sweet if the display of the Drive + Play could be installed flush on the HU where the "Multi-Function Audio System" plate is.

Has anyone else thought about or attempted this? Can anyone who has the Drive + Play tell me the dimensions of the display unit -- both the screen size and the overall display unit dimensions? I searched for its specs but the closest I got was somewhere that said the screen was 2.5" diagonal.

My photoshopped image attached is the idea/goal -- although in putting this image together I have paid absolutely no attention to what the actual size of the D+P screen is relative to the HU ...

What do you guys think? Is this doable, will the display fit in there???

Attachments

• P5_HU_w_D+P.jpg
    P5_HU_w_D+P.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 249
Well, got the dimensions from a CX-9 owner (here).

Looks like the HK D+P display unit is too large to fit where the "Multi-Function Audio System" plate goes. Unless somehow the LCD display can be removed from inside the display unit case, and even then it might not quite fit? Maybe something I will pursue if I get the chance ...

Back