NA Tech Race to 100whp per 1000cc's

LordWorm

Ok guys - heres a fun little idea... a race, to see who can make crack the 200whp mark first.

This is open to all and sundry (with the exception of the rotary boys, who would probably smash us all) - so mazda 6 and 3 guys get in and try to beat the P5 guys to the punch.
I anticipate this will be a long term thread...but here are the......
THE RULES
#1 - Open to all mazda NA piston powered vehicles. No power adders. No Wankels.

#2 - RULE EDIT: To keep it fair i've made this minor change here. The 200WHP is not the target anymore. The target is 100whp per L of actual displacement (not manufacturer advertised displacement which is rounded up). So an FSDE with 1991CC of displacement would need to achieve 199.1hp at the wheels, all motor, in order to cross the finish line first.

#3 - MUST be dyno proven. A photo must be posted of the car on the dyno, a photo of the dyno sheet must be taken on the bonnet of said car, and a scan of the dyno print must be also submitted. Power to be measured AT THE WHEELS.

#4 - To stop any diddling of results, you must also include a handwritten piece of paper with your name, "Mazdas247.com NA Tech Race To 200whp" and the date on every image submitted... I may also ask for proof you are not boosted, not running nitrous, and not running a water or water/meth or meth kit on the car.

#5 - You can use any fuel you like, but it must come out of the fuel tank....so if you need methanol to get there, run the car on methanol for all i care, but no adding to the mix after the fuel tank!

#6 - engine swaps are allowed.... as long as they are a mazda PISTON engine - so Protege guys, go find yourselves some FE3's to mod ;) (please note that with the change to rule #1, an swap to a bigger displacement engine means that your target is going to go up..same goes for overboring)

#7 - RULE ADDITION..... all people competing in this contest must start a build thread, detailing what they have done. Pics or die :D. Once we've got a few, i'll set up a consoldated sticky as a directory to everyone's builds.

#7a - Rule Clarification - competitor must be an active member of the forums to be considered victorious. Whilst there may be examples on other forums of people achieving this goal on our engines, the intent here is to encourage wild NA builds within our own ranks, and to expand the community's knowledge when it comes to extracting big power out of small engines.

#8 - I reserve the right to change the rules as i see fit - so there :p

Post your images as you go, i'll try and keep a leaderboard happening... 200whp may sound ambitious, but i gotta give you all SOMETHING to strive for...

The main goal of this thread is to promote more readership of the NA tech section, so invite your 3 and 6 buddies over to join in the fun and festivities.

suggestions on rules, please PM me...

Competitor Threads
  • mazdaspeed777 starts us off with his JDM spec build - JDM pistons, cams, management, and a few other goodies.
  • BinoMP5's KLZE build - in the planning phase, and not 100% sure if the mighty 2.5L is the way to go - either way, it'll have a V6 of some description by the sounds!
  • jimmysuite's 175hp build - jimmysuite isn't going for the outright title, opting for a more pleasant and economical daily driver - still 175hp on the FS will be a bit of a monster, and much of the information in this build will translate to more exotic builds
  • MakeMeGoFast's KLZE build - MakeMeGoFast has started posting in his build thread again and has thrown his hat in the ring - Another KLZE monster with promises of a built engine, IRTBs and some other bits and pieces - I get a feeling this KLZE thing is going to catch on!
  • JKPgt96 is building a KLZE powered 95 Ford Probe with all the trimmings

Last edited:
Sweet! I've always wanted to see this happen. Full build with all the goodies, hi-comp pistons, headwork, maybe ITBs, stand-alone for sure. It ought to do pretty good!

Easy.. I'll just take my 1.8 to the local tuner that installed my unichip and supposedly produced 127whp with just that and a cheap and nasty exhaust!

but I am already at 267whp.....does that mean i win? :)

I'm closer to winning than you... at least I actually have one of the cars and motors mentioned in this race! Oh I guess I don't have 200whp though, just 200wtq :(

im just cheating. I have a 2007 nissan 350z. I just wanted to sub to see updates in this race, as it should be interesting!

I'm considering a rule change to make it fairer - 100whp per L of displacement... so a FSDE needs only reach 199.1whp...(unless its overbored....)..what do you lot think?

time to work some overtime at work.
guesse suspension build up is gonna have to wait. damn you LordWorm

I'm considering a rule change to make it fairer - 100whp per L of displacement... so a FSDE needs only reach 199.1whp...(unless its overbored....)..what do you lot think?

yes. 2.5 KL series will get there quicker. but it would be fun tryin to squeeze 250hp out of a kl. especially in a protege

Last edited:
what are you at if you dont mind me askin. i know youve got a bit of a head start

what are you at if you dont mind me askin. i know youve got a bit of a head start

I'm way off the mark....
i'm probably sitting around the 90kW mark at the moment....(actually 0kW, car is on stands, engine is in pieces as of last night - manifolds are off, mounts are gone....)...so thats about 120hp I guess.

My only "advantage" is a slightly above average knowledge of the engineering required to push an NA motor to that kind of power....but being the nice guy that i am i'm willing to share (unless its something super stupid/highly experimental that i want to be the first to try...theres only 1 or 2 things like that that'll i'll keep up my sleeve)....

just tryin to remember what you had in your sig awhile back. this will be a fun goal to try to achieve. i just hope i can stay the course. I've been considering the KL for awhile now. this might be a deciding factor. and its a good reason to spend money on my car.

you have your NA experience, I work in machineshop.

Might aswell start talkin smack now. lol

you have your NA experience, I work in machineshop.

Might aswell start talkin smack now. lol

I'd love some engineering equipment... CNC welder and plasma cutter would have me bending rods on my motor already :) i've never had any of my modifications in my sig... But for the record: microtech LT10S, X4, bosch coils, 9mm leads, NGK sparkplugs, Big mofo twiggy cams.

the KL swap would be awesome, but it puts you in the unenviable position of having to make 250whp to win this race. Mind you, in real world terms, it'll be an awesome car to with a KL V6 under the hood....

i think it may been the NA Mod i was thinkin of awhile back who had all their mods in their sig with hp gains for each.

Back