Finally Installed a Good System (Pioneer)...

CXRabbit

:
2009 CX-9 TR +Kenwood DNX7020EX
(scroll down to my next reply for pictures)

If you read my "Here We Go" thread, you already know that I decided to pull out the OEM Nav/Radio and put in an Aftermarket one... I went with the Pioneer Z2.

I LOVE IT. The system really works great, sounds great and is 100 times better than the OEM Nav/Radio. I should have done this from the start.

Bluetooth works excellent. I've successfully paired with my new iPhone (I am the geek at heart) and there's no issues what-so-ever. It works superb.

I'm really enjoying XM Radio and having MLB in the car :) -- They have a great selection of channels as well, and the only regret I have is that I didn't switch from Sirius to XM sooner. I'm not a Stern fan, so no losses there. Plus I get Opie & Anthony instead ;)

Nav system seems really good so far. No mishaps yet. Routing seems accurate and direct. POIs seem relatively up-to-date, but no nav system is perfect in this regard; It is MUCH more up-to-date than the Mazda system. The voice commands work EXTREMELY well... I don't feel like I'm ever fighting to get it to understand me. It's also very comprehensive, so I can do an addressed search by saying "Destination... Address... Placeville... First Street.... 123" and low-and-behold there it is right on the map. Finding POIs is just as easy... "Vicinity Search... Starbucks" and the closest one comes up. You can control other aspects of the radio with Voice as well... for example "AV Operation... AV Source... XM" and the radio switched to XM. Wanna dial a phone number via bluetooth? "Call... Phone Number... (515) 555-1212..." it confirms and dials.

I love the live traffic reporting, but of course there's really no way for me to know how accurate it is right now (I don't commute in traffic daily... only when we travel). I won't know until we go on one of our long weekends and actually HIT traffic trying to get out of the NYC area.

Update: 8/8/07: Now that I've had it about a month the live traffic reporting seems fairly accurate (assuming the area you're in provides the information properly). I've been able to avoid several back-ups so far. There are a few ways to get the traffic info... there is a button that tunes you into your local traffic station. There is also an area in the menu that gives you a list of traffic events and reports on traffic flow (sortable alphabetically or by which is closest). And, on the map itself, if you're on a road where the city/county/state provides the info, you'll see what looks like a traffic light letting you know what's coming up ahead, and color indicators on the roads themselves to let you know how traffic is flowing (green means good, yellow means slow - and you see the approximate speed - and red, obviously, means a parking lot, LOL).

The iPod controls are great. My only gripe is that they are a little slow to react (not as speedy as using the iPod directly). Part of it is that we have a huge iPod library (nearly 8,000 songs) so finding something can be a little time consuming... My husband's car is better with Alpines iPod Full Speed connection, but I will say, even that isn't perfect. The biggest problem with the Z2 is if you want to find a specific song (out of 8,000, LOL), but I never do that anyway. I can get around most speed issues by using playlists and smart playlists, and just having a little patience. To give you an idea, I timed myself doing a search by artist. I wanted to go to "Matt Nathanson" (as N is sort of in the middle of the alphabet). Doing so the normal way it took me just under 2 minutes. Not a huge amount of time, but it can feel like a long time compared to when you search on the iPod directly, and when you are hitting the scroll down button for what feels like forever.

Either way, it's SO much better than NOT having an iPod connector, or having to deal with a crappy FM transmitter, or having to deal with no way to search through your songs at all. The interface is sorted just like the iPod is (Songs, Artists, Albums, Playlists) so you really can get to anything you want.

I haven't played with the hard drive music library yet. There is a way to rip songs to the hard drive and then using voice commands you can find anything. I may play with that more down the road, but right now carrying my 80 gig iPod around suits my needs just fine.

It also plays DVDs, but I haven't tried that at all (could care less honestly).

System sounds great... there are a lot of EQ presets, plus the ability to customize settings and save them.

There are two "issues" that still have to be "addressed". First is the Bypass (being able to control the Navigation System while the car is moving). The is a typical request people want when they have a nav system installed, because by law, the manufacturer has to make it so you CANNOT control the system when the car is going over 5 or 10 MPH. The Z2 can currently not be bypassed because no one has figured out how to accomplish it. My installer thought he could figure it out, but he couldn't... He hasn't given up though and we're staying on top of it, so if we get it done I'll let you all know.

It's not too big a deal to me right now because the voice activated commands work SO well that you can control most important things while on the move anyway.

UPDATE 7/24/07 -- see my reply below -- the Z2 is now bypassable, and I've installed the software update and it all works great!

The other "issue" is the steering wheel controls. The are multiiplexed (meaning at least part of the signal is digital). Tim has to figure out how to convert that signal back to analog and it's challenging... as far as we know, no one has successfully done it yet. If anyone out there has info, please share... if not, I'll let you know what we find out as time goes on too. Worst case scenario is probably that we have to wait for a harness to become available, which should be about the same time a dash kit comes available... predicted to be August.

Pictures below...

Last edited:
Info: Most info is in the original thread, but here's some tidbits...

The work was done by Tim and Jazz Audio in Selden, NY. They did an outstanding job! I couldn't be happier.

Tim was able to tap into the existing rear camera and existing microphone. He also built the dash kit by taking apart the Mazda Nav/Radio, hence the reason it looks similar and has a real OEM look. In addition I have blacked out the Pioneer lettering along the top of the radio.

We didn't use a harness to tap into the Bose Amp (I didn't do Amp and Speakers at this point). He rewired the car and went straight from the radio (high powered output) to the Bose speakers. They sound excellent. No, I'm not getting "boom boom" down the road loud, but you get plenty of good CLEAN loud. The door subs definitely provide enough base. I'm nearly 40 years old, so I don't need teenager boom boom. LOL. My husband is an audio engineer and he thinks is sounds very good.

As stated above, steering wheel controls don't yet work. There is also no way to set the clock on the upper dash display (since it was controlled by the OEM radio), but the clock DOES work (and currently shows the right time) and all the climate control displays and functions work just fine (they aren't tied into the radio). I am hoping that Mazda can set the clock through the PCM/ECM computer when the day light savings changes it by an hour again.

Photos:

BEFORE...

cx704.jpg

and
AFTER...

Bootup and Menu...

off.jpg

bootup.jpg

menu.jpg

iPod...

ipod_search.jpg

ipod_browsing.jpg

ipod_playing.jpg

Navigation...

nav1.jpg

nav2.jpg

nav3.jpg

Phone, XM, Rear-View Camera and More...

phone.jpg

xm.jpg

rearcamera.jpg

hide.jpg

When it's open to insert a DVD or CD... also shows the Hard Drive (oops, it's a little dirty at the bottom, LOL)

open.jpg

Last edited:
Really nice Amy. I will also have my own Alpine journey soon...that is, if it the HU will be user-friendly and bug-free. The IVA-W205 integrates steering wheel controls so thats a plus. But we'll see. Otherwise, i will get the Z2.

Question:

1. Are the buttons on the side (OEM) such as menu, navi, rtn, tune/seek useless now? Or, do some of them still work. Does the hazard button work?

2. Can you post a video?

Shaz said:
Really nice Amy. I will also have my own Alpine journey soon...that is, if it the HU will be user-friendly and bug-free. The IVA-W205 integrates steering wheel controls so thats a plus. But we'll see. Otherwise, i will get the Z2.

Question:

1. Are the buttons on the side (OEM) such as menu, navi, rtn, tune/seek useless now? Or, do some of them still work. Does the hazard button work?

2. Can you post a video?

I'm not sure if I'm ambitious enough to post a video... LOL... we'll see ;)

The buttons that were part of the OEM Radio/Nav are useless. They don't do anything. There are just there as part of the custom dash kit so it's not just black plastic (which is what dash kits will look like). The hazards work just fine. The whole thing is one piece (see photo below) that was part of the front plate on the OEM Radio/Nav, and the hole for the hazards was already there... the plug that goes to the hazards is not part of the radio.

cx7z008details.sized.jpg

I think you'll like the iPod interface for the Alpine a lot. My husband likes his and he doesn't even have a double-din unit (I posted photos of his non-mazda car radio installation a while back). Be SURE you know for a fact the steering wheel controls will work... Tim was almost positive the universal pioneer control would work on the CX-7, but it did not because of the multiplex (digital) issue... and according to a few sources, no one has successfully concoured it yet. If you find anything out, let me know :) -- I'll do the same.

Last edited:
Steering Wheel Controls...

Hi CXRabbit

I've been looking at upgrading my unit to a Pioneer as well and with the Scosche dash kit out now, the only thing stopping me is the steering wheel controls (I like having them) :)

Anyways, I found this on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Peripheral-PESWI...2QQihZ010QQcategoryZ60208QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And here is the makers website:

http://www.peripheralelectronics.com/home.asp

I asked the seller and he says that the unit works with the CX-7. So since you're 98% of the way there, perhaps this is worth looking into.

In the meantime I'm trying to decide what head unit to actually buy.

If you've found another solution or try this item out please post the results!

Good luck!

Thanks Emgee... I'll check it out.

I cannot tell you how happy I've been with the Z2 -- and now that the bypass is out it's even better (and I just installed the software tonight, and because Tim, the installer, had already wired it for bypass, it all went very smooth). Yes folks, you heard that right, the Z2 is now bypassable!

Z2 Bypass - Link to More Info

(For anyone who doesn't know, that means you can use it while the car is in motion -- options are not greyed out).

I cannot express how happy I am with the install, with Jazz and Tim and the job they did, and how much it makes my experience driving the CX-7 all that much better. I finally feel like the car is EXACTLY how I want it!

Hope you all enjoyed my journey and the photos...

Last edited:
I want one...

Very nice. I was thinking of just integrating amps/subs/speakers with the in dash 6 disk mp3 player, but now maybe I'll replace with a double din.

I want one...

Very nice. I was thinking of just integrating amps/subs/speakers with the in dash 6 disk mp3 player, but now maybe I'll replace with a double din.

Go for it :)
I'm eventually going to do amp and speakers too, but I'll tell ya, the Bose System sounds pretty darn good with the new Pioneer HU.

I have Tim looking into this one:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-x94L6xBMs7c/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?search=127SWIPS&i=127SWIPS

(same thing)... I found a guy on another forum, a car audio forum, that actually successfully used it on a CX-7 with a different Pioneer deck... but he said it should work with the Z2 also. I didn't want to try it until I KNEW someone used it on a CX-7, and now I've found someone ;)

With any luck, I'll have the steering wheel controls working soon!

More pics...

First, the upper dash display still working...

upperdash.jpg

Also, you can customize your backgrounds with your own photos... I've now done this...

My bootup screen:

cboot.jpg

My navigation menu background:

cnav.jpg

cnav2.jpg

My AV/music background:

cipod.jpg

Last edited:
^I think all aftermarket radios will show time nowadays... could be wrong? Even still I would have to disconnect the LED's on that factory screen or something if it were showing the wrong time. I am anal retentive like that. ;)

The upper display is showing the right time.

The unit itself also shows the time.

I talked to the service manager at my dealership and when the time comes they'll try to set the clock on the upper dash display through their shop computer.... They aren't going to try today (I'm at the dealership now) but when day light savings comes in November they'll give it a shot.

Also, I talked to my installer and it looks like we're going to give the Peripheral steering wheel interface a shot... Should know more in a few days.

Back