Engine Drop... Not Happy >> Dangerous And It Should Be Recall>> Almost Crash

mafanchai

:
mazdaspeed 3
Engine Drop... Not Happy >> Dangerous And It Should Be Recall>> Almost Crash

Hey All,

I know some of the guys in this forum had a drop engine. I thought it would never happen to me... until today. It happen while i was exiting the highway shifting from 2nd to 3rd... out of a sudden .. BOOOOOm ... crack crack.. .It scare the s*** out of me and i almost crash to my friends car in the front. The engine fall to the front ... it crack the axle from the sound of it while pushing, it hit the radiator. The pulley and belts are on the engine bay paint.. and god knows what other stuff.

With all that being said, i am fine (i could have seriously gotten into a much much more dangerous situation if it had happen on the highway at lets say 60mph). Those who had the same situation , please let me know how Mazda had dealt with it. From what i know ... there are at least 20ppl that had gone through this. I do not want the car repair, i want a new one.. it is 6 months old.. and it shouldn't happen(NEVER HEARD OF A DROP ENGINE). Can you confirm with me if this had happen to you so i know what direction to take, I seriously want Mazda to recall this problem and address it before anyone gets hurt and of course i will notified the transportation department ... and my mechanic is suggesting a lawsuit.

Again, guys .... if this has not happen to you ... YET, becareful out there, IT DOES HAPPEN. ENGINE DROP > IN > A > MAZDASPEED 3 IS HAPPENING.

Attachments

• 2007_0603enginemazdaspeed30001.JPG
    2007_0603enginemazdaspeed30001.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 3,057
  • 2007_0603enginemazdaspeed30003.JPG
    2007_0603enginemazdaspeed30003.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 637
  • 2007_0603enginemazdaspeed30004.JPG
    2007_0603enginemazdaspeed30004.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 614
Last edited:
This is getting crazy. I feel like a pussy because im feeling myself thinking more and more of this when im ripping it up. Like if im hauling down the highway what would happen if all of a sudden in traffic it just explodes.

Mazda is not going to give you a new car, unless you get a lawyer and find out what the lemon laws are in your state. Sorry to hear about your engine and I think you should sue mazda. A guy on another forum is trying to get a class action law suit together. I would post a link but this forum doesn't want its users to know any other forum exists.

Wow that is craptastic man. I hope its just bad things that happen to first model year MS3. Sounds worse than all the MSP owners go through.

Looking at the NHTSA website, the first complaint was received March 13. Up to this date, only four complaints, total, have been received to the NHTSA.

For reference, here's the NHTSA Action Number: PE07015

If there are "20+" of these incidents, more people have to register the complaint with NHTSA, or nothing will happen on that end.

Thanks

dread said:
Mazda is not going to give you a new car, unless you get a lawyer and find out what the lemon laws are in your state. Sorry to hear about your engine and I think you should sue mazda. A guy on another forum is trying to get a class action law suit together. I would post a link but this forum doesn't want its users to know any other forum exists.

could you email the link if possible .. Thanks

dread said:
PM him atleast. I can't imagine the "powers that be" keeping us from sharing information like this. Even if the other forums "don't exsist" we still should "share" knowledge ;) This is something serious that Mazda should address.

Not to be an asshole, but would you mind posting pictures of your engine bay i'm curious what it looks like.

Damn, it seems like at least once a week it's someone new posting about this happening to them. I just wonder when my time will be too. A few questions for ya? Do you ever take your car to the 1/4 mile and do runs and do you every launch your car from a dig on the streets and how many miles are on your car? Thanks

P.S. Mazda, please do something about this in the states!!!

Last edited:
FI_FSDE said:
PM him atleast. I can't imagine the "powers that be" keeping us from sharing information like this. Even if the other forums "don't exsist" we still should "share" knowledge ;) This is something serious that Mazda should address.

links to websites are even deleted in pm's

"20 cases," "One every other week" Not even close. 4 reported cases so far. Not that I would like to see even 1, but let's keep this in prespective. MS3s in Japan have been recalled to fix the transmisssion mount problems. US will be any day now.

chaos4 said:
"20 cases," "One every other week" Not even close. 4 reported cases so far. Not that I would like to see even 1, but let's keep this in prespective. MS3s in Japan have been recalled to fix the transmisssion mount problems. US will be any day now.[/QUOT

4 reported to the nhtsa, but there are alot more which is not reported to them. It is not about waiting for the recall, but rather it is a know case and they should address it to the owners to come in and have the dealer tighten it. The result of not doing that and pretend that it is not a problem is a problem to me. They are seeing profit but not with customer safety in mind and i hate to see a corp. have that mentality. Policy or cost is not the fact here but SAFETY is,(mine, yours and all others) I could have been easily on the highway doing 80 and _________? No recall, No money is more important then me right now or even bystander.

Ms3InMd said:
Not to be an asshole, but would you mind posting pictures of your engine bay i'm curious what it looks like.

No you are not an asshole , yes .. i did have my camera and here you go .. ! ENJOY MY DROP ENGINE BAY =]

Did you have any indication of this happening at all?

Once it happened how did the car react?

What is your build date?

Well I sure freaking hope that the US recall gets a move on this since I would hate to have this happen to me.

whitey4311 said:
Did you have any indication of this happening at all?

Once it happened how did the car react?

What is your build date?

Well I sure freaking hope that the US recall gets a move on this since I would hate to have this happen to me.

no indication ... just kind of happen.. ! I don't know where to look for my build date but ... i got the car once it came out nov/06. 10k miles had MS CAI install 3 months ago . got it from protege garage.. great people, great price.

mafanchai said:
no indication ... just kind of happen.. ! I don't know where to look for my build date but ... i got the car once it came out nov/06. 10k miles had MS CAI install 3 months ago . got it from protege garage.. great people, great price.

Your build date is printed on a sticker inside you drivers side door. It sounds like you have an early build date.

dano said:
Looking at the NHTSA website, the first complaint was received March 13. Up to this date, only four complaints, total, have been received to the NHTSA.

For reference, here's the NHTSA Action Number: PE07015

If there are "20+" of these incidents, more people have to register the complaint with NHTSA, or nothing will happen on that end.

EXACTLY!!! I have read close to a dozen different incidents on this forum and others and if it's not reported to the NHTSA, NOTHING will happen or it will prolong it for sure.

If this has happend to you, go to the NHTSA Website and report it. It takes all of five minutes. Even if you caught the bolt backed out and torqued it back down yourself, I would report it.

I have to add something here.
I'm also a fellow MS3 owner that had the nasty engine drop problem.
Although its nasty sounding and it is a problem, to be honest you don't loose control of your car. I'm pretty sure all reported cases so far happened in 1st or 2nd gear and well after seeing what happened to my car, it doesn't inhibit you from steering or stopping the car. yes it breaks an axle on ocasion and well it also tears up s*** in the engine bay, but most of this is easily repairable. Mine Could have been done in a day if the dealer had my parts and if the dealer didn't have to wait on the tech rep.

Mazda does need to address this, and i do forsee a recall, but for now its just one of those new car bugs. Its bad one, but they'll get it straightend out. I won't stop driving the car hard. thats for sure.......infact if it happens again i then get to file lemon law suit and get my money back for a different car.
Get the car fixed and keep driving. As for the rest of you out there. Keep driving your car the way you have been. If it breaks get it fixed, If it don't keep on rollin.

Back