Another One Bites the Dust! - Motor Mount Failure! = Oh NOES!

EDITED 4/30/07 TO ADD PICS!!

Hi guys. What a great day!

Today, while out driving and enjoying the new amps I put in my car, I was heading to a buffet to eat and relax. I was in the right hand lane, about to take a turn, when suddenly the engine compartment erupted with clanging and metal-on-concrete scraping noises! I coasted to a stop, and shut the car down immediately, but I already knew what happened. The Driver's side motor mount sheared off, and dropped the engine out from under the engine bay. The driveshafts, exhaust, intake, wiring...yeah just about everything - is ruined.

I know that Speed 3's have this problem, I just didn't think it would happen to me. In fact, during my first oil change, I had the Mazda service shop check that bolt specifically, because I was afraid of it. I also checked it myself as soon as I heard about it, and noticed that it was tight (from where I could tell.) Apparently, I was very very wrong.

I'll keep this thread updated with how Mazda handles it. Its in their hands now.

LOOKIE, PICS!

Motor_Mount_Failure1_by_Fourthmeal.jpg

Motor_Mount_Failure2_by_Fourthmeal.jpg

Motor_Mount_Failure3_by_Fourthmeal.jpg

Motor_Mount_Failure5_by_Fourthmeal.jpg

Motor_Mount_Failure6_by_Fourthmeal.jpg

THE BOLT SNAPPED!!! EEEK!!

now what?

Last edited:
fourthmeal said:
Hi guys. What a great day!

Today, while out driving and enjoying the new amps I put in my car, I was heading to a buffet to eat and relax. I was in the right hand lane, about to take a turn, when suddenly the engine compartment erupted with clanging and metal-on-concrete scraping noises! I coasted to a stop, and shut the car down immediately, but I already knew what happened. The Driver's side motor mount sheared off, and dropped the engine out from under the engine bay. The driveshafts, exhaust, intake, wiring...yeah just about everything - is ruined.

I know that Speed 3's have this problem, I just didn't think it would happen to me. In fact, during my first oil change, I had the Mazda service shop check that bolt specifically, because I was afraid of it. I also checked it myself as soon as I heard about it, and noticed that it was tight (from where I could tell.) Apparently, I was very very wrong.

I'll keep this thread updated with how Mazda handles it. Its in their hands now.

HOLY GIZ-AWD! That sucks! I hope they fix you up quickly.

Sorry to hear it, glad no one was hurt.
I asked my service guy to check the bolts and he wouldn't because there wasn't anything in the computer that told him he "should".
Make sure you put a complaint in with the NHTSA.

It will be a 5K to 10K warranty repair... nondual had the same thing happen and they ended up replacing the engine and tranny if I recall correctly.. you would think that with a 5K to 10K warranty job on a car with 5K unit run that they would do a TSB on it by now....

Question I have is: Did the bolt come lose or did the mount shear off?

Vixen said:
Sorry to hear it, glad no one was hurt.
I asked my service guy to check the bolts and he wouldn't because there wasn't anything in the computer that told him he "should".
Make sure you put a complaint in with the NHTSA.

+1.... Glad your ok and definitely make a formal complaint on the NHTSA Website. This in another issue that is begining to tick me off. What's it going to take for a recall on this? Hopefully someone does not lose their life. This is a serious matter for sure.

I'll check on the shearing/breaking/or loosening thing when i see the car again. I checked the bolt under the battery box when I pulled the box to install 4 gauge power wire. I figured I was there, so I'd check it. I was tight.

The car has 6260 miles on it.

And, I'll keep you guys updated.

Mocoso said:
It will be a 5K to 10K warranty repair... nondual had the same thing happen and they ended up replacing the engine and tranny if I recall correctly.. you would think that with a 5K to 10K warranty job on a car with 5K unit run that they would do a TSB on it by now....

Question I have is: Did the bolt come lose or did the mount shear off?

I don't think they replaced the engine and transmission. I think they just fixed what was broken. (mount, radiator, fans,)

I hope this has been fixed with the newer made MS3's but I guess having bought the 100k bumper to bumper warranty makes me not too worried about this.

I dont abuse my car and dont drive it like I hate it so hopefully all will be well. I get my foot into it every now and then but no hard shifts since I like to care for my things.

Not sure if that has anything to do with it but at any rate hammering the throttle and hard shifts could very well contribute to this.

I would like to know more about this though so keep us posted.

Back when I had a Ford Contour (lol) I punched the gas as hard as I could in anger once and the engine literally exploded.

Glad to hear you are Ok. I ask my dealer service department before I took delivery last week if there was an update to the motor mount.

The reply was "we have not seen any problems so no update is needed."

Sorry, I'm used to a "Wild Child" version of a car being able to take the stress of daily spirited driving. Keep in mind, I was going about 30 or so, slowing for a turn and performing a simple heel-toe downshift into 3rd when this happened.

Lets see:

2 Turbo Supras
1 Trans-Am
1 Mustang GT
1 Celica GTS
1 RX-7
2 240sx's

All of those kept their motor in their mounts. And, needless to say I drove the bejeezus out of some of those cars.

I asked my stealership to check the engine mount bolts, they said we'll be glad to do it but we have to charge you 1.5 hrs labor. My jaw dropped and I told them no way - this is a NEW car. So they wouldn't do anything without $$$$ - crooks.

Didn't someone mention that Mazda has since changed something on newer production MS3's to keep this from happening??

Is there a 'cutoff' date to look for? Mine was manufactured in 12/06... do I need to worry?

Is this the same mount that everyone is upgrading anyway? I just got my mounts from SU today. If so, that is telling in itself that so many have already made some changes. (five-0)

I have 16k with no problems other than trimming the ETS from Hard shifts.... (drunk)

fourthmeal said:
I'll check on the shearing/breaking/or loosening thing when i see the car again. I checked the bolt under the battery box when I pulled the box to install 4 gauge power wire. I figured I was there, so I'd check it. I was tight.

The car has 6260 miles on it.

And, I'll keep you guys updated.

First off, sorry this happened, hopefully you'll be back on the road soon.

Second, when you say it was tight, did you put a torque wrench to it? If you didn't, it would seem tight even though it might only be torqued to 25 ft/lbs or so which a few members discovered. It should be at least 75 ft/lbs from what
I understand. Some members even recommend using a floor jack to support the transmission while checking it.

I didn't take it that far. I just checked it with the wrench I had in my hand, the smaller one used to take off the battery box.

However, during an oil change and a reflash, I asked the service writer to check them all. That was the end of the convo because he said they were "all good"

Back