Pistons and Rods for 1.6L from Miata?

Hey guys, i've heard that the Pistons from the Miata 1.6L (1989-1993) will fit out engines, will also the rods? Like we all know the Z engine is an evolution of the B engine, therefore i have been thinking that maybe lots of parts from the Miata will fit our engines therefore we can make it perform better.

Any toughts?

Well I'm pretty sure some of the stuff would work without any trouble. As for the rods I have no idea.

Please keep me updated on this man, with Pistons and Rods from the Miata wich are lighter and stronger than ours, our cars should move a little bit better and have a better response.

unwritten-dinas said:
Please keep me updated on this man, with Pistons and Rods from the Miata wich are lighter and stronger than ours, our cars should move a little bit better and have a better response.

Um stronger NO maybe alittle lighter. Do you have any idea how strong the zm pistons and rods are? 30+ psi stock. Just FYI.

NA wise they would be a nice addition though. For a bit more pep.

ALso see here
http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache...ars&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=firefox-a

Hello,

There some part for N/A tunning for the 1.6l

The ZL-VE head with Sequential Valve Timing

Here from the protege faq the head sould fit:

Any ZL (1.5l) botom end parts will work with the 1.6l (ZM-DE) engine.The ZL-VE head (which has S-VT) is a direct swap to the ZM-DE engine.
source:http://web2.airmail.net/theman/prote...ds_engine.html

also the after market piston from B6 miata engin should fit.

Because B6 and ZM-DE have the same bore and stroke : 78 /83.6

you can found here the info: http://members.aol.com/solomiata/MX5Engine.html

at the bottom of the page

or here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_B_engine

11:1 compression toda racing piston or wisco piston for b6 11.1 compression but 80mm bore vs 81 mm for toda

The piston look like have same size of connecting rod pin

according to this site : http://www.rpmrons.com/MazdaRods.html

Because the part number for the B6 SOHC connecting rod are: CRMA9

the connecting rod part number for ZM- De are: CRMA9

And connecting rod part number for miata b6 are: RMA13

you can't swap internal part from b6 SOHC to a do DOHC

Basicly CRMA13 and CRMA9 are Interchangeable part.

The piston from toda racing are over sise 81mm vs 78mm for stock. The ZM-DE(1.6)

There the information about the ZM-DE and B6 share some part

The 'Z' engines are a new family which is an evoltion of the 'B' engine. The head is entirely different with round ports and narrow valve angles but the shortblock is nearly the same as the B6.

source:http://members.aol.com/solomiata/MX5Engine.html

The intake manifold on 1.6 found in europe have dual runner.

There for more info on protege faq

web2.airmail.net/theman/protegefaq

Your get more power because with after market piston from B6 have more bore 81 mm that meen bigger volume for the combustion chamber. Also Sequential Valve Timing and dual runner intake manifold. Of course you need the ZL-DE ecu or mesquite or other stand alone ecu for control the Sequential Valve Timing.

With all those part I tink you will achive your goal.

Seb

zerocover said:

The pistons from the Miata works, great!! So by swapping those from the B6 into the ZM-DE, us 1.6 guys will benefit with more "pep in the step", right? As far as rods go, we should just leave them alone because the stock ones are strong and light enough as is, correct? Where can we get our hands on a set of pistons from the Miata? probably Corksport and/or Protege Garage?

So how does something like this sound for upgraded internals: ZL-VE cams and cam gears with B6 pistons from Miata? Maybe couple that with a UDP kit from SR Motorsports?

Found some info for the 1.6L and 2.0L FS

What engine internal parts are interchangable in the Proteg?
1st generations:
Any 1.6l Miata engine bottom end parts will work with the 1.6l engine in the 323.
Any 1.8l Miata engine bottom end parts will work with the Proteg.
Any 1.8l Miata (94-97 only) engine top end parts will work with the BP Proteg's.
Any bottom end parts for the 1st generation Proteg are interchangable.
MazdaSpeed 11.0:1 pistons for the BP-ZE are available (part #: QEP5-11-100)
2nd generations:
There are no interchangable parts for the Z5-DE engine.
Any 1.8l Miata engine bottom end parts will work with the BP engined Proteg's.
Any 1.8l Miata (94-97 only) engine top end parts will work with the BP Proteg's.
Any bottom end parts for the 1st generation Proteg are interchangable with the BP
engined Proteg's.
3rd generation:
Any ZL (1.5l) botom end parts will work with the 1.6l (ZM-DE) engine.
The ZL-VE head (which has S-VT) is a direct swap to the ZM-DE engine. You will
need to figure out a way to control the hydraulic controller that varies the intake cam
timing. This system is similar to the one used in the 2001+ Miata BP-VE engines, so
talk to the Miata guys about it the S-VT on their cars to learn more.
Any ZL-DE top end parts will work with the ZM-DE engine.
European spec ZM-DE 9.4:1 pistons are also available:
ZMY1-11-SA0A normal size
ZMY1-11-SB0A .025 oversize
ZMY1-11-SBXA .050 oversize
Most FP and FS engine parts are interchangable.
As for FS-DE 9.7:1 (9.1:1 when used with FP-DE) pistons:
FPY1-11-SA0E normal size
FPY1-11-SB0E .025 oversize
FPY1-11-SBXE .050 oversize
As for FS-ZE 10.4:1 (9.7:1 when used with FP-DE) pistons:
FPY2-11-SA0B normal size
FPY2-11-SB0B .025 oversize
FPY2-11-SBXB .050 oversize
As for FS-ZE 10.7:1 pistons from the MazdaSpeed Familia:
FSY4-11-SA0 normal size
FSY4-11-SB0 .025 oversize
FSY4-11-SBX .050 oversize

I pm'd theman, he couldn't say for sure but another forum member said he just finished his build with b6 internals.

edit - the pistons were skimmed down to fit the block

Last edited:
Hmmmm... For more Zip I would go with the european spec high compression pistons.

I live in D.R dude (Dominican Republic), Mazda here is expensive as hell and like we get Japanese versions of the car, they would need to import it. Our 323 (Protege) are much faster than 1.6L USDM market ones tough, our cars weight much less.

Back