EVO vs. Mazda Protege - What was done??

Nvr2old34

:
2003 Mitsubishi Evolution
Well, I'm kind of new to this forum and I don't drive a Mazda so try not to flame too bad. Our EvoM forums don't allow street racing...

This afternoon I was driving normal on the way home from work. Well, while sitting there driving like grandma (yes, I'm feeling my age 34) I heard a pretty loud noise coming up on my left. Of course the noise was a nice sounding exhaust.. I look over and saw a M Protege passing me pretty quick. Once he got up in front of me a few cars, he backed it down a bit and started slowing and then speeding up again. He did this a few times. Well, I don't really street race, not that I don't like it, but it had a been a pretty long day and I was just relaxing and enjoying the drive home. Well, after a few more moments of playing around, he slowed down and got right beside me. To be honest, the way his car sounding I was a little worried. It sounded and looked pretty nice (Silver). I could tell he had done some pretty good modding to it. You could hear the turbo which was as loud as mine and it seemed like he may have had a bigger turbo in there because when he got on a few times prior to slowing up next to me there was some lag and then it just took off.
Well, I don't want to make this too long so I'll get to the point. When he pulled up beside me I actually downshifted to 3rd. He did the same, but not sure which gear he would be in at that speed. I'd say we were doing about 60 or so before we took off. We didn't do the 3 horn honk which is something I seem to always forget. Anyway, at this point he took off and I followed suit. Through 3rd I probably had a car on him but then hit the rev limiter. Didn't really matter as we had to slow down pretty quick (traffic coming up). We got beside each other again and slowed down to give plenty of space. We took off again at the same time. This time we got up to about 100 or so and then hit the brakes. I'd say after hitting 4th I started pulling away but only had about 2 or so cars on him. After that run we met up again and he gave me a thumbs up and I returned the favor. I can't believe how fast that da'mn car was. I run high 11's and trap 118 and I didn't pull on him that hard even though I pulled away. What could he have had done to that darn thing. I must say, I was highly impressed. That was a pretty nice sleeper with the exception of the louder exhaust.

Well, this has gone a little longer then it should have so I'll give thanks for those who made it through. Anyway, anyone know someone in the Cincinnati area with a fast as he'l M Protege. Were always looking for new car club members, no matter what kind of "fast" car you drive.
Mike

Welcome to the forum....there's alot of protege's running some power..it's also good to see a positive comment about our protege's from a EVO member...again welcome

Jeremy
Nvr2old34 said:
Well, I'm kind of new to this forum and I don't drive a Mazda so try not to flame too bad. Our EvoM forums don't allow street racing...

This afternoon I was driving normal on the way home from work. Well, while sitting there driving like grandma (yes, I'm feeling my age 34) I heard a pretty loud noise coming up on my left. Of course the noise was a nice sounding exhaust.. I look over and saw a M Protege passing me pretty quick. Once he got up in front of me a few cars, he backed it down a bit and started slowing and then speeding up again. He did this a few times. Well, I don't really street race, not that I don't like it, but it had a been a pretty long day and I was just relaxing and enjoying the drive home. Well, after a few more moments of playing around, he slowed down and got right beside me. To be honest, the way his car sounding I was a little worried. It sounded and looked pretty nice (Silver). I could tell he had done some pretty good modding to it. You could hear the turbo which was as loud as mine and it seemed like he may have had a bigger turbo in there because when he got on a few times prior to slowing up next to me there was some lag and then it just took off.
Well, I don't want to make this too long so I'll get to the point. When he pulled up beside me I actually downshifted to 3rd. He did the same, but not sure which gear he would be in at that speed. I'd say we were doing about 60 or so before we took off. We didn't do the 3 horn honk which is something I seem to always forget. Anyway, at this point he took off and I followed suit. Through 3rd I probably had a car on him but then hit the rev limiter. Didn't really matter as we had to slow down pretty quick (traffic coming up). We got beside each other again and slowed down to give plenty of space. We took off again at the same time. This time we got up to about 100 or so and then hit the brakes. I'd say after hitting 4th I started pulling away but only had about 2 or so cars on him. After that run we met up again and he gave me a thumbs up and I returned the favor. I can't believe how fast that da'mn car was. I run high 11's and trap 118 and I didn't pull on him that hard even though I pulled away. What could he have had done to that darn thing. I must say, I was highly impressed. That was a pretty nice sleeper with the exception of the louder exhaust.

Well, this has gone a little longer then it should have so I'll give thanks for those who made it through. Anyway, anyone know someone in the Cincinnati area with a fast as he'l M Protege. Were always looking for new car club members, no matter what kind of "fast" car you drive.
Mike

There are a few high 300/low 400hp turbo proteges doing the rounds :)

Theres one on the forum that runs into the 11s that i know of.

Thanks Jeremy. Not a problem on the positive comment. I give credit where credit is due. That was one sick car and I really liked the way it looked and sounded. :)

LordWorm said:
There are a few high 300/low 400hp turbo proteges doing the rounds :)

Theres one on the forum that runs into the 11s that i know of.

That's just nuts. What kind of power can you max on the stock turbo? I'm assuming these 300 to 400 hp cars have upgraded turbos? It sounded like the one I raced may have had one but not sure... Sounded sick!

Nvr2old34 said:
That's just nuts. What kind of power can you max on the stock turbo? I'm assuming these 300 to 400 hp cars have upgraded turbos? It sounded like the one I raced may have had one but not sure... Sounded sick!
er, yeh the big power guys are anything but stock ;)

Usually custom turbo setups too - not off the shelf kits....

I don't know specifics because i'm an all motor warrior and lurk on the NA forums most of the time.

The motors themselves are relativly strong.... anecdotal evidence suggests the crank would be good for 500 horsies, block is indestructable - only weak thing really is the rods which get replaced as par for the course...

Theres a thread on general tech forum showing a power ladder which has just started out..you can see some of the power they guys make on that thread.

turbo for that kind of power on a protege would be the GT28-RS (disco potatoe) and upwards to the GT30R...some guys are running the T3 turbo with alot of success along with the T3/T04 hybrid..

Jeremy

There are also some factory freaks out there that have been tuned to run like the one you encountered.

DAWIV said:
There are also some factory freaks out there that have been tuned to run like the one you encountered.

a stock MSP running bottom 12s? Ive heard of factory freaks, but never 3 seconds faster than the average of its kind..

you cant compare a quarter mile time with just a rolling start on the highway. different powerbands has so much to do with how a car can run. everytime i see an evo on the highway i try to play around to see how i do against it

and nvr2old34 i live in nky and drive in cincy all the time. it might have been me. lol

kys10x said:
you cant compare a quarter mile time with just a rolling start on the highway. different powerbands has so much to do with how a car can run. everytime i see an evo on the highway i try to play around to see how i do against it

and nvr2old34 i live in nky and drive in cincy all the time. it might have been me. lol

Thats why I said bottom 12s since the guy with the EVO runs high 11s @118.. So basically what you're telling me is that there are bone stock MSP's out there trapping 110+ in the 1/4? I call BS on that one..

kys10x said:

If it was, I'm pretty impressed! I agree with you on the power bands. Roll racing an AWD car sucks too. I'd have to guess that you've probably hung with a few stock EVO's too roll racing?

So, was it you? (Mar 26th - evening going 275 east)

no thats not what i'm saying i'm not a f*cking retard. msp's are not fast stock, nor do they sound good, he said it sounded good. also evos are all wheel remember. that has a lot to do with their times. and i am not saying my car is fast either. all i was saying is everyonce in while when i am not heat soaked my car will surprise some people.

Your missing the point. The two cars were "roll" racing if thats what you want to call it. My comment was simply referring to MSP's that have not had their engine internals changed but are running EMS with a good tune.

If those two cars would of raced from a dig and the EVO truely does run an 11.7 it would just be a massacre.

glad you posted a date! that was monday i didnt get home till tuesday morning from flordia so it wasnt me. if you ever see mine it will be stock silver msp with a 3" turbo back and look for the front mount (will be installed shortly i just got make room in the garage.) since your from cincy, would you eer wanna cruise around?

Nvr2old34 said:

Welcome to the forum.

Basically, the MSP is capable as a platform. However, the EVO starts from stock as a car that takes easily to modifications.

The drivetrain is a massive advantage from a Dig, but personally, I don't see it being as big an advantage if you are roll racing (More Common on the street)

The EVO is a killer platform, if you put the level of mods required to make an MSP fast, on an EVO, you will win every time in the Mits.

The MSP is a fantastic car, it was the first real Factory Tuner car available here, (SVT FOCUS SUCKED).

Again, welcome to the forum and being the first non mazda member who didn't start s***. :) (Recent Memory) You are a credit to your forum.

Regards

kys10x said:
no thats not what i'm saying i'm not a f*cking retard. msp's are not fast stock, nor do they sound good, he said it sounded good. also evos are all wheel remember. that has a lot to do with their times. and i am not saying my car is fast either. all i was saying is everyonce in while when i am not heat soaked my car will surprise some people.

no s***.. I never said msp's were fast, well because they arent and never will be.. Yes, I know evo's are awd.. but awd actually hurts their trap speeds (having to send power to 4 wheels instead of 2).. I dont know where you're going with this..

I was just asking how a STOCK MSP could hang with an evo from a roll (besides driver error)..

DAWIV said:
Your missing the point. The two cars were "roll" racing if thats what you want to call it. My comment was simply referring to MSP's that have not had their engine internals changed but are running EMS with a good tune.

If those two cars would of raced from a dig and the EVO truely does run an 11.7 it would just be a massacre.

Since when can you get an EMS from the factory?

ItsSlow said:
Since when can you get an EMS from the factory?

Dude, you keep missing what he is saying. He is saying factory engine and turbo. No one said anything about a bone stock car. This is a stupid argument. Just stop.

Nvr2old34, thanks for stopping in. More pics and mod info on the EVO would be much appreciated. (thumb)

Back