Hatch prop SNAPPED!!

Crazee D

Contributor
:
White P5 go-kart
Today the hatch prop decided to snap right the **** off! (shocked)

Nothing happened to it at all, I just squeeze the handle, lift and get poked by a fully extended passenger side prop!

OFC, I got the car runnin, its dark and 2 screamin kids strapped in their seats already. Oh, and its freakin cold out too!
The mount that attaches to the hatch side cleaved / sheared from the little ball (heim joint?) in the hatch side bracket.
I was like WTF ?!?!
I can break anything, now without even apparently trying to mod it first!
I can't even budge the piston back in. So i try to see if the hatch will close and it sorta could catch the latch but the prop is sticking out over the tail light.

OY! Why do these things happen to me? Now what do I do? *sob*

Attachments

• Hatch prop 1.jpg
    Hatch prop 1.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 686
  • Hatch prop 2.jpg
    Hatch prop 2.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 690
  • Hatch prop 3.jpg
    Hatch prop 3.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 682
  • Hatch prop 4.jpg
    Hatch prop 4.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 629
  • Hatch mount 1.jpg
    Hatch mount 1.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 681
Last edited:
:( (wow) :'( (scratch) (uhm) (hand) (cryhard) (dunno) (headshake dan, dan, dan!

You can buy those hydraulic pistons at Advance auto for like $15. It'll just unbolt. looks like the bottom where it meatst he body has 2 bolts on bracket, undo those, then remove the bolt (Torx?) from it. looks like just a nut on the other end? worst case you'll have to remove the hatch trim to get at it but maybe not. No big deal.....

Oh re: "what do I do?" when thsi happened on my old Cherokee and i was a poor college kid, I just took the piston off. Nabbed a broom handle, kept it back there, just usedi t to prop the hatch open. That worked for 2 years...

trying to close the hatch with that thing hanging around = lovely body damage... great idea! should've just broke the rest of that piece of s*** off the car if you needed to close the hatch right then

TheMAN said:
trying to close the hatch with that thing hanging around = lovely body damage... great idea! should've just broke the rest of that piece of s*** off the car if you needed to close the hatch right then

Word. But ... I know first hand how two screaming kids warp the space-time and judgment continuum :(. Be careful with the repair. I straight-up almost killed myself around '93 replacing the hatch struts on this ...
HON2004081764702_pv.jpg

The stockers were blown (no surprise ... the were holding up 70+ lbs of glass and steel) I picked up some OEM replacements and started the repair. IN GIANT RED LETTERS, the instructions said "DO NOT PROP UP HATCH WITH ANYTHING WHILE REPLACING STRUTS". I was like ... yeahhhh ... I'll just make like Yoda while I do the job. I grabbed a 6 ft' 2x4 and got to work. I removed the first blown strut and installed the new one. I removed the second blown strut and realized I had reversed a bracket on the first one. I went to flip it around ... and woke up being eaten by my car. Get a friend to spot you.

On a side note, my '86 Accord hatch rolled to 265,000 on the original motor by the time i sold it ...

My friend had that exact same Accord with 5-speed. He kept the spare 2x4 prop in the hatch as well.

TheMAN said:

Yah it didnt damage the light or body (that I can tell). I would have destroyed the mount trying to break it off and who knows what other damage I would have incurred.

Added pics to 1st post.

Crazee D said:
Yah it didnt damage the light or body (that I can tell). I would have destroyed the mount trying to break it off and who knows what other damage I would have incurred.

Added pics to 1st post.

Stop taking the kids Flinstones vitamins to avoid further damage to your car... lol

I would check the other side... just to be safe.

part a.k.a. "liftgate stay damper"

Now if I could find a damn part number...

Thanks guys. Yeah, we've all been there, right?

Part#s
stay prop (Right) B25R-62-620C $35.95 (from MSMS and in stock)
ball stud S084-62-625A $4.05

Dumb question, I know BUT....
passenger side is considered the "RIGHT" side, correct?

Last edited:
my dad had an 87 accord hatchback and the hatch strut broke, he kept a cardboard roll from thermal fax paper in the trunk and it worked fine. got you beat though, 312 thousand on original engine and clutch.

Righty tighty, lefty loosey. Right hand drive, left hand drive. Yes, passenger is right.

Back