How To: Progress 22mm Rear Swaybar Installation

Maxx Mazda

Resident Asshole
Contributor
:
Completely Stock P5
First off, let's look at the tool you'll need. WOW! Pretty hefty list here!

- 14mm box end wrench
- 5mm Allen Key
- 14mm Socket and ratchet (if you want)

First off, this is a REALLY easy install. I did it in 20 minutes, start to finish including bending the brackets. If you've never taken you're endlinks off before, soak them in liquid wrench the night before REAL good. Also, you might want to get a spare set in case you have to cut them off. I've had mine on and off so much, so I used anti-sieze on the threads so mine were no problem. ANyways, on with it.

Get your ass up in the air (the car's not yours, unless you're a girl, in that case give me your number) and makse sure the car is secure. Pic 1

Now, remove the end link nuts. Stick the allen key in the middle, and loosen the 14mm nut. Take it right off and slide the endlink out. Pic 2

Now that you've got both endlinks off, it's time to remove the sway bar brackets. Just 2 14mm nuts, and 2 14mm bolts here. Very easy. Pic 3

Be careful it doesn't fall on your head, and remove the bar from the car. Now, lube up the Progress urethane bushings with the supplied silicone lube and slide them onto the new swaybar, and then snap on the brackets. Compare your new bar to the old s***. Pic 4 and Pic 5

Attachments

• DSC00658.JPG
    DSC00658.JPG
    429.8 KB · Views: 907
  • DSC00661.JPG
    DSC00661.JPG
    382.5 KB · Views: 1,451
  • DSC00660.JPG
    DSC00660.JPG
    243.7 KB · Views: 908
  • DSC00664.JPG
    DSC00664.JPG
    262 KB · Views: 829
  • DSC00665.JPG
    DSC00665.JPG
    416.7 KB · Views: 1,257
Now comes the fun part. You'll notice the supplied brackets need to be bent to match the stock ones. Don't s*** the bed, this is easier than you think. Put the new bar into the car, and secure it with the nuts on top. Tighten them down so there is no slack. Now, grab a floor jack. Simply jack the car from each bracket, gently and slowly and they will bend towards the back of the car, into position. This is actually a really cool way of doing it, as it kind of "pinches" the bushing around the bar real tight. When you get it lined up, you can slide the bolts in. Don't tighten them yet. Slide the endlinks into the sway bar, and thread the nuts on. (Which nuts? DEEEEEZ NUUTTZ!!!!!) Now that everything is in place, tighten it all down, and you're done. Pic 6 and Pic 7

Hope that was helpful!

Just FYI, my car NEVER gets that ddirty undernieth, but it's been raining here non-stop for the past 2 weeks. Next weekend I'll jack it up and take the brush to it under there.

Attachments

• DSC00666.JPG
    DSC00666.JPG
    397 KB · Views: 1,116
  • DSC00668.JPG
    DSC00668.JPG
    571.1 KB · Views: 1,312
interesting, very different from the AWR one

looks good bro, enjoy that stiff rear

Hey Nick..I would get the longer Mazdaspeed endlinks. You'll have a problem with your bar rotating forward because of shorter p5 endlinks...trust me.

How can it rotate forward? Its above the lateral arms, so if it tries to move down, they'll get in the way. ALso, mods please move this to how to section please...

thanks for the how to, I really want to do this soon. Dont know if I am understanding the jack trick, I will reread it.

I too thought that this bar was designed for the stock endlinks and shouldn't rotate.

So Maxx how are you liking the ride after it has now been some time? Any clunks or problems? Noticable handling improvements?

Last edited:
Handling improved DRASTICALLY and there's no way that bar will rotate o nthe stock endlinks. You'l lsee what I mean by the jacking trick once you get it on the car.

I got the same about 2 months ago an i couldn't be happier, the car has a lot less body roll and feels more stable at high speed turns. and yes, the bar will not rotate at all on the stock endlinks.

How did you find the "jacking" technique? Worked alike a charm for me, and is actually a great way to do it. It "pinches" the bushings onto the bar kinda...

I see what you mean about bending the brackets, they need to be bent about 45 degrees, correct? I am going to try to break loose the endlinks this weekend before I place my order. last time I was under the b**** her ass looked clean so I hope they come off, but I live near the beach (fu)>>>> SALTY air.

I am getting it thru protegegarage for 129 shipped. Anyone know of elsewhere cheaper?

FYI I contacted Progress and they have them in stock (their site says out of stock) for 128 but not sure if shipping is included, probably not. They assured me they have it but they said they need to update the website.

Is $129 the going rate for these or can they be had cheaper?

I definitely need to do this.

Last edited:
got mine today, looks beefy! I guess I wont be needing the jack trick as the brackets came at 45degrees.

Mine brackets were fine too, went right on like they should, bolted up all nice like. No issues whatsoever for 2 years.

Installed mine in about 20min. Never touched a jack and am slightly lowered...well if you are a plump guy you may need the jack, but I am a lil plump and still fit. This was really easy, and the design is exactly the same as stock only thicker and stronger, so I dont see why any need for adjustable end links, stock should be phine if they are strong enough, I have Tokicos so my tabs are nice and strong, stock may break.?. I took for a test drive and damn cornering is now really tight combined with eibach pro/Tokico/Rear STB. I thought it was tight with just the Rear STB, Tokico, eibach combo, now even more so. Now if I had the boost to pull it around.

Nope. Stockers work fine. I guess I was the only guy that needed to bend his brackets?

Back