Great News!!

steve_protege

Contributor
:
2000 DX
I start this new thread bearing good news, well great news for that matter!!! Hmmm Ummm, *clears throat* IM FINALLY GOING TURBO!!! I know how Witchdoctor and Tampasport20 (when he was here) always got on me to stop f*&$ing around and turbo my car. Well, that day is almost here guys!!! Im in the early stages of buying a kit. It will have everything except the turbine, manifold, injectors, EMS, TT, boost controller and IC piping. Im talking with Juan about getting the turbo and manifold. He might be able to get me a good price on engine management with injectors and such as well. The kit Im buying will come with all the gaskets, seals, rings, lines and all so I just have to find the other major pieces. The IC piping Im going to either find on Ebay or check out JCwhitney (like GoldPro recommended).

Can anyone recommend a good EMS for a 00 sedan?

How many turbo Sport20s (well, kinda) are on the forums??

steve_protege said:
I start this new thread bearing good news, well great news for that matter!!! Hmmm Ummm, *clears throat* IM FINALLY GOING TURBO!!! I know how Witchdoctor and Tampasport20 (when he was here) always got on me to stop f*&$ing around and turbo my car. Well, that day is almost here guys!!! Im in the early stages of buying a kit. It will have everything except the turbine, manifold, injectors, EMS, TT, boost controller and IC piping. Im talking with Juan about getting the turbo and manifold. He might be able to get me a good price on engine management with injectors and such as well. The kit Im buying will come with all the gaskets, seals, rings, lines and all so I just have to find the other major pieces. The IC piping Im going to either find on Ebay or check out JCwhitney (like GoldPro recommended).

Can anyone recommend a good EMS for a 00 sedan?

How many turbo Sport20s (well, kinda) are on the forums??

any updates??

Almost forgot about this post. I decided not to go with the turbo kit that I was originally going to buy. Instead, I had to hold off and tend some personal issues and bills before I go forward with the F/I. Im now going to do some minor engine work before getting a kit (either pre-made or custom one). If I go the pre-made rout, looking at the Hi-Boost unit. Custom route, looking at a quick spooler or a good amount of top end. If I go the top end route, maybe a T3/4 unit with some low-end work done beforehand. Quick spooling, either T25 or Switzer unit from Juan.

word of advice, the only engine work you would really need to do is maybe put lower compression pistons in the engine.. other than that the block is pretty tough..

shaneMazda2000P said:
word of advice, the only engine work you would really need to do is maybe put lower compression pistons in the engine.. other than that the block is pretty tough..

Thanks for the advice. What would the lower compression pistons do? What "level" are they currently set at now? What should they be set at when going turbo? I was talking to Mike (Tampasport20) over on protegeclub.com and he said it would be good to not get WRX 440 CC injectors, but smaller ones like from the Miata, which are 226 CC or something along those lines. He said the 440 CC ones are overkill for our engines? That true?

shaneMazda2000P said:
depends on the amount of boost.. what type of fuel management are u gonna be using.. ??

As far as boost, Ill only be boosting about 7-8 lbs. Because this car is my daily driver, I don't want to push it and blow anything. Fuel management, I was thinking of either sticking with my stock unit or some sort of Adjustable FPR. Who makes a good unit?

i am using a vortech 12:1 fpr, FM voltage clamp, and a walbro fuel pump.. you have to have all of these to run right.. i run 10-12 to 1 fuel ratios, witch is perfect..

shaneMazda2000P said:
i am using a vortech 12:1 fpr, FM voltage clamp, and a walbro fuel pump.. you have to have all of these to run right.. i run 10-12 to 1 fuel ratios, witch is perfect..

What is the voltage clamp for? Ive heard about the Walbro unit. A lot of good things mentioned about it. What other FPRs are out there besides the Vortech unit? You have any kind of engine management as well? The stock compression rate for the pistons is what? 9.1:1? What lower compression rate would best be benefitial?

I'm using e-mange blue with the 3 bar MAP sensor, no issues with fuel, ignition not retarded. I have the 310cc lime green supra injectors and a SARD fuel regularor. Max boost is at 8-9 psi
However, my turbo is pretty small (slightly smaller than a T25).

However, after tuning on dyno, I can see that there are slight dips at certain RPMs on the torque curve. My tuner has said that this is something that I would have to live with if I am using a piggyback.

So........ I am now looking into this:
http://www.hydraems.com/

I know that the miata guys have great sucess with this EMS. Stay tuned.

relaxed, what year car do you have? any pics of the setup??
Funny, i thought the 1.6l zmde was a rare bread to be turboed, but now the number just went to 4 with you..

So it sounds like its better to go with an unit like the Unichip, Vortech or AEM plug-n-play than a piggeyback, right? I don't think the Unichip is available to me so Im left with the Vortech unit (how is that working out for you Shane?) or the AEM piece. I don't know too much about that AEM part so Id have to read up on it some. But whatever unit I go with, It would be wise to couple it with a quality FPR, volt clamp and fuel pump, correct? Is anyone's tranny an auto?

mine.. its an auto, i love my voltage clamp/fpr combo with a fuel pump.. stead good fuel ratios, if you go stand alone, i would go haltech though, with haltech you can get help from highboost with tuning , the already have some maps made that you can just alter for your configuration.

OK, sounds good. Ive heard about the Haltech units. They have 2 different models for the Protege, right? Is one available for 1.6 though or does it matter what engine you have?

You said you have an auto, how is your tranny holding up? No slipping or anything, right? What levels did you say you were boosting at? Did you have any tranny/engine work done before going turbo?

How bout you relaxed? Yours an auto or manual?

steve_protege said:
OK, sounds good. Ive heard about the Haltech units. They have 2 different models for the Protege, right? Is one available for 1.6 though or does it matter what engine you have?

You said you have an auto, how is your tranny holding up? No slipping or anything, right? What levels did you say you were boosting at? Did you have any tranny/engine work done before going turbo?

How bout you relaxed? Yours an auto or manual?

6-7 psi spikes at 8 sometimes, no tranny slipage, tranny has about 10k on it maybe.. just had it replaced under extended warrenty..

go with the haltech that hiboost uses.. he has maps already for that unit for the 1.6l .. so u can start from a good map to tweak..

Thats what I was thinking of doing. Ill probably just keep the kit the way it is, but make a couple of small minor changes. Ill take your advice and go with the volt clamp, FPR and upgraded fuel pump. Ill probably swap out the injectors for some smaller ones and get a TT and a recirculating blowoff valve as opposed to the external b.o.v. I'll keep the EMS and everything else the same though.... Since you have no problems with your auto tranny, I'll probably get me an upgraded torque converter just in case. I drive my car kinda hard (not too much though) so Ill do that as preventative maintainance.

Nice choice going with the HiBoost kit, but if you talk to Juan anytime soon, or have talked to him soon, tell him to reply to my PMs and emails, I have an issue to sort out with him, and he's just ignoring me.

If you got an auto, I'd definately suggest a tranny cooler, wise investment. As for the Haltech, if you are going to be boosting up to around 10psi, the F10X would be fine. Anything above that, and I would step up to the E6X. The F10X only controls fuel, where the E6X gives you more options.

Falango said:
Nice choice going with the HiBoost kit, but if you talk to Juan anytime soon, or have talked to him soon, tell him to reply to my PMs and emails, I have an issue to sort out with him, and he's just ignoring me.

If you got an auto, I'd definately suggest a tranny cooler, wise investment. As for the Haltech, if you are going to be boosting up to around 10psi, the F10X would be fine. Anything above that, and I would step up to the E6X. The F10X only controls fuel, where the E6X gives you more options.

Thats what I was looking at too (tranny cooler). Im not sure where to begin with those though. Don't know who has a good unit and what the measurements should be and such..... I actually PMed Juan not too long ago about the 1.6 liter turbo kit price with the Schwitzer turbo in place of the manifold that comes with the kit. I got an answer back, but have to check on the day that I received his reply. I'll check for you and get back in touch with you.

About the boost levels, Im not going to exceed 6-7, 8 PSI max. I know Juan says the car can handle 20 PSI and such on stock internals, but I can't risk it. Not with this car being my daily driver. If this car went down for any amount of time, Id be screwed. I can't really do the things I want to do with the turbo till my fiance gets her new CX-7.

Back