Hitch and Bike Rack Installed

antlind

:
2006 Mazda5 - GT
Hey,
I installed my hitch and bike rack this weekend. I went with the Curtis hitch and Sportrack bike rack. I'm now able to hold all four bikes out back. The rear suspension seems to be able to take to added weight without too much sag.
Regards,
Anthony

Attachments

• 5GT_1 015.jpg
    5GT_1 015.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 1,297
  • 5GT_1 018.jpg
    5GT_1 018.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 1,433
Awesome!

Now I know what its going to be like - I ordered my hitch last week. Thanks for the pics!!

dsulli37 said:
Where did you order them from?

I'm getting mine from U-Haul and having them do the install - $179CDN for the hitch and the install. All others I called wanted between $210 and $255 to install the Curtis hitch.

I'll post pics when its done.

Here's the U-Haul hitch installed.

Attachments

• Hitch001.JPG
    Hitch001.JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 763
  • Hitch002.jpg
    Hitch002.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 652
  • Hitch003.JPG
    Hitch003.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 901
  • Hitch004.jpg
    Hitch004.jpg
    380.7 KB · Views: 855
Zoom5Zoom said:
congrats mike nice pics

BTW LOSE THE U HAUL STICKER:)

Funny you say that - It was the first thing on my mind - but in the fine print it says warranty void if removed. You can't see the UHaul sticker unless you get down on the ground so I'll likely just leave it.

Zoom5Zoom said:
Ok so don't remove it just spray it with black paint... you didnt remove it HA HA

And it just so happens I have a can of Gloss Black Tremclad in the garage!! I'll add that to one of my 1000 projects!! :)

99 bottles of beer on the wall 99 bottles of beer... knock one down pass it around etc good luck mike. BTW you wouldnt have that much to do if you had snow 60 % of the year (poke)

Zoom5Zoom said:
99 bottles of beer on the wall 99 bottles of beer... knock one down pass it around etc good luck mike. BTW you wouldnt have that much to do if you had snow 60 % of the year (poke)

Kinda like in that Quebec vid on the 5?

Too Funny!!!

I visited Victoria for an afternoon in 1992 and moved here as soon as I got the chance - and I've never looked back!! That was nearly 13 years ago!!(2thumbs)

Hitch Class

I got a class II hitch installed for my bike rack.
I think the class II is the best you can get for the '5'.
Anthony

Guys, just wondering, I can get a custom hitch for $179.00, but still concerned about the warranty on the tranny. I will haul a 4x8 trailer with cooler's and 4 bikes so not a heavy load., as well it will be a class II as my bike rack is a class II.

Got my bike rack today - ordered from eBay - but the guy sent me a 2" instead of the 1-1/4" (yupnope)

I'll post some pics when I get the replacement part.

I got a Swagman XXX that carries 3 bikes for $81CDN including all taxes and shipping. Seller was HitchYourRide on eBay if anyone is interested. Just make sure you're specific with your hitch receiver size.

Attachments

• c9_1_b.JPG
    c9_1_b.JPG
    12.4 KB · Views: 332
Pics as promised for those interested.

Any thoughts on the rear brake lights being obscured? They aren't blocked so should still be visible.

Attachments

• BikeRackEmptyRear.jpg
    BikeRackEmptyRear.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 484
  • BikeRackEmptySide.jpg
    BikeRackEmptySide.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 438
  • BikeRackLoadedRear.jpg
    BikeRackLoadedRear.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 492
  • BikeRackLoadedSide.jpg
    BikeRackLoadedSide.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 473
Last edited:
Mike

I found a detachable bar which goes between the bike seat and handlebars to secure the bikes flat on the rack... you can buy em at your local bike shop for about 30 bux each.

Makes for easy transporting of the bikes and not so freaky balencing acts...

Back