Mazdaspeed6 Intermittent Lack of Power Concern Fix Available

ns80 said:
I called the dealer today to see if they would be able to put the old version back on, but it doesn't sound good. The service manager is meeting with his Mazda rep later today so he's going to run it by him and see if it can be done, but I'm sure they will say no. I think anyone not happy with what this flash has done needs to contact Mazda directly and put some pressure on them to release one that resolves the power loss issue without completely changing the feel of the car in higher gears. I know I'll be calling them ASAP.

I am going to write a letter. I am still waiting to hear back from the Service manager at Mazda regarding the issue. I still like the car, but it is not the same car I drove off the dealer lot, and I am not happy about the change, especially since I never experienced the power loss problem in the first place.

the gamper said:
I am going to write a letter. I am still waiting to hear back from the Service manager at Mazda regarding the issue. I still like the car, but it is not the same car I drove off the dealer lot, and I am not happy about the change, especially since I never experienced the power loss problem in the first place.

That is my feeling exactly. The car still handles great and is peppy in 1st and 2nd gear, but it's not the same car I bought at all. Of course I can't test it now but I would venture to say 70-90 takes double the time it used to. Every person at the dealer was so concerned that I was happy with both them and Mazda during my purchase, so we'll see if they do anything to keep me happy at this point.

I did the same ns80 i called my dealer .. told them power at highways speeds is flat... I told her ie the service advisor I DONT LIKE IT...And i want my original tune back as i didnt have powerloss she is going to call me back... 1st and 2nd gear feels the same however ... In second coasting in 2nd @ 2000rpm and then punching it I've noticed boost doesnt arrive like it should in this car ...like the old stock from factory tune
PS MAZDA IF YOUR LISTENING
TUNE THIS CAR RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This car could be such a rocket with awesome accelleration and smoothness if you took the time to evaluate your re-call tunes b4 you release them...
Your faithful and humble SPEED LOVER(ughdance)

well i spoke to the service advisor as i had scheduled an appointment for today.. BAD NEWS FOR ME... they cant revert back to the old original tune .. Since this is a recall they state that it is a law and that it must be performed..
I really am disliking this map for the vehicle.. I think its time for me to call Mazda Canada and make a legitimate complaint...
(pissed)

Last edited:
I'm not crazy

I took my car into the dealership regarding the loss of power in higher gears. They tell me I am crazy, and the car runs fine. What can I do, I cannot prove it. I guess I will have to write that letter to Mazda NA letting them know they still have some work to do on the flash update.

Hey whats up I am new here and recently had the reflash done DO NOT DO IT the car was awesome before but since the flash it fell on its face I took it back up and they said they can't do nothing to help me so now I'm stuck

I have the same problem. I put my Speed6 in yesterday for it's first oil change and was told about the recall...which was then performed.

Man...major power loss at higher rpm. It ran like a dream before.

I spoke to my dealer service rep who told me that it would take 200 miles for the pcm to go through it's learning cycle. I then spoke to Mazda who said...and hear this...it would take 2-3 thousand miles for this to happen...wtf.

Anyone else heard this?

After a little more digging, also seems there might be a relation between the power loss and what octane fuel is being used. Seems if you use less than 93 octane your power will suffer. I live in Colorado where you will not find anything over 91 octane....kinda screwed huh...!

Last edited:
I have put +1,000 miles on since the upgrade. I feel the car is just not pulling the way it should be. High RPM's are not as powerful as the lows. Does anybody have a true test out there?? Just not the seat of the pants meter?? I have to agree - it is not the same car I bought 1,500 miles ago.

M

Matt'sSpeed6 said:
I have put +1,000 miles on since the upgrade. I feel the car is just not pulling the way it should be. High RPM's are not as powerful as the lows. Does anybody have a true test out there?? Just not the seat of the pants meter?? I have to agree - it is not the same car I bought 1,500 miles ago.

M

No question about this situation, the thing is the dealer should be able to see it...the boost must be way off what it was before this stupid update...I can understand making a change if someone does not have access to 93+ octane, but for those of us that do we are getting penalized by what appears to be a detune job...I'm not happy about it either.

So where do we go from here?? (enguard)

I've experienced the "lack of power" at 3k. Called a dealer near work and idiots telling me to contact them when i recieve the letter from Mazda so i said screw them. Took it back to where I purchased the car and they took care of it in 20 minutes with reprogramming the doors to lock. But I felt a serious issue with my car. I didnt like the top end in the Speed6 to begin with, really unhappy with the topend power. I use to cruise at 70-80mph hwy and just stepping on the gas in 6th gear I can pull away (its nice but i want more power) but now I cant even get the same effect even if I drop down a gear.

I'm wondering if I can have Mazda buy it back for the same amount. Since they offered to buy back the RX-8 due to false claim in hp. If I can achieve the same power before the "fix" I wouldnt mind keeping the car.

Enthusiast128 said:
I've experienced the "lack of power" at 3k. Called a dealer near work and idiots telling me to contact them when i recieve the letter from Mazda so i said screw them. Took it back to where I purchased the car and they took care of it in 20 minutes with reprogramming the doors to lock. But I felt a serious issue with my car. I didnt like the top end in the Speed6 to begin with, really unhappy with the topend power. I use to cruise at 70-80mph hwy and just stepping on the gas in 6th gear I can pull away (its nice but i want more power) but now I cant even get the same effect even if I drop down a gear.

I'm wondering if I can have Mazda buy it back for the same amount. Since they offered to buy back the RX-8 due to false claim in hp. If I can achieve the same power before the "fix" I wouldnt mind keeping the car.

I want the same car I originally paid for back!!!!!!!!!!!

MAZDA - do something please.

M

When I bought my MS6 back in September some of the screws to the fuel filler door were missing. They said they would actually have to put a new door on since Mazda can't get the screws. They called me today that they had a new one in, so I went down to have them put in. I assumed from reading this message board that my car would have already had the re-flash, since I bought it on 9/1/06. Well 5 minutes after I handed my key over to the service guy he tells me that my car is due for the re-flash. I played stupid and thinking quickly I told him I would have to schedule it for a later time, I had to get my kids from school. They were fine with that, so no re-flash for me "yet". While they were putting on the new fuel door I wandered over to the service manager and asked him what the flash was all about. I guess trying to speak in laymans terms he said the car currently taps into 255hp to 260hp, and re-flashing the computer would put it to the rated 274hp. Have any of you guys heard this explanation? I always put 93 octane in my car and it has never stopped pulling when I get on it., I love how it drives.

I just got back from the dealer for an oil change and while i was there, made a complain about the recall issue. The service manager had recieved a bunch of calls reguarding the problems with less power then it had before the recall. According to the dealer, Mazda is currently working out a solution to fix situation. So let's hope this information I got is correct and hope Mazda will release the new flash soon.

my new GT MS6

Hopefully there will be ANOTHER flash for those of us with 93 octane..
IS Mazda likely to post a better, third PCM setup/flash??
Thanks!!! My fingers are crossed as this car could be much better. Also is there any good clutch adjustment. My 1st to 2nd shift is not clean. I have to pause going into 2nd(pissed) . Production date = 02/2006.

Last edited:
Enthusiast128 said:
I just got back from the dealer for an oil change and while i was there, made a complain about the recall issue. The service manager had recieved a bunch of calls reguarding the problems with less power then it had before the recall. According to the dealer, Mazda is currently working out a solution to fix situation. So let's hope this information I got is correct and hope Mazda will release the new flash soon.

I wish my dealer knew these cars and there was a network of people locally to me to complain also. I do not believe the local dealer has sold 6 in the past year!! They still have at least 6-8 sitting on the lot.

M

Lee123 said:
I have the same problem. I put my Speed6 in yesterday for it's first oil change and was told about the recall...which was then performed.

Man...major power loss at higher rpm. It ran like a dream before.

I spoke to my dealer service rep who told me that it would take 200 miles for the pcm to go through it's learning cycle. I then spoke to Mazda who said...and hear this...it would take 2-3 thousand miles for this to happen...wtf.

Anyone else heard this?

After a little more digging, also seems there might be a relation between the power loss and what octane fuel is being used. Seems if you use less than 93 octane your power will suffer. I live in Colorado where you will not find anything over 91 octane....kinda screwed huh...!

At higher evlavations there is no need for higher octane fuels once over4,000 ft above sea level as opposed to sea level. So you will not be affected as much a the individual that lives at 3,000 ft and below. The less dense air requires much less ocatane (anti-detonant) than at seal level at a simular ambiant temperature because of a richer fuel mixture that has less nitrogen/oxigen to mix hense less power. The control of the ECU is based on a Knock count so that hog wash that about 2-3,000 mile seems like just that hog wash. Food for thought.

I did fill up with 93 octane...no difference at all...so yes you are totally correct on that note...but it was worth a shot...:)

My Mazda is going into the dealer today to get some warranty work done. Whilst it's in they will be looking into the loss of power problem. I complained to Mazda on numerous occasions so they have told my dealer to perform a bunch of tests to determine the problem. I will let you all know if anything comes of it...fingers crossed...!

p.s. - if you havn't complained to Mazda yet....1-800-222-5500, opt-5

Last edited:
aweful

Just thought I'd chime in and say that yes, the flash is aweful. I had hesitation before at low RPMs and thought this might do the trick to fix it but as mentioned by other folks my car is now a lagwagon - especially at higher RPMs... and I think the hesitation is actually worse. The whole experience is soft compared to before. I guess I should have taken a hint when they said it was an "emissions" recall. Most mods to improve emissions means a hit in performance. I'm willing to bet they changed the exhaust oxygen sensor lookup table (leaner fuel mix) since you want more O2 to make CO2 versus CO in the catalytic converter - which means less burned fuel.

As an aside, I've seen claims of 450hp with an fmic, can the trans take that much hp if it actually works??

"At higher evlavations there is no need for higher octane fuels once over4,000 ft above sea level as opposed to sea level." I disagree with that (living at 5280 feet), I put in 100 octane sometimes for kicks and I think I get at least an extra 20hp out of the deal - there are so many sensors in the engine, especially with DISI, now centered on combustion that I think the car just generally likes a tighter, low pre-det burn that high octane provides.

Here's an update for you all...

My local Mazda dealer performed some test's in conjuction with the Mazda Tech hotline...(thanks for your help Ed)
Here is a quote from their findings:

"Roadtest, observe data, found vehicle maintains boost of 24-25 psi over 4200 rpms. Contact hotline advised of torque curve has been modified, horsepower has not".

So in a nut shell, the recall performed by Mazda included a decreased torque curve but they kept the horsepower curve the same. Basically they have reduced the power in the higher rpm range.

Let's keep our fingers crossed that Mazda are working on an improved PCM reflash. The more of us that complain the better...

On a side note, has anyone looked into an after market PCM flash?

Back