What did you pay for your CX-5?

Yesterday, I traded my 2015 Touring for the 2016.5 GT. When I bought my Touring, I got $3,750 off MSRP so I was attempting the same negotiations with the GT and came up short. Anyways, my deal:

AWD, White, GT and tech
MSRP: $32,125
Sale: $29,625 (includes loyalty rebate)
Trade: $18,500

I wasn't able to negotiate the sale price much but got $1,560 in equity for my trade-in. My 2015 was pretty dinged up... So I felt like I had to pull the trigger given their offer to take my trade as a blind trade. All of the other dealerships in the Seattle area wouldn't budge below $30,600 or even match.

it was around 31k for MSRP and i did negotiation for OTD $31k and to reach there they added some discount to get base price to $28400 +fee+tax ~31k

Yesterday, I traded my 2015 Touring for the 2016.5 GT. When I bought my Touring, I got $3,750 off MSRP so I was attempting the same negotiations with the GT and came up short. Anyways, my deal:

AWD, White, GT and tech
MSRP: $32,125
Sale: $29,625 (includes loyalty rebate)
Trade: $18,500

I wasn't able to negotiate the sale price much but got $1,560 in equity for my trade-in. My 2015 was pretty dinged up... So I felt like I had to pull the trigger given their offer to take my trade as a blind trade. All of the other dealerships in the Seattle area wouldn't budge below $30,600 or even match.

Yeah.. not surprised ....no one will get some of the screaming deals here in the Northwest that some get in other areas of the country.

Bought CX-5 GT, FWD, No package today

MSRP : $29,470
Sale Price : $27,000

Out the door : $29940 (including tax, registration and documentation fee)

Does this looks a decent enough deal?
Couldn't negotiate much as it was hard to find the particular color we were interested in.

Purchased a 2016.5 CX-5 AWD Red with Tech package, Roof side rails and rear bumper guard.
MSR 32655 (dealer installed roof rails)
Sale price before tags and tax 30950 - 5.2% savings.
They also bumped my trade by $250 over the other dealer quote. This was John Kennedy Mazda Pottstown PA. The other major dealers were in the same ballpark. West Chester and North Penn.
Thanks everyone for your help. This thread was helpful.

Last week, I purchased a 2016.5 CX-5 Sport with the following options from Wayne Mazda in New Jersey:

1) Soul Red (~$300 extra MSRP)
2) Wheel Locks
3) Navigation

MSRP: $26,150
Price Prior to Fees and Taxes: $24,124
Sales Tax: $1,689
Motor Vehicle Tire Fee: $7.50
Online Processing Fee: $5.20
Registration/Title Fees: $401
Document Fees: $499
Out the Door Price: $26,725

Did not qualify for any rebates, but got 0.9% financing for 5 years.

I had test drove the vehicle a month before at Wayne Mazda and negotiated some decent prices with other dealers by phone and email. Initially, I offered Wayne Mazda $26,000 OTD and they countered with a ridiculous number in the $29 thousands. Ultimately, I gave them a print-out of the price paulnotpaul got from Ramsey Mazda recently and told them I will just go to Ramsey Mazda or Maxon Mazda and get that price. They tried to claim his price excluded an extended warranty and that was why it was so low. I told them I don't want the extended warranty and started to get up and they came back and accepted my price adjusted for the slightly different options I had compared to paulnotpaul's price. I really didn't want to spend anymore time negotiating and just went with this price even though I'm sure I could have got it for slightly less money.

Wayne Mazda also tried to give me a car with damage. I told them I want a car with less than 12 miles and they brought one out with 13 miles and claimed it was the lowest mileage Soul Red Sport they had. The car, like all their cars are filthy (they keep them on a dirt lot), and it was hard to even see scratches, but my wife noticed a really deep one. Suddenly, they found another Soul Red with just 3 miles on it, which is the one we bought. When I bought it, they did a full detail and the one I bought had no scratches.

Overall, the sales guy and finance guy were decent, but their business manager who had to approve the price was sleazy.

Basically the deal that I got (in PA suburbs) assuming you also got the AWD. But yeah, dealers are hit or miss.

We brought ours home today after making the deal on Thursday night. I will admit I was shocked when I saw the initial lease payment but still did a little haggling.

Initial 3yr lease offer was $269/mo with $1999 down. Accepted 3yr lease offer was $275/mo with $1000 down. Since it has the Parchment leather we opted for the interior/exterior protection plan which raised the final payment to $285/mo. It's our first time leasing but given that the current lease offer on MazdaUSA is $279/mo for a FWD Sport I think we did pretty good, thoughts?

2016.5 AWD GT w/Tech, Deep Crystal Blue, 3yr lease
MSRP: $31,980
Mazda Loyalty Lease Rebate: $-750
Mazda Step-Up Rebate: $-500
Trade: $-700
Cash: $-300
Acquisition Fee: $595
Gross Capitalized Cost: $30422.54
Adjusted Capitalized Cost: $28687.25
Residual Value: $19507.80

How was your experience with John Kennedy overall?did you have to do a lot of haggling before they offered this price?

Great experience. Go to their web site and ask for the internet price. See what the first price is. Doing the price negotiation in email was easier for me. I think what I got is about rock bottom for this area. Roughly 5 % off MSRP.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I am looking for a 2016.5 CX-5 FWD, White, Touring w/no options. There are a lot of dealers here in Northern VA, but a basic search @ mazdausa did not find any of these for sale nearby. Per an earlier post where someone bought this exact vehicle: MSRP: $26,315 ($200 extra for the white paint).

Any recommendations for dealers in MD, PA, Southern VA or WV that are good for reasonable discounts? Per Nelson's comments, about 8% off of MSRP would work for me.

I am looking for a 2016.5 CX-5 FWD, White, Touring w/no options. There are a lot of dealers here in Northern VA, but a basic search @ mazdausa did not find any of these for sale nearby. Per an earlier post where someone bought this exact vehicle: MSRP: $26,315 ($200 extra for the white paint).

Any recommendations for dealers in MD, PA, Southern VA or WV that are good for reasonable discounts? Per Nelson's comments, about 8% off of MSRP would work for me.
I didn't buy in your area, but I did reach out to several dealers and may make the trip when I buy again in a couple weeks...

I had decent luck with just a few emails and think I could've easily solidified the deal I want with the following in your area...

Fitzgerald Auto Mall, Frederick, MD
Priority Mazda, Vienna, VA

Let me know how it goes. I plan to reach back out to them shortly as well, so maybe we can help each other out, or feel free to share or PM if you find another dealer. Traveling to get a car that's a good deal is both no big deal and fun to me...good luck to us!

NelsonLewis,

I concur on traveling for a deal, i flew to Green Bay to buy a used 2003 TDI once. :) I am currently in touch w/Starrett in MD and Fredericksburg Mazda. Trying to track down a FWD option is apparently tough to do. I need to search the forums to see if the FWD CX-5s have a sufficent MPG advantage to not settle for a AWD and possible future mechanical troubles. Have the deals that you have received via email all included a dealer processing fee? Also, would you settle for a 2016, or are you focused on the 2016.5s?

NelsonLewis,

I concur on traveling for a deal, i flew to Green Bay to buy a used 2003 TDI once. :) I am currently in touch w/Starrett in MD and Fredericksburg Mazda. Trying to track down a FWD option is apparently tough to do. I need to search the forums to see if the FWD CX-5s have a sufficent MPG advantage to not settle for a AWD and possible future mechanical troubles. Have the deals that you have received via email all included a dealer processing fee? Also, would you settle for a 2016, or are you focused on the 2016.5s?

I would def settle for a 2016 if I could still find one. My initial search out of town this time, besides the local dealers wanting almost $3k more believe it or not, was that there aren't any AWD in my area, and that's what I want for sure.
As far as doc fees, I can't remember what they were for the two dealers mentioned, but others were anywhere from $299 to a whopping $599. I think $299 is crazy so no way am I paying $599. I love when they tell me, "even me working here, I have to pay that, so it's non-negotiable.." Lol well then, you better come off the car a little more then to make up for it. Still searching for the $99 ones some have posted, which is reasonable I guess.

Btw, Frederick and MD would require me to fly. I'm over 500 miles away, but a mini-vacay is needed anyways, and it'll be a great way to break the car in. ;)

So you need AWD--can't find it locally, and vice versa here on FWD. Geesh. Anyways, the F'burg dealer mentioned the $699 doc/processing fee that everyone pays, but they will have to knock about 1/2 of that out the negotiated price for me to be interested. Most of the dealers on the Mazda website show a $900 destination charge, i'm assuming that is the same thing as the document/processing fee.

I am definitely shooting for that 10% off MSRP that is apparently about the best that can be found---based on the last 30 pages of this thread.

Mazda CX5

Great experience. Go to their web site and ask for the internet price. See what the first price is. Doing the price negotiation in email was easier for me. I think what I got is about rock bottom for this area. Roughly 5 % off MSRP.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I got offered $29,319 for a 2016.5 AWD Grand Touring without any added features. What do you think?

NelsonLewis,

A question or two for those of us trying to determine how much off of MSRP price we are getting:

1. Does the MSRP include the destination fee? 2016.5 CX-5 TOURING AWD 2016.5 CX-5 TOURING $26,515 DESTINATION FEE $900 (is the destination fee non-negotiable?)
http://bit.ly/2bg0gJ4

2. When determining total discount, is the License/Title, Tire/Battery fees included?

3. Does the documentation/processing generally get added to the MSRP to determine Taxes paid? If so, that would be another reason to try to negotiate the fee down as much as possible.

WitchDoctor,

For that vehicle, based on the lowest MSRP I could find on Mazdausa.com of $29,870 + $900 = $30,770--$29,319 would be 4.7% off, not including license/title/tire/battery/taxes.

You would need to get closer to 7-8% off MSRP before that starts becoming a good deal, based on what others in this thread have posted.

NelsonLewis,

A question or two for those of us trying to determine how much off of MSRP price we are getting:

1. Does the MSRP include the destination fee? 2016.5 CX-5 TOURING AWD 2016.5 CX-5 TOURING $26,515 DESTINATION FEE $900 (is the destination fee non-negotiable?)
http://bit.ly/2bg0gJ4

2. When determining total discount, is the License/Title, Tire/Battery fees included?

3. Does the documentation/processing generally get added to the MSRP to determine Taxes paid? If so, that would be another reason to try to negotiate the fee down as much as possible.

1) Destination Charge included. Most I've talked to claim to "drop it", or if you tell
Them someone else beat their price, their initial comeback is usually "are you sure that includes destination charge?" Yes, I'm sure, I included it in the price I'm willing to pay from the start. MSRP of my liking is $31925, that includes the $900 dest charge. Take % off from there, so technically if they gave me 10% off, I got $90 off that bs charge to begin with. Lol

2) I add those fees on after discount. They vary some, but seems $100-150 is norm for
All.

3) I don't know. I know I'm not paying $599 I know that. Lol $299 I think is high too, and $99 sounds reasonable and acceptable I guess. I can get a little Better deal out the gate already being that I'm from a state with a max sales tax of $300, but I don't wanna give some savings right back because of an outrageous doc fee. I just add this in and shoot for an OTD number, which varies of course.

Good luck! A dealership should come
On here and lay it out like boom for 9-10% off, and they'd sale at least 5-10 right now...I already know where to get 8%. haha

Last edited:
Back