New Struts/Shocks Installed.

Alfissimoint.

:
08' CX-9 AWD
I just installed the NEW OEM struts and shocks today. I have to say it was a pretty simple job. Took me about 2 hrs. The hardest part was the rear. Mazda should have made access doors to the rear shocks. Removing everything from the rear including side panels was not hard but time consuming.

The new set up is fantastic of course. I am glad I went with the OEM over KYB GR-2. Anything firmer would be annoying. The ride is fantastic and the install was a piece of cake. None of the old parts needed to be replaced. So that was nice. The strut mounts and bearings were in perfect shape so I reused them. Not my normal procedure as I always replace everything if I can.

But she is back on the road and the handling is so much improved, I have a new love for this thing again.

BTW mine has 95K on it now. Any advice for anyone doing this, let me know? I have some shortcuts and tips if needed.

I think they have seen a lot of off road action due to mud residue under vehicle. Glad they were easy to install and inexpensive. My koni Struts for my Alfa, heck my OEM struts for my alfa Romeo are well over $850 for the set, they were only $300.00 for the set of OEM

I have been digging for that info for several days now, as the OEM shocks (rear) were blown on the new-to-me 07 CX-9 Grand Touring. I'm interested in the rear procedure; there doesn't appear to be anything urgent about the front struts, but those will have to be replaced in time.

So the whole side panels need to come off? Lots of 10mm bolts? Anything unexpected you can tell me that would save a headache, I'm all ears; thanks. I have a couple of Excel-G KYBs (I had heard those were the original equipment) ready to go ...

Pretty simple. Yes side panels need to be removed along with lower trunk insert. Remove all hooks, 10mm bolts. Remove cup holder by pulling up. Remove bolt under there. Remove screw under cover above cup holder. Then gently remove panel. Unhook rear 12V power supply as well. Remove rear trunk center trim by pulling it up.
Do the same for the other side as well. Then you have access to the rear shocks. Should be simple from there.
No need to remove Bose subwoofer. Just remove the metal cover so that the left side can slide out easier.

Thanks much for the info. Just finished. It went pretty easily. As is usual with these things, the first one takes an hour and a half as you accumulate knowledge and the second one takes 20 minutes. I wasn't able (or didn't need) to completely remove the side panels in order to get at the bolts; I just needed to flex them out of the way. I used the new rubber included with the KYB shocks. I didn't find a torque value for the bolts, so I used the values for my Miata (34 and 68 lb/ft for upper and lower, respectively). If anyone has the recommended values for the CX-9, please post as a reply.

For anyone else who might read this, the top shock nuts are just in front of the indented panels on either side of the liftgate opening.

What kind of ride are you gettting out of the KYB's? Did you happen to notice that the original shocks are stamped FoMoCo?

I went with original with are KYB. I did notice that most of the parts on the vehicle are stamped FoMoCO. But if you look at the other nomenclature you can see a code which starts with a "K" which most likely is a KYB manufacturing code.

Thanks for the info. Ordered struts and shocks. Also have blown shock at 80k on my CX9.

Completed rear KYB gr-2 install. Thanks for the tips provided. It took about 4 hours, but some of that time was cleaning/vacuuming under the third row seats, which I took out. We replaced the rears at 82k, ride is much improved since the stock shocks were worn out. I'll replace the front struts next weekend, then get an alignment.

Just to Update. did the front KYB GR-2 and had the alignment checked out and set. Did a drive from Ohio to South Carolina, and the ride thru the Appalachian Mtns was stellar. The suspension would settle immediately after hitting a mid corner bump at 70 MPH while traveling the West Virginia Turnpike. Overall, I am glad that I replaced all 4 shocks after 82k.

Hello, does anyone have the part numbers for both the front and rear shocks and struts, all replies are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the great tips on the rear shocks. I plan to replace them this weekend. Does anyone have tips on the front struts? I have never replaced struts or shocks before, but do consider myself somewhat handy (I have replaced disk and drum brakes a few times, replaced exhaust systems a few times, a few tune ups, etc) I tried looking for a youtube video, but could not find one on the cx-9.

Last edited:
I found torque settings in the service manual someone had posted in another thread.
Lower bolt is 68.6 to 90.7 ft-lb (I think they go past 1 decimal point because they are converting from N.m, which is 93 tp 123 N.m

For the upper bolts (there are two ontop of each other), the lower of the two is 111 to 150 in-lb (or 9.5 to 12.5 ft-lb per online conversin) and the one above it is 15.5 to 20.9 ft-lb

I will be replaceing my front struts early next week. This will be the first time I have changed struts on a car. Could someone give me a list of parts I should plan on replacing while I am changing out the struts? I already have a set of KYB struts sitting in my garage and would like to buy any other parts I will need ahead of time.

I am trying to remove the nuts from the rear shocks. The stem keeps rotating. I have even tried holding the stem still and still cannot loosen the nut. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I used a 7 mm to hold the stem from the top. Even with my son holding the ratchet to hold the stem i still need a leverage bar to get the top nut off. That bar was 6 feet in length. Once i loosened it up the bottom nut came out with normal effort. I just used the new nut that came with the shocks on top and to get that tight i had to use pliers as that stem was very thin maybe about 3mm. I installed the kyb gr-2 that i ordered from rock auto. They cost me 112 delivered. They feel the same as the original shocks. Also the color is black not silver. The originals were still good. One other thing i did this in 60 degree weather. It was pretty nice but i do not suggest that you flex the plastic to get to them just remove the panel. In order to remove the panel you must remove the seat like one person on this forum did. If you choose to flex the panel you might break it and it is very costly. I have a crack on my passenger side which was cause by a tv sliding and hitting that side.

Back