What have you done to your MSP today?

Pick up a junkyard trans and read the how to clutch thread. Pretty easy if you have a weekend, someplace to do the work and some mechaical sense.. turning wrenches doesn't require any special skills. Just read the drawings and visualize.

The trans removal is straight forward. Just stick a junkyard g15 in from a 2 liter protege/626 and fix your msp trans in due time.

This is not to say there won't ve swearing abs surprises along the way lol.

Ive learned from past experiences to never half fix a problem or cheap out, so if i repair its going to be correct with a new LSD and so on(because who wants an open diff lol)

Time to get a Honda or toyota. Lol. My next car will most likely be a Toyota/scion. The msp platform isn't for everyone. It's actually for a very small group of ppl and also depends on your lifestyle. Prior to me working at home the msp wasnt exactly the ideal fit for me, but i made it work and now I work from home so I don't necessarily need a daily driver or a reliable car. Up to you. Sometimes it's better to get a fresh start and start with a new platform. There are plenty of great, reliable platforms.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I've always loved honda's because of the potential and cheapness of parts. but always strayed away because fear of theft. But a B-series EM1 Si does sound nice

I'm going to weigh my options, I have some thinking to do.

Rebuilt my RF caliper today. Painted to the bracket and caliper while it was off too. Now I just need to paint the other 3 calipers to match it. Tired of having different colored parts form multiple cars and having mine look like it is still Frankenstein'd together. Out with orange, blue, and rust to silver all around.

haha man i hate my rusty calipers too. im about to tackle a wheel bearing this weekend. wish me luck

Took it out of storage, gave her a wash and pulled her into the garage for the first time in over 4 years to get to work. I blew it up in December 2010, and I'm just now getting around to building it. Cut off the welded on rusty IC brackets, cleaned up the left over slag, dropping the fuel tank later tonight and getting everything ready to mount in a fuel cell.

Nice! Been a while haha.

My clutch has developed a click when I depress it but it doesnt do it every time. Silly msp

[exhales deeply!!!]

Time to get a Honda or toyota. Lol. My next car will most likely be a Toyota/scion. The msp platform isn't for everyone. It's actually for a very small group of ppl and also depends on your lifestyle. Prior to me working at home the msp wasnt exactly the ideal fit for me, but i made it work and now I work from home so I don't necessarily need a daily driver or a reliable car. Up to you. Sometimes it's better to get a fresh start and start with a new platform. There are plenty of great, reliable platforms.

I may do the same. Every week it's something new. I'm on my fourth coolant leak and I haven't even had the car for a year yet. This car seems to be a rusty ticking time bomb. I'm thinking about an S2000 or a BRZ, but I don't want to trade my MSP in. It's a fun car, but not so great if it's your only car and you don't have the time to work on it. Maybe I'll keep it for winters.

DSC03953s.jpg
DSC03954s.jpg
DSC03955s.jpg

Unfortunately, msps are ticking time bombs unless you forge it. It sucks. But i would go with brz all day.

Last edited:
but how come every time something breaks, the cost is soo high to repair on these little cars lol.

for example:discontinued OEM radiator 400$(couldn't upgrade because of California smog inspection every other year ) and now this

I knew the car would start falling apart sometime soon (176k miles). It has treated me quite well so far until this point. But I'm just weighing my options on just buying another car. Maybe I'm just ranting lol

Really man? The repair cost is sooo high?? Is that a joke? These cars are not expensive whatsoever to maintain. The LSD is a known problem that 8/10 MSPs have experienced, I knew about the diffs failing years before I even bought the car! I assume you have had decent luck with the car in the past, now one thing fails (a plastic radiator leaking after a decade is normal for any car, and living in cali is nobody else's fault) and you want to ditch the whole car? It's almost a rite of passage for an MSP owner, if the diff or rods fail those who are 'worthy' will fix it, lol

Everybody hating on MSPs these days, y'all should sell them to people who will appreciate them if they are such terrible, expensive, unreliable 'ticking time bombs'. Been driving these 'time bombs' daily on stock engines and high boost for over 5 years and ~100k miles........

Last edited:
Unfortunately, msps are ticking time bombs unless you forge it. It sucks. But i would go with brz all day.

Unfortunately, I can't afford another car for at least a year, but by then a decent used brz should be around $15k.

Everybody hating on MSPs these days, y'all should sell them to people who will appreciate them if they are such terrible, expensive, unreliable 'ticking time bombs'. Been driving these 'time bombs' daily on stock engines and high boost for over 5 years and ~100k miles........

I don't have a problem with the owners, just the car. If you want to buy mine, let me know :)

I already have two! If it's a spicy we can talk

You haven't owned yours long enough to fall for it like the rest of us

got the day off to work on removing my passenger knuckle for wheel bearing and passenger axle boot torn so i'm putting a new axle in too. got everything apart in about 3 hours. the axle wasn't seized to the hub thank goodness. the axle, however, decided to end its life today lol. i barely pulled on the knuckle and the axle fell out.

also, my noobself didn't know the bolt that holds the ball joint had splines and i rounded the head D: anyone got a spare?

11998775_10101557376811517_1699287946_n.jpg

said axle

11997489_10101557472744267_1029620460_n.jpg

Seems to me the problem isn't so.much with the car but more with california lolz.
That you cabt replace a chronically failing oem pary with a documented, reliable aftermarket...
Ps still rolling msp stock rad.. no problems. Hell my whole msp is stock. Only thing that blew up was the trans. No big deal.

Ps. Msp hand over fist more practical than brz. Cars like that arently really suitable as your only means of transportation. Unless of course you work in an office and don't actually need to do anything. Surprising mazda didn't do the p5 in msp trim instead..
Guess they couldn't have known the popularity of hot hatchbacks.

Last edited:
I already have two! If it's a spicy we can talk

You haven't owned yours long enough to fall for it like the rest of us

I wouldn't really sell it!

Despite the near catastrophic failures I've had with this car, it's always gotten me from point A to point B. If it won't quit on me, I won't quit on it.

But..

Until I replace these over-a-decade old parts, I don't believe it's a great idea to use this as my dd.

There will never be a car like the MSP ever again due to safety and emissions regulations, fuel economy standards, etc. I enjoy the amenities of newer cars but I am content with my MSPs, they have a decent stereo, A/C, of course the turbo and BOV, and I can keep up with just about anything on these twisty hill country roads.

tmp_2798-IMAG00571441095986.jpg

She has a heart! I'm waiting on the battery charger and enjoying some tikka masala. I'll be starting her in a bit :)

View attachment 212031

She has a heart! I'm waiting on the battery charger and enjoying some tikka masala. I'll be starting her in a bit :)
Nice!

I can't believe a Ford Explorer just tried me. Lol. He had no chance. Even with loss of power from cracked exhaust mani with a missing bolt. Still smoked him... Ahhh... some days I really love my MSP.

Illa, did you rent, borrow, or buy the fender roller? I may have to roll my fenders to clear the sti BBS wheels I picked up. I have to refinish them before they'll go on the car, but clearance could be a problem.

Back