Front Pipe and Hardware

:
2016 CX5 - 2002 P5
I need to replace the front pipe on my 2002 P5 as it has a crack that is getting worse by the day. I need help figuring out what gaskets and mounting hardware I need to purchase. I will most likely also replace the 02 sensor and the regular mounting bolts and the spring bolts. If anyone can send me a parts list or link it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You!

2B53191.jpg

i hope that helps some
that doesnt include the spring bolts though and the downpipe.
i would piece together your own spring bolts with washers and springs at the hardware store, iirc mazda charges ~ $60

There are a few pipes that could be considered the "front pipe". Which one are you referring to? What's pictured above or the J Pipe where the second O2 sensor is?

Thanks for the responses. I was able to remove the old J-pipe yesterday. I am going to replace the 02 sensor as the old one is completely fused into the old pipe. Only issue I ran into was one of the bolts that holds the j-pipe onto the cat sheered off. I was able to salvage all of the other hardware...spring bolts and gasket.

I broke all three of the studs that hold the J Pipe to the cat. I got 2 of them out relatively easily and replaced them with bolts. I didn't get the third. Unfortunately the 2 bolts tend to loosen so use lock washers and keep an eye on them. Also, the gasket will eventually burn out where the third bolt should be.

There should never have been studs in this location. Exhaust hardware is practically sacrificial which is why there should be a simple inexpensive through bolt with a nut. But it's par for the course as Mazda evidently doesn't give 2 s**** about rust.

Last edited:
Yeah I've still got the sheered off stud that is sticking out of the cat to deal with- ill probably extract it and replace with a bolt and lock washer as you suggest. Also going to try and get the 02 sensor out of the old pipe. My car has 156K and has lived in Michigan and Illinois all its life so I was actually pretty shocked that every single bolt didn't sheer off, or nuts round over. I replaced the brakes and suspension over the summer, so I knew I was going to have to deal with the rust and was dreading the worst. I don't know if you have any experience with this but I read somewhere that bmw uses a different kind of steel for their hardware that doesn't rust as much. I am getting close to purchasing a new car so just curious if you know if this is true or not...thanks!

I'm not sure about that. Zinc nickle or stainless steel are the commonly used underbody fasteners.

I had to use a torch to get one of my studs out. I just heated it up and turned it out with a chisel and hammer.

i attached the pipe tonight and have a follow up question...The connection between the pipe and the exhaust is leaking a bit even though I have the springs tightened down all the way. Is there a gasket that needs to be installed in the joint...or do you think the springs are old or need to be supplemented? Thanks!

I did put that wedge shaped gasket? between the j pipe and the exhaust, it is still leaking. I even replaced the springs but there is still a gap that isn't sealing. Not sure if I need to add some washers to put more pressure on the springs...any suggestions? Thanks!

How much spring force do you have now. Did the springs compress some when you tightened the bolt? Any amount of spring force should hold this joint together. Did you have pull in order to get the joint together?

I would disassemble and inspect. Something is misaligned or pulling the exhaust apart.

I had to add a couple of washers to get the correct spring force, my other issue is still extracting the stud that is stuck in the cat. Even with two of the three bolts cranked down there is not enough pressure to close the seal around the cat.

I had to add a couple of washers to get the correct spring force, my other issue is still extracting the stud that is stuck in the cat. Even with two of the three bolts cranked down there is not enough pressure to close the seal around the cat.
Your motor mounts might be sagging, so the j-pipe doesn't align with the second cat's flange. The donut gasket doesn't seal even if you put a new one on and cover it with extra exhaust gasket goop, like I tried to do.
Others have replaced the spring-based connection, and put a flex-pipe on the second cat. This way, you just bolt them together without using exhaust springs. You'll have to take out the second cat and bring it to a muffler shop to cut out a section of pipe and weld in a flex-pipe and flange.

Ended up taking it into my local garage, they extracted the stud that was stuck and bolted everything back together for $15, everything is working now. Thanks to everyone who helped me!

Back