SP20 (Protege5) with steering wheel mounted volume controls.

JazzySP20

Madaz
:
AUSTRALIA
:
BJII Astina SP20
Australia never got the option of wheel mounted volume control. I would like to retro fit and chasing the wiring info. Is the clock spring any different to BJ without volume control switches?

The pic's below show the factory fitted controls. And also pic's I found of a Mazda 6 wheel which has been retro fitted into a BJ2 Protege5 with apparently fully functioning volume AND cruise switches!!

Is there anyone with a BJ that has factory volume controls on the steering wheel out there?

OEM BJ controls..
DSCF1000.jpg

Mazda 6 wheel in BJ..
IMG_0481.jpg

IMG_0478.jpg

Bit more info. The wheel mounted volume control was OEM on later (2002.5>) UK/Euro 323F Sport model. Possibly JDM as well.
The clock spring is the same as Protgs that don't have the volume control function. Extra loom going to radio on factory under dash loom.

Thanks, posted on Club323F.

Anyways.. I managed to sort it out! (thumb) Was much easier than I thought. I now only need the OEM switch in the first pic to have factory volume control. Finding the OEM switch might be an issue though.

Last edited:
Sorted!! I now have factory volume control in my Astina SP20 (Protege5) as per the first pic above, except with factory black/silver Nardi Torino wheel. (alright)

Easy done. Found THIS old (2006!) thread by TheMAN on fitting cruise to the Nardi Torino wheel. The .pdf document attached in that thread had the wiring diagram (last page applies to AUS SP20's). Basically just run the two required wires from clockspring output to back of stereo according to the diagram (easiest bit of all). Then finding the OEM switch and modifying the Nardi wheel (hardest bits) and you're good to go.

Not sure if this will work for all BJ 323's though. Worked on my AUS BJII SP20 hatch which apparently has a different radio loom even to the AUS sedan version of SP20's.

Back