Mazda Being Sold off to Toyota?

Dom Torreto approved both the Rx7 and the Supra.

latest

The current CEO of Toyota is a gearhead. Since he started, he's been trying to inject some legitimate sportiness back into Toyota. The Sienna SE (which actually got decent reviews on it's handling and feel) was one of the first projects he got involved in.

Under his watch, development of the current gen highlander got a push for more sportiness, so it drives much better compared to the previous gen.

The Scion FRS/Subaru BRZ was probably a big push from him to bring back the sportiness to Toyota.

The partnerships with Mazda and BMW, to me, are all about trying to bring some zoom zoom into Toyota, while Mazda and BMW can learn from Toyota themselves.

This is an old article from last year that many have probably seen but gives some info about current partnership.

http://www.autonews.com/article/201...rtnership-to-share-technologies-confront-cost

"Toyota engineers say privately that their company has been quietly benchmarking the comparatively tiny Japanese rival, fascinated by its uncanny ability to churn out high-quality vehicles on a shoestring budget -- and to do so profitably from high-cost Japan."

http://www.autonews.com/article/20160618/OEM/306209971/toyotas-new-spirit-of-cooperation

"Cooperating with Mazda has given Toyota insights into how to manufacture in Mexico, as Toyota prepares to open its first large-scale plant there. Mazda manufactures a version of its Mazda2 sedan in Mexico for Toyota to sell in the U.S."

http://www.automotivemanufacturingsolutions.com/from-the-editor/japans-oems-continue-consolidate

"Toyota will complete its takeover of Daihatsu later this year and already effectively controls Subaru. Since 2015, it has also had a wide-ranging technical alliance with Mazda, although without any capital involvement on either side.

Full control of Subaru and Mazda by the largest Japanese car company may well transpire before too long. Ahead of such a development, Nissan has taken a 34% stake in troubled Mitsubishi by way of a fresh capital injection. This move, moreover, gives Nissan control over key decisions regarding Mitsubishis strategy and direction. Honda remains independent, as does Suzuki, but the smaller Japanese brands are gradually morphing into larger groups."

OMG Toyota is such a terminal cancer.

Toyota took over the FRS. It is now a Toyota badged vehicle. Not scion. It got a killer makeover in the looks and performance dept, too.

Imho Toyota buying Mazda would have a lot of good things for Mazda so long as they churn out cars that handle like Mazdas. Toyota could have its regular Toyota division, Lexus Luxury division, and to replace the Scion would be Mazda. Mazda gains:

R&D funds for you know, cars like Mazdaspeed 3 or an RX line.

Likely more engine options.

Access to Toyota's parts vendors. Think better windshields and sound deadening. Or how about Toyota's AC units?

A larger dealer network which also means more shops.

Toyota gains a company proven to be successful by it small self. Profit potential is there for Toyota so long as it throws some money into Mazda. Mazda perfectly fills the gap between regular Toyotas and Lexus. Sportier than a Toyota but just a bit more in cost. Entry-Luxury features but cheaper than a Lexus. Honda and Nissan can't touch that lineup.

Motor Trend in their August issue claim that talks are underway for Mazda to sell their company to car giant Toyota.

If this becomes true, then I would probably never buy another Mazda again. Toyota makes boring cars and I believe Mazda would lose its "car soul" if it was sold and taken over by Toyota.

The AE86 wasn't boring. The 2nd gen MR2 was dubbed the "poor man's Ferrari" by all the mags when it was introduced. The 2JZ speaks for itself. How about some of those old CANAM cars? Group B? LeMans racers?
Nascar, Rally, road racing, Drifting, F1... Toyota has been involved with all of them, and has done well at most.

Now imagine an MS3 that goes 500k miles with no issues.

I can't imagine driving 500k miles in a squishy, vague feeling toyota ms3. Praying for the zoom-zoom-boom that just won't come.

The AE86 wasn't boring. The 2nd gen MR2 was dubbed the "poor man's Ferrari" by all the mags when it was introduced. The 2JZ speaks for itself. How about some of those old CANAM cars? Group B? LeMans racers?
Nascar, Rally, road racing, Drifting, F1... Toyota has been involved with all of them, and has done well at most.

Now imagine an MS3 that goes 500k miles with no issues.

I agree with you in principle, but I can't point to anything Toyota has done in the last 10 years that matches that legacy. They did collaborate with Subaru on the FR-S/BR-Z, but Consumer Reports data says that car is way below average reliability, so much so that it's singlehandedly dropping Toyota and Subaru in the manufacturer reliability rankings. Aside from that, Toyota seems to have churned out boring cars with conservative changes between generations and powertrains described as "as inspiring as a blender."

To give them their due, they've been working to produce less boring cars and it's shown. I was particularly surprised by reviews of the new Prius - it must take a lot of work to make that thing handle reasonably. It's also entirely possible that our view based on Toyota's US lineup is very different from, say, the European lineup.

Back on the possibility of Toyota outright buying Mazda, I agree that if it were just a matter of R&D money, I would definitely be in favor. The problem, though, is that Mazda's current R&D budget is exactly what their sales figures will support, and it's hard to point to a hole in the lineup where a cash infusion would let them build a new car that would significantly change their financial outlook. As such, I think any Toyota buyout would involve tighter integration than that. That idea makes me leery.

Back