Will Mazda ever include panorama sunroof?

Why a panoramic sunroof in the first place? Can you see out it from the front seat? Thought it was dumb the first time I saw one, still do.

It gives the vehicle a very open feel even if all you do is stare out the windshield. At night, parked, I loved looking up at the stars through my see through roofed vehicles in the past.

The pano roof's look very cool but I agree that the sun glare would be the biggest downfall. If there is a shade, how are you supposed to reach it with no passenger in the back seat? I would like them to offer it on the higher end models, agree it should have been offered on the Signature CX-9's. Don't know whether or not I would buy it though.

I ordered my vehicle without sunroof, instead of buying with from the dealer's lot. I have no use for a sunroof.
The driver cannot really look outside through the sunroof, my other family members prefer the shade, it costs more adds weight, elevates the center of gravity and lowers the ceiling.

However, I do think Mazda should offer a panoramic sunroof as an option because some people like it and Mazda should take their money and make them happy. Many car manufacturers do build senseless models, such as convertible sports cars, which are significantly heavier to ruin the sportiness of the regular model, only to satisfy the demand for said cars.

It seems Mazda truly believe added weight of panorama sunroof would hurt fuel efficiency and performance on new CX-9. I imagine they designed it with significant smaller cabin than previous gen is also for weight reduction? I think the bottom line is money saving is the key!

Extra weight definitely affects MPG and pano sunroofs put extra weight where you don't want it.
It doesnt take an engineer to work out that a 220 lb. glass roof running across the very top of the vehicle isnt exactly a great idea.
They weigh so much because glass is a lot heavier than steel or aluminum roof panels.
Then factor in the weight of the reinforcing bars, electric motors and drainage channels needed.

They also add noise and can be a nightmare when they go on the fritz because Panoramic sunroofs introduce added complexity to a vehicle.
You have two or more heavy glass panels; channels and rollers for the sunshade; and the motor and sliding mechanism for the sunroof panel itself.
All of these could break or malfunction, and because this complex hardware is directly above your head, you are susceptible to a plethora of squeaks, rattles, and flexing noises.

The conventional steel/aluminum roof is much quieter and theres nothing up there that could could squeak, break, or malfunction down the road.
You also have:
1. greatly reduced structural integrity
2. reduced headroom
3. hotter interiors

The large hole over the cabin disrupts the aerodynamics which cuts MPG.
And above 50 mph sunroofs are often too loud to have open unless you enjoy yelling at your passengers.

Extra weight definitely affects MPG and pano sunroofs put extra weight where you don't want it.
It doesn’t take an engineer to work out that a 220 lb. glass roof running across the very top of the vehicle isn’t exactly a great idea.
They weigh so much because glass is a lot heavier than steel or aluminum roof panels.
Then factor in the weight of the reinforcing bars, electric motors and drainage channels needed.

They also add noise and can be a nightmare when they go on the fritz because Panoramic sunroofs introduce added complexity to a vehicle.
You have two or more heavy glass panels; channels and rollers for the sunshade; and the motor and sliding mechanism for the sunroof panel itself.
All of these could break or malfunction, and because this complex hardware is directly above your head, you are susceptible to a plethora of squeaks, rattles, and flexing noises.

The conventional steel/aluminum roof is much quieter and there’s nothing up there that could could squeak, break, or malfunction down the road.
You also have:
2. reduced headroom
3. hotter interiors

And above 50 mph sunroofs are often too loud to have open unless you enjoy yelling at your passengers.

...and for $45K, the Jeep Grand Cherokee has one, and people love it, and it sells great, and is almost a default option. The SRT8 Jeep has it, too, and handles great.

^and it would handle better without it.

I've got one on my Jetta Sportwagen TDI and it definitely wasn't worth the extra money. I complained several times to the dealerships about the squeaking/grinding noises when it's opened/closed and its never gotten any better. Lots of VW owners have had them spontaneously shatter.

It doesnt take an engineer to work out that a 220 lb. glass roof running across the very top of the vehicle isnt exactly a great idea.

The conventional steel/aluminum roof is much quieter and theres nothing up there that could could squeak, break, or malfunction down the road.
You also have:
2. reduced headroom
3. hotter interiors

Jeep has been having problems for years with their panos. Just like practically every other auto maker.

https://www.google.com/search?q=jee....69i57j0l3.21798j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Jeep has been having problems for years with their panos. Just like practically every other auto maker.

https://www.google.com/search?q=jee....69i57j0l3.21798j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I guess. Let's just put it this way: Try to find one WITHOUT a pano for sale...good luck to ya, unless it's a stripped out base model. That kindof says something about what people want.

Anyway, back to the CX9 what exactly does it offer over Jeep? Sure, if you keep it longer than 5 years the Jeep is a no-go, but many people do not.

http://www.jeep.com/en/grand-cherokee/#model=laredo&color=true-blue-pearl&category=standard
https://www.mazdausa.com/shopping-t...G|16CX9SigXA&ex=46G&in=L_TC5&p=&ip=&o=1CN&io=

I think Mazda needs a better/more powerful motor, and some real luxury options. That includes pano. Hell, even the 911 Porsche comes with a pano roof.

Or Mazda could lop $5-7500 off the price tag and then the CX9 would make sense.

The CX-5 makes sense. It compares sensibly to its rivals in a give/take way. The CX9 is priced like something it's not. A 250hp 3rd row without pano that's not a Toyota Sienna minivan? HAH!

No pano
No live-traffic NAV
No standard 115V outlets
Only 250bhp with 21/27mpg rating (The Jeep gets 290+hp out of its V6 at 26mpg hwy, without the extra issue of turbos, for example, and that's their BASE option)
No adaptive suspension/lift
No radar/Laser cruise control

basically, my 2010 Grand Jeep Cherokee had almost all of what the CX9 does, and then some. That's pretty sad, IMO

The CX9 is a great vehicle, but it's a bargain vehicle, and it's priced like a middle-class vehicle like an Explorer or Grand Jeep Cherokee or something, and it's not in that league.

Last edited:
^and it would handle better without it.

I've got one on my Jetta Sportwagen TDI and it definitely wasn't worth the extra money. I complained several times to the dealerships about the squeaking/grinding noises when it's opened/closed and its never gotten any better. Lots of VW owners have had them spontaneously shatter.

Agreed! We have a Golf TDI hatchback with a regullar sunroof and absolutely no negative issues. We'd consider replacing it with a Sportwagen 4 Motion when the time comes BUT the sportwagen doesn't appear to be available in higher trim levels WITHOUT a panoramic sunroof, a major negative in my mind. If you look at the VW forums, an alarming number of the threads have a subject related to panoramic sunroof issues. Another trend we dont like: several manufactures, VW included, are changing out the sunroof sunshades to a 'shadecloth' material which lets some sun into the interior. Not progress in my mind.
On thing we've done on our last 3 vehicles with sunroofs is to add dark window tint material to the roof. It does make quite a difference in hot weather.

Last edited:
Unobtanium says: Let's just put it this way: Try to find one WITHOUT a pano for sale...good luck to ya, unless it's a stripped out base model. That kindof says something about what people want.

The reason it's hard to find a GC w/o a pano is because so many people are dumping them due to the issues.
Jeep also needs to engineer a safe shifter. I guess that class action suit will motivate them.
And just about the entire lineup has gotten poor reviews from Consumer Reports and others.

Unobtanium says: Let's just put it this way: Try to find one WITHOUT a pano for sale...good luck to ya, unless it's a stripped out base model. That kindof says something about what people want.

The reason it's hard to find a GC w/o a pano is because so many people are dumping them due to the issues.
Jeep also needs to engineer a safe shifter. I guess that class action suit will motivate them.
And just about the entire lineup has gotten poor reviews from Consumer Reports and others.

Okay...

Find me ANY $45K SUV that doesn't offer a pano in the line-up. And don't say "Mazda", lol!

Toyota 4-runner, Land Cruiser, Sequoia, Lexus LX570
what do I win?

So...Toyota? I mean yeah, you DID list 4 models (Although I would argue that the LC, and LX570 are just technically different trim levels of the same vehicle...I am not sure, maybe the Seqoia is based on the same chassis as well, although the suspension is different), true that, but they are all from the same company, which kindof underscores my point. It's not what the bulk of the market is about.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/vehicles-offering-panoramic-sunroofs-for-less-than-50000/
http://www.autobytel.com/sport-util...fordable-suvs-with-panoramic-sunroofs-130635/
The list of models that DO offer it...comprise more than 1 company...

Last edited:
Agreed! We have a Golf TDI hatchback with a regullar sunroof and absolutely no negative issues. We'd consider replacing it with a Sportwagen 4 Motion when the time comes BUT the sportwagen doesn't appear to be available in higher trim levels WITHOUT a panoramic sunroof, a major negative in my mind. If you look at the VW forums, an alarming number of the threads have a subject related to panoramic sunroof issues.
This is more of the brand quality issue than the panorama sunroof issue itself. The panorama sunroof on my brother's 2012 BMW 520d sportwagen has no issues at all! And BMW who always claims its cars are "Ultimate Driving Machine", doesn't think the panorama sunroof would affect performance and efficiency.

BTW, we had a 2001.5 VW Passat with a regular sunroof and absolutely having water leak issues and flooded cabin and trunk many times!

Toyota 4-runner, Land Cruiser, Sequoia, Lexus LX570
what do I win?
Unobtanium should buy you a nice dinner when you're visiting Arkansas, or when he's visiting Southern California!

That's funny right there, I don't care who who are!

So the CX-9, a Mazda family boat should?

No way, it might upset the legendary handling dynamics! Leave it to slobs like the 991 model Porsche 911 to incorporate such performance killers. Mazda is a performance machine!

You also have:
2. reduced headroom
3. hotter interiors

Accura MDX and Honda Pilot both wisely do not have the problematic pano systems.

Jeep has way bigger problems than the pano:
I guess. Let's just put it this way: Try to find one WITHOUT a pano for sale...good luck to ya, unless it's a stripped out base model. That kindof says something about what people want.

Anyway, back to the CX9 what exactly does it offer over Jeep? Sure, if you keep it longer than 5 years the Jeep is a no-go, but many people do not.

I think Mazda needs a better/more powerful motor, and some real luxury options. That includes pano. Hell, even the 911 Porsche comes with a pano roof.

Or Mazda could lop $5-7500 off the price tag and then the CX9 would make sense.

The CX-5 makes sense. It compares sensibly to its rivals in a give/take way. The CX9 is priced like something it's not. A 250hp 3rd row without pano that's not a Toyota Sienna minivan? HAH!

Basically, my 2010 Grand Jeep Cherokee had almost all of what the CX9 does, and then some. That's pretty sad, IMO

The CX9 is a great vehicle, but it's a bargain vehicle, and it's priced like a middle-class vehicle like an Explorer or Grand Jeep Cherokee or something, and it's not in that league.

The Jeep GC scored 60 overall in the Consumer Reports testing.
The entire Jeep lineup has problems: The Patriot got a 40, the Compass scored 43 and the Wrangler a dismal 26.

The CX 5 earned 75 while segment leaders like the Highlander (83), Sorrento (84) Pilot (76) and the new CX 9 (74) all put the Jeep GC to shame except in off roading. A big part of Jeep's problems were inherited from Italy.
Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) has expedited its electronic shifter recall months in advance of the original schedule. This accelerated effort began prior to the tragic death of Star Trek actor Anton Yelchin.

Owners of 2014-15 Jeep Grand Cherokees and 2012-14 Chrysler 300s and Dodge Chargers were notified by FCA of a voluntary recall because of confusing shifters that could be mistakenly left in Neutral, making dangerous roll-aways a possibility.
Yelchin was killed in June after he got out of his running 2015 Grand Cherokee on his sloped drive in Los Angeles.
The car, according to the Los Angeles Police Department, then rolled into him, pinning Yelchin against a gate and mailbox.

Jake Fisher, the director of Auto Testing for Consumer Reports, said, "It is imperative that auto manufacturers take quick action in a situation like this. Any time there is an issue that puts drivers at risk, it is essential that manufacturers communicate quickly and clearly to owners and that defects are repaired promptly."

http://www.consumerreports.org/car-safety/fiat-chrysler-on-the-road-to-fixing-failed-shifters/

Back