My 2002.5 P5 AwesomeSauce build thread

Awesome, are you going to paint the block? I am in the process of getting another block to build. Rather than just boosting my stock motor. Might as well do it right and shoot for some better numbers.

Yes, planning on painting it black or silver, not sure yet what color I want to go with. I guess it depends on my final color choice.

Getting another block to build is the way to go since you will still have a vehicle to drive and you can take your time with it

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Just got my ARP main studs, freeze plugs, and a complete ACL bearing kit. Ordered a throttle body, water outlet housing, and oil cooler setup. Going to be sending the block and head off to a machine shop to get worked on. Planing on boring the block out .020. Might rebuild the cylinder head with OEM intake and exhaust valves and valve guides just to be on the safe side. Maybe valve keepers?

Last edited:
how much do you think you have in bottom end parts price wise?

i'm considering a stock build if i was gonna sell my msp.. if i keep it, id rather put strong parts in.

how much do you think you have in bottom end parts price wise?

i'm considering a stock build if i was gonna sell my msp.. if i keep it, id rather put strong parts in.
It's about 1k for forged internals and bearings and arp Mains. More or less.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

It's about 1k for forged internals and bearings and arp Mains. More or less.

i figured as much. plus building the engine...

i can get a stock rebuild parts for like 400... probably worth it to go upgraded IF i keep the car. heaven knows I won't get my money back if i sell it right after building.

It cost me 800 in labor on the bottom end. That included overbore alignment honing for the crank new freeze plugs washing the block balancing the entire rotating assembly balancer prank Pistons and flywheel all that stuff and getting all the clearances I did the assembly myself

It cost me 800 in labor on the bottom end. That included overbore alignment honing for the crank new freeze plugs washing the block balancing the entire rotating assembly balancer prank Pistons and flywheel all that stuff and getting all the clearances I did the assembly myself

that seems like a boatload of money to me.

My machine shop said 850 to take apart and rebuild bottom end, with me supplying parts.

I believe i'm already past the 1k mark lol. Still need to buy pistons and then i'll be all set. Then the cost of machining and all the other stuff I still plan on getting.

Mind you I wanted the built to last a good long time does getting your Machining and getting all your tolerance is correct is very important. I found machine shops that would do it cheaper job but I didn't trust them when talking to them.

Some small updates. Progress has slowed down a lot. Need to save up and my job has been cutting hours lately so that sucks.... Cleaned up the MBSP, throttle body, water outlet housing, oil dipstick tube, oil cooler, and the two water bypass lines.

27341316304_4d40e7ddfe_b.jpg

I painted the two bypass lines, oil dipstick tube, and the coolant feed hard line black using engine enamel.

27953543665_f26ab0b132_b.jpg

Idk why I took the picture this way.... my ghetto setup for painting the bypass lines lol

27340433263_be2e1bdc25_b.jpg

As far as my color scheme goes, I plan on re-spraying the engine bay "space gray". I need to see what the color looks like in person so I can finalize my choice. Thinking of painting the block, MBSP, and cylinder head silver or black. Should the trans/block/cylinder head stay silver and everything else blacked out? Or would the whole engine + trans blacked out look better. Maybe there should be a little contrast so the silver would look nice. Decisions decisions

Last edited:
I'll probably just smooth things out the best I can. Fill in some dimples and seams. Might also shave some studs on the firewall that aren't going to be used but that's about it.

The blacked out engine has started taking shape. Cleaned and painted more things! Valve cover is looking nice again and doesn't oil up my fingers when I grab it lol. I plan on getting the VC powder coated and having AN fittings in place of the PCV valve and breather port for a dual catch can setup.

27689529980_da763b2910_b.jpg

27356261704_9870f50768_b.jpg

Got the water outlet housing all cleaned up and masked off ready for paint.

27892776151_8cdf7ca76f_b.jpg

27970094015_80cbba39c9_b.jpg

Same goes for the throttle body. Masking this off was a real pain but I have a lot of paitence lol.

27869020862_1f8002e624_b.jpg

27893330061_0f6e4f94d7_b.jpg

3 layers of primer and wrinkle black have been applied to both items. Just need to wait for them to dry to see the finished product.

27870106522_8bf7288535_b.jpg

Yep, the instructions on the can says that it will not look wrinkled when first applied but when it dries. Just checked them right now and it's wrinkling a lot! Maybe too much lol. The can said to apply thick layers and I did, maybe I overdid it. Here's some pics of them

ad0d780657e3b60d9fa0120864f523fd.jpg

1dcb81a2fd4b541cae7df7c3c30a9790.jpg

990f68a2052e3374c7de2b06801d1bc3.jpg

014e29661315187d84d6a665744c5bf5.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, only wrinkle paint that advance had in store. It looks a lot better now that the paint is drying. The wrinkles are more compressed and refined. Looks amazing. Just need to do the rest of the engine and it'll look amazing I hope lol.

Took some night pictures and tried some light painting. Came out decent for my first attempt but I need to find a better spot to take pictures.

27713413290_2f5818712c_b.jpg

27379536633_a65785e420_b.jpg

27379531903_cd7d92b818_b.jpg

27958785146_c2bcb5d4ae_b.jpg

Back