Sudden acceleration?

BigBuckNasty1

:
Mazda CX-5 GT 2015
Wife's car, 2012 mazda5 gt. Sunroof. Not that it matters but that's pretty much all the options I believe.

Primarily when parking, coasting mainly. The car with suddenly accelerate. It hasn't rammed her into anything yet but it's been close. She's been more diligent about keeping her foot ready for action above the brakeS ( yes it's not the situation where the old man says jeez i hit the brakes but the car went faster) but I am hoping someone knows something helpful before it ends up in a real problem. I've had two guys look at it including the dealer and they said that she's Probably hitting the gas and to tell her not to hit the gas. Wanting to stay married I'm seeking other feedback.

It doesn't happen all the time maybe once a week, and it doesn't happen when driving at freeway speeds- both at high speed and when going in bumper to bumper which preplexes me as she probably sees 15 minutes of that each way to work minimum and like 1 minute of parking. Any thoughts are appreciated. Except for "tell her not to bump the gas"

Possible hesitation from the engine at rare times?
You step on the pedal, nothing, nothing, nothing, VROOM!?

a/c kicking in, bringing the rpms up? I know when I'm stopped at a light it feels like its wants togo forward when the pump engages.

Possible hesitation from the engine at rare times?
You step on the pedal, nothing, nothing, nothing, VROOM!?
Not so much. Seems pretty responsive actually.

a/c kicking in, bringing the rpms up? I know when I'm stopped at a light it feels like its wants togo forward when the pump engages.

Hm, interesting idea. Would explain the "random" nature and that it seems to happen at low speed in a parking lot. Well try running w/o the ac for awhile

Same here yo I feel you on that. You gotta really step hold the brakes on full stops and red lights.
Throttle Response!!!
zoOM zoOM.......

Not sure if it is a product of the pedal placement, shoes, or a lazy technique, but I did have the same thing occur several times in my Mazda5 where I was not stopping as expected. It would only happen once in a great while, and only while you are pulling up to a stop sign, light, or into a parking space where you were trying to creep forward while holding the brake pedal.

It turns out that when this happened, I was only catching the side of the brake pedal, and was also touching the accelerator pedal at the same time.

Put a camera recording the feet placement and movement and that will be your best evidence gathering.
Since it is happening often enough, should be an easy find if it is caused by bad feet placement.
I'm sure you can have like pedal sensor issues where it reads the pedal position incorrectly and think you are accelerating where you are not, but that is best monitored with the live data on the ODB2 reader.

On my cx-5 I've bumped it. It seems different to what she described. She starts off with the brake fully on and as she releases gas comes on. I thought she might be bumping it. I like the camera idea. This week she's tried driving with the AC off in parking lots and it hasn't happened. I'll give it a few more weeks but I think the AC surge is showing promise. But how would you fix it.

Yeah so pretty much confirmed it. After not using the AC for weeks and never had it happen started leaving it on again and it totally did it again. But I have no idea what to do to stop it and use the AC. For now I'm just telling her to keep it off

Back