Just bought my MSP the other day!

zmcmoy

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
It's got some pretty severe hail damage I'd like to fix but looks like it'll be expensive. Found aftermarket boost gauge, air/fuel gauge, strut bar, cold air intake. The interior is surprisingly clean and the car smells new. As for mechanics, kind of disappointing. The car is obviously running lean, and when I got it, cylinder 4 was misfiring. The spark plug boot was out and the spark was arcing outside of the engine (no joke). I had to tape it up with electrical tape to get the cylinder to fire correctly. New coil packs, wires and spark plugs are on the way. There also seems to be a vacuum leak or something, it accelerates okay if you lightly push the gas, but if you try to floor it, it just won't go fast at all. Seems like if I baby it up to 4,000 RPM and THEN floor it, it'll go fast, but I dunno.

Three codes so far! I had six but I cleared them after the boot was taped up, so the misfire code is gone now. The three I have right now while I wait for the drive cycle to complete though, are P2009, P0660 and P0090. I'm excited to get it working properly but I have no idea where to start, this is my first turbo car.

Some pictures!

U2R6vBJ.jpg

kNhmXAt.jpg

Nice man. I bought my mazdaspeed protege about 6 months ago. It's possible you might have a boost leak somewhere. I'm guessing because I had that issue with mine. Tightened up a few couplers....and it worked.

Im actually looking to find one myself. How much did you pay for yours will all that work needing to be done? Cant imagine much huh?

Mine's a special case, I bought it from my boss after he bought a Focus ST. $1000.

That's a great deal, I would have done that in a heartbeat. I paid $800 for my second MSP and it needed a motor.

That's a great deal, I would have done that in a heartbeat. I paid $800 for my second MSP and it needed a motor.

Yep, gonna fix'r up real nice once it's running again. Wondering how much it cost you to get a new motor put in? I need one too, coincidentally, which is surprising since the car only had 93,000 miles on it.

I installed the motor myself, it's a lot easier than you think. I paid about $1k for a stock FSDE with 25k miles. In hindsight I probably would have bought a JDM FSZE from an importer, they run about $650-800 but they usually have ~45-60k miles. I read some horror stories online about people getting bad motors so I played it safe. There are a couple JDM engine importers in the Dallas area.

That's what I'm mainly worried about, is buying it online and getting another s*** block. The lowest mileage engine I can find online so far has 98k. How long ago was your motor swap?

I have swapped both of my MSP's motors. The first was spring of 2015, which was the stock 25k mile motor. The second was spring of 2016 and I installed a forged 40k mile motor. Since then I have replaced the transmissions in both of them as well.

There also seems to be a vacuum leak or something, it accelerates okay if you lightly push the gas, but if you try to floor it, it just won't go fast at all. Seems like if I baby it up to 4,000 RPM and THEN floor it, it'll go fast, but I dunno.

This is normal hahah welcome to msp ownership

Back