Protege High Mileage Club

just blew my transmission on my way into work today. original lasted to 305k. It's been to cali, vegas, florida six times, texas, new york twice, and chicago about 30 times. Regular maintenance did the trick (transmission flushes every 50k) and sucker only burns between half a quart and a whole quart of oil in 5k miles.

I recently bought my mitsubishi just to have as a toy but looks like ill have to start driving it more often.

That's pretty impressive! A bummer that it died, but great life span regardless.

yeah, no kidding! if it didn't have too much rust i'd throw in a junkyard trans....but it's time for her to go.

When a dealer or a auto repair shop suggests to do coolant/trans flushes, DO THEM! They're not just trying to scam you into things...if you read your owners manual it will tell you when you need to service your vehicle.

1999 Mazda Protege DX 1.6L with 5 speed manual
246,000 miles on it...
I drove everywhere with it :) { from Florida to Salt lake city, California, all of New England, Wisconsin...basically East to West, and South to North :) }
Getting ready for my annual trip from Florida to Maine :)

just retired my 2002 p5 with 175k...rust has basically killed her..needs a starter too...won't pass inspection unless some major work is done...anyway, i'll miss her...selling phats if anyone needs anything
before:
attachment.php

after (6 yrs later)
attachment.php

I bought my protege at 200500km now its at 2004600. still running like a champ! Its 01 protege es. I changed timing belt and water pump for safe measures. :) hoping to get 100k 200km more out this engine! If not im getting msp down the road!

2002 Protege ES 241,000 miles and still runs awesome and reliable! Seems to be burning a little oil or maybe just leaking from valve cover...

Last edited:
2002 ES 214,000 runs great, the only part replaced was the alternator. I also learned that platinum plugs can get very expensive. I've had the car almost 10 years and can honestly say it's the best car I have ever owned, even my wife who had a Civic when we met, liked the Protege' better. She liked it so much she now has a 2014 CX5. Believe it or not I sometimes prefer driving the Protege' over my Mustang. This winter was really hard on it and I am in process of pulling the engine to replace some seals, clutch, water pump, original timing belt, and whatever else I can find that needs replaced, I also plan to try and slow down the rust, sadly rust is taking over :(

34yb3n4.jpg

Update: 2001 ES still tankin' it on the original motor.
Put about 3,000 more on since this picture was taken.

190000-199999
2003 Protege5 - 193xxx miles
Starts first try, getting ready to put it's 3rd timing belt on

I bought a 2002 es 2.0 5 speed with 153k km's on it as a commuter car. Runs really good, all I had to do was change the oil and do a power steering fluid change. I want to get at least 3 years out of it so being up in Canada I took it and had it rust proofed as well. So far so good!!!

Just bought my 1993 Protege DX auto at 160000 miles as of May 7th 2014
Starts right up and runs strong.
needs some tlc but so far pretty happy. :)

Last edited:
I have a 2003 Mazda Protege 5 with 140,754 miles and still running strong im probably going to sell it soon!

2003.5 Protege5
Currently 151400 Miles
Gets a Random cylinder misfire and EVAP system CEL on a regular basis and I reset it and keeps going.
Radiator has a small crack by the top hose neck. Sport shifter no longer allows me to go into + and - to manually shift. Seems like sunroof motor will burn out soon as it is struggling when opening. Always had Mobil1 Synthetic and Original Mazda filter. And I always change the oil myself and let it drip to the last drop before putting in new oil.

Last edited:
182,041 1999 Mazda Protege DX 1.6L Cranks 1st time, every time. Starting to add performance mods now.

Back