Any 2012+ wear out struts/shocks yet?

:
2015 Soul Red 6 Sport Auto 2016 Accord EX Auto
Curious if anyone here with a GEN2 MZ5 has needed a strut/shock replacement yet. We are at 55k miles and the rear shocks are noticeably soft now. Reminds me of my old Caddy DeVille. I followed along and watched the car over bumps and there's definitely a lot of movement, but not so bad as to see light under the tires over bumps.

My wife can't tell as she never drives my car with it's rock-hard struts to see the difference so I won't change them out until it's a safety issue.

For those that have changed them, what did you go with and did you like it?

I have 65k miles on my 2012 M5 and the shocks/struts so far still seem decent. It's my daily driver (mostly highway miles).

I just replaced the front as rear brake pads and took a look at the struts while I had the wheels off. No leaks or anything else visually wrong with them that I could see. I never owned a 1st gen, but by the sounds of it the 2nd gen struts are much better.

I'm sure they're softer than when new, but that's to be expected. I know they say shocks/struts should be replaced every 50k, but I doubt I will touch them unless one blows out, or if the ride gets too bouncy. That said, I don't expect having to change them until at least 100k.

Last edited:
69K miles on OEM original front struts and about 1500 of those miles lowered on H&Rs and they still seem fine. Like Joemama said (no pun intended) they're probably a little soft by now but I also will not replace them until I feel they're unsafe or I see leakage. The rears I replaced at about 55k miles but not because I needed them but rather out of wanting a better stiffer shock. I replaced them with a set of KYB Gas-A-Just monotube shocks which are an upgrade to their Excel-G twin-tube shocks and a definite upgrade to OEM shocks.

I've got 26K on my 2012 Mz5 and 77K on my 2008 Mz5. I replaced the rear shocks on the 2008 in August 2013 after 68K miles with KYB gas-a-just, which was a bit of an improvement over stock. I replaced the front struts on the 2008 this past July at 75K with KYB Excel-G, which is a direct stock replacement. I have stock springs, shocks, and struts in my 2012 Mz5 currently. I don't need to replace anything yet but the ride is definitely more comfortable running my winter 205/60/16 tires on the stock 6.5 inch wide rims. My summer 225/45/17 tires are mounted on 7.5 inch wide rims that have less positive offset, meaning that they sit slightly further out from the wheel hub. The summer rims and tires each weigh about 6 pounds more than my winter set. I get much improved handling but with more unsprung weight mounted further outward at each corner, the ride quality suffers with the stock shocks and struts. I can foresee having to replace them by 50K miles. When I do I'm planning on upgrading to Koni FSD's all around. I don't want to lower my car but I want better ride and handling and something a step above the KYB's I installed on my 2008 Mz5. The Koni FSD's seem to be the best option without spending $1000 or more.

I hear good things about the Koni FSDs. Not just for the MZ5, but also other cars I have/had.

Back