Newly acquired p5 tune up

davemsc

:
mazda protege5
Hey all.

Just wondering what I should do to tune up my new p5. AS you may have read in my other posts, I am not too car savvy. Here are things I know have been done.

Coolant flushed about 30,000km ago
Brake fluid about 40,000km ago
Timing belt about 30,000km ago
Manual transmission fluid about 20,000km ago
alternator about 100km ago:)
Air filter looks good
Oil just got changed

I have no idea if the spark plugs are done or anything like that. I am not getting any CEL but am getting fairly bad gas mileage. Mind you, alot of this tank was idling etc checking alternator, coolant system..but still, It's not good.

Can just replacing spark plugs have that big of a difference? I have no idea if I need to replace wires, coil packs, etc.

What NGK spark plug # are our spark plugs. I think the V-power ones were recommended.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I think its bkr5e but if your unsure, just go to crappytire and flip through the spark plug book in the aisle.
Coilpacks would cause a cell and uneven running so prob fine.
Unhook the battery, pump breaks for a bit to clear ecu and start fresh.

2L gas milage isn't exceptional. But if you drive it civily it isn't too bad.

I think its bkr5e but if your unsure, just go to crappytire and flip through the spark plug book in the aisle.
Coilpacks would cause a cell and uneven running so prob fine.
Unhook the battery, pump breaks for a bit to clear ecu and start fresh.

2L gas milage isn't exceptional. But if you drive it civily it isn't too bad.

Battery was unhooked yesterday while they replaced the alternator...no idea if brakes were pumped, but the ECU was reset.

As for the gas mileage, I filled it up, and the needle is about a notch or two above half a tank and I have about 190KM on it. Like I said, alot of it was idling, checking things out, it went through a ECU reset, etc and almost 95% city driving. But still, that sounds abysmal to me.

Hey all.

Just wondering what I should do to tune up my new p5. AS you may have read in my other posts, I am not too car savvy. Here are things I know have been done.

Coolant flushed about 30,000km ago
Brake fluid about 40,000km ago
Timing belt about 30,000km ago
Manual transmission fluid about 20,000km ago
alternator about 100km ago:)
Air filter looks good
Oil just got changed

I have no idea if the spark plugs are done or anything like that. I am not getting any CEL but am getting fairly bad gas mileage. Mind you, alot of this tank was idling etc checking alternator, coolant system..but still, It's not good.

Can just replacing spark plugs have that big of a difference? I have no idea if I need to replace wires, coil packs, etc.

What NGK spark plug # are our spark plugs. I think the V-power ones were recommended.

Thanks!

How many total km's on the car? If it were mine, I would change the air filter, spark plugs, fuel filter, o2 sensor. I would also flush the brake fluid, Power steering fluid.

Idiling gets you 0 mpg... and avg that with some around town driving at 26 mpg, and you will show some very low mpgs... below 20mpg.

Maybe wait until you run a few tanks thru with your normal driving before you see if you need to address.

Yeah, I'm going to wait and see for a few tanks. The air filter is fine - I just checked it. I'm not sure how much new spark plugs would change things (if they were old/bad).
Wouldn't an O2 sensor through a CEL?

What about fuel injectors? Is it worth throwing some of that concentrated fuel injector cleaner in the fuel tank?

As well, the shield covering my fuel tank is rusted through in parts. If there was a fuel leak due to a damaged or rusted fuel tank (due to the shield not protecting it anymore), I am assuming I would smell that?

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Anyone have an opinion of V power or G power NGK spark plugs in the P5? I know the G power might last longer, but aside from that, any difference?

ALso, is it worth changing to new wires? I have NO idea how to do that, but is it recommended? If so, does anyone have a clue which NGK ones to buy? If I buy new wires, do the boots need to be replaced, coil packs, etc? All I know is that I am going to change the spark plugs - the previous owner had it for about 70000km and didn't change the plugs.

Completely new at this so looking for help and ideas lol
Thanks,
Dave

Last edited:
Back