Possible transmission issue

Rhodius

I have a 2008 CX-9 Grand Touring currently at 119K miles. Probably a bad day since I had news from dealer regarding ball joints replacements as well as realizing there's a couple of items in need of checking/replacements. I posted my questions about ball joints and steering issue that may/may not be related to them. Now this issue is about, what I think is transmission issue.

I read the postings here, so this could be transmission/transmission fluid needs drain and replace or transfer case, one of those. The issue I noticed is when going slightly uphill at a lower rpm (1500) on the 5th gear (fully automatic), it felt as if I got a kick or the SUV is chugging or something. Come to think of it it could be that it tried for 4th but didn't, so I usually put it in manual and shift to 4th and all is good. I'm going to pay more attention to see if it does that with 4th gear or not. Could this be a sign transmission going bad? Or something else?

Thanks.

I have a 2008 CX-9 Grand Touring currently at 119K miles. Probably a bad day since I had news from dealer regarding ball joints replacements as well as realizing there's a couple of items in need of checking/replacements. I posted my questions about ball joints and steering issue that may/may not be related to them. Now this issue is about, what I think is transmission issue.

I read the postings here, so this could be transmission/transmission fluid needs drain and replace or transfer case, one of those. The issue I noticed is when going slightly uphill at a lower rpm (1500) on the 5th gear (fully automatic), it felt as if I got a kick or the SUV is chugging or something. Come to think of it it could be that it tried for 4th but didn't, so I usually put it in manual and shift to 4th and all is good. I'm going to pay more attention to see if it does that with 4th gear or not. Could this be a sign transmission going bad? Or something else?

Thanks.

I had similar issues. The dealer initially stated no problem found. I then demonstrated it and they diagnosed / unsuccessfully attempted to fix multiple times as a transmission related issue. There were no codes displayed when scanned. After they weren't able to fix the problem, I suggested they connect a laptop and diagnose while the car was driving. They identified a misfire. After a cable and plug were replaced, the issue went away. Hope your issue and some of the similar posted by others on this site is as simple as this.

- Zoomfive

I have the exact same issue. I bought an 08' CX-9 sport with 78K a month ago, after our CR-V got totaled.
The previous owner was cheap and did not service the car at a dealer, and only replaced engine oil every 5k.
So when i got the car i immediately address few issues that bothered me: replaced noisy door checkers, AC blower relay and cabin air filter. it took me a while to pin point the issue with the transmission but it's the exact same way as Rhodius described it. It appears that the spark plugs were supposed to be replaced at 60k and are probably what's causing the engine to misfire. Can any of you estimate how much will it cost to replace all the plugs? Will delaying this service cause any further damage to the engine \ trani?

Thanks!

I would have SWORN it was the transmission but based on what I found on the forum, I replaced all 6 coils and all 6 plugs at 94K miles. Problem solved. Just thought I would report back on what I found. Just FYI..... Advance Auto Parts called for the wrong Motorcraft spark plug. The one they sold me would not thread in all the way and caused me to crack a coil. They did give me the Autocrat iridium plugs for free as "compensation".

Todd

I had the same issue on 2008 CX-9, had the dealer scan it for $100 and they told me two coils were bad, Dealer wanted $600 to replace the two coils, there was only 1 coil to be had in Atlanta at the time, so I ordered two OEM Mazda coils from an online dealer for $216, I replaced the coils and the problem was gone.

I have the exact same issue. I bought an 08' CX-9 sport with 78K a month ago, after our CR-V got totaled.
The previous owner was cheap and did not service the car at a dealer, and only replaced engine oil every 5k.
So when i got the car i immediately address few issues that bothered me: replaced noisy door checkers, AC blower relay and cabin air filter. it took me a while to pin point the issue with the transmission but it's the exact same way as Rhodius described it. It appears that the spark plugs were supposed to be replaced at 60k and are probably what's causing the engine to misfire. Can any of you estimate how much will it cost to replace all the plugs? Will delaying this service cause any further damage to the engine \ trani?

Thanks!

$50 in plugs if you buy the best ones, which you should, and 15 minutes in the garage. A dealer might charge $60 in labor if you pay them to do it.

Robotaz, do you realize that this is a cx-9? If you can change all 6 plugs on a cx-9 in 15 minutes I sure would like to know how. Also if a mechanic was to charge only 60 bucks I would go to him in a minute. you do know that the intake manifold ( Plenum ) has to come out.

Robotaz, do you realize that this is a cx-9? If you can change all 6 plugs on a cx-9 in 15 minutes I sure would like to know how. Also if a mechanic was to charge only 60 bucks I would go to him in a minute. you do know that the intake manifold ( Plenum ) has to come out.

No I didn't, so add 45 minutes. Read the shop manual before you start so nothing comes unexpected.

Back