Engine Mount ?

Cars aren't people,... they should be a lot easier to get rid of,.. we shouldn't personify them,..

I figure if a repair is more than half the value of the car you should cut your losses

No funeral,... No alimony.

You forgot coat hangers (the old school metal wire ones)

For anyone else reading this,... remember that the passenger side motor mount has a different length "arm" for the automatic and standard transmission. If your parts supplier doesn't know this or ask you then be careful, (especially on E-Bay).

(Yea I know,.. why the passenger side ??? ,.. you'd think the one on the tranny.)

Yeah... the kit that I got has a part that's listed as actually being for the automatic transmission (BJ0N-39-06YE, DEA A6481). I'm trying to figure out if others who've done the swap have been successful with using this part.

I mean I can afford the OEM parts, but I'd rather not. I drive five miles to work every day and maybe 50 on the weekends. Another 50~60K miles out of this car (it's only got 90K right now) is all I really want.

But then again, maybe I'm not being realistic. I don't know much about car maintenance - I can take things out and put them back in, but that's not really looking at the big picture at all.

If I'm being stupid, please yell at me!

Last edited:
Hi guys. I want to replace the rear engine mount on my Premacy with after-market one since I believe it's the cause of harsh changing into 2nd gear under quick acceleration. Premacy '99 - 05 and Protege are very similar in many aspects, that's why I want to ask you, which way of replacing the rear mount do you recommend as faster or easier? From to top by removing the intake system, or from underneath the car?
Is it neccesary to disconnect the transaxle or exhaust pipe when doing it from underneath? Sure, Premacy has its windshield start almost above the engine, not behind the engine like Protege, which may make to top way more problematic.
So what would you recommend? Thanks for any advice.

Hi guys. I want to replace the rear engine mount on my Premacy with after-market one since I believe it's the cause of harsh changing into 2nd gear under quick acceleration. Premacy '99 - 05 and Protege are very similar in many aspects, that's why I want to ask you, which way of replacing the rear mount do you recommend as faster or easier? From to top by removing the intake system, or from underneath the car?
Is it neccesary to disconnect the transaxle or exhaust pipe when doing it from underneath? Sure, Premacy has its windshield start almost above the engine, not behind the engine like Protege, which may make to top way more problematic.
So what would you recommend? Thanks for any advice.

when me and a friend did mine it we were doing the clutch as the car has 155,000 miles and the OE clutch finally bit the dust, so we had the transmission out anyway and that made that rear mount very very easy to do. i would say that rear mount is easier from the bottom. plus if you remove the intake you have to get all new gaskets for it and make sure everything is torqued down right so you dont get any air or vacuum leaks

Thanks kms for your reply, and sorry for replying so late. I ended up with calling my friend who is a pro-mechanic and he changed the mounting using the traditional way I'd say. In the meantime, I got changed the right mounting as well, so the engine doesn't whop that much, finally.

Back