jri4's 2008 Black Mica Mazdaspeed3 Sport Build Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome info! The chip has been there a while, never bothered to fix it...certainly don't need a while windshield. I'll see what insurance has to say (state farm)

For kicks, I bought a hypertech last weekend and installed it this morning. I really enjoy how much healthier the car feels/sounds. It runs quieter, feels another, and a little increase in power. With my intake being my only real power-adder, I'm loving the tune! Got a great price, too!

Thanks all!

Hit 120,000 miles last week

Spring To-Do:
oil change
Install rear camber arms
alignment
new driver cv axle
fix windshield chip
valve cleaning

inspect timing chain
inspect coilovers (60,000+ miles old)
new battery *next winter*

if I had money:
rear sway bar
front-mount intercooler
cobb ap
fuel pump internals

18 more payments... then buy a DD for same monthly payment, tear down this car for a refresh and mild turbo build

FYI, I had to replace my timing chain (2007 MS3) at 160,000 miles, but some need it a lot earlier. Sitting at 235,000 miles now.

Replaced MAP Sensor to fix CEL P0096... so far, so good

Installed Yakima Roof Rack:
Control Towers with Landing Pad 11
48 inch bars
44 inch fairing
2 - Viper Bicycle Racks

VA, How hard is timing chain to do?

Thank you!

Not horrible. Done way more than I ever thought I would. Just have to pay attention to every detail while you're going.

First post updated with current modifications and the most recent cell phone pic I have of the car

I took a quick look at the timing chain during a 120,000 mile oil change and it looked and felt good... I am not worried immediately, but probably need to start sourcing the parts and knowledge to have it ready to do if needed

There are a lot of necessary and unnecessary parts in those kits. Just don't waste money and you will be good to go

129,000 oil change and tire rotation

Considering selling the car, seriously, for the first time in over 5 years... Any locals have any interest?

I'm ready to move on. I want something more refined and comfortable (4door, awd) but with actually more horsepower. I'm currently looking at a 2011-2013 BMW 335xi, low miles to keep the bmw maintenance bills at a minimum

I have this dream that I will always own a car that is 10x the wheel-horsepower of my age, until age 65 :)... so I am turning 26 in November and my car was dyno'd at 269 hp... I've got one year left as it sits!

The KBB value of my car with 130k makes me sick... $7800 tops... I was actually hoping to ask $12,000 as it sits (minus the roof rack). I'm guessing that is way too much!!! Which means I'm basically stuck with my car until I run it into the ground. It is just getting to the point where I feel maintenance may get expensive, time-consuming, etc. If someone wants to buy it and rebuild/big turbo, it would be perfect...or else I will be doing that as soon as I buy a DD. If I go that route, I will be getting something like a B8 Audi A4 and keeping my car to build to about 400-450hp ;)

No, avoid the BMW at all costs! My good friend Brian has one and it has been in and out of the shop left and right for all kinds of weird s***. He got it with 40k on it. Has a bit more than that now... can't remember how much.

Don't get me wrong, they're quick cars, handle well, and sound pretty mean when you uncork them... but there's a reason that me, being a BMW fan, won't touch anything newer than an E46.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/4679348557.html

Here is some hope I'm clinging onto that I can ask $12,000 for my car. Plan right now is to have it cleaned up and on craigslist by the end of this month, new car by end of November.

Phen, my criteria for my next car really limits the cars I can even look at... not much in my price range. My next car must be:

1. 2009 or newer (preferably 2012ish or newer)
2. Four door
3. AWD
4. More horsepower or better power/weight radio than what I drive now...STOCK
5. Manual transmission
6. Under $25,000

Possible choices I have found:

Evo
STI
Bmw 335 xdrive
Audi A4 with tune (not STOCK)

That's it... I cannot even think of anything else out there that fit all criteria...help?!

On another note, I'd sell my car for a new 5.0 mustang in a heartbeat if I could keep the Price under 30k

You can ask whatever you'd like for your car! I think it is extremely optimistic to hope for more than $10k for your car with 130k+ miles though. In 2012, I sold my car for $10.5k with 102k miles. I believe that $8000-9500 would be a fair price range for your car.

But, stick a "for sale" sign on it, put some ads out there and see what happens. The beauty of it is that it just takes one person that is willing to pay what you want for the car.

And, a couple notes on your upgrade options... STI/Evo hold their values extremely well. In order to satisfy the under $25k and 2009 or newer criteria, you're going to have be very lucky and find an awesome deal, or get something with higher mileage or a salvage title.

Sorry that was kind of a downer post.... :(

you can get like an 08 evo with 30,000ish miles for $25-26k. Just up to Chippy if he wants to buy a car that is almost out of warranty

Patrick, I would want something newer in year, but the mileage is fine anything around 30,000...Just registered on NASIOC forum, snooping for info on 2015 WRXs...base models are surprising in my price range if I can sell my car for $10k+ (not 12k), and the boxer engine sound gives me the willies!

I might be following in Will's footsteps on a much poorer, base model scale... :)

Again, I'm so busy until the end of the month, but I expect something to be done by the end of November. Either I will keep the car at least another year, or it will be sold for something else

2015-subaru-wrx_100457400_l.jpg

Performance for the money the WRX is a much better deal than a STI. Plus, the new direct injected 2.0L in the WRX is going to return gas mileage much more comparable to the MS3. I never got over 20mpg in the STI and the new STI has the same EJ series engine that was in my car.

However, the 2.0L in the WRX doesn't have the traditional boxer sound because they switched to equal length headers. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back