04 Mazda 3 rear brake pad replacement

VAbehrcub

:
2004 Mazda3
Can anyone tell me what tools I need and the sequece for recompressing the caliper piston on a rear brake pad replacement. I have heard several senarios about how this is done.

One involves an alley bolt that backs the piston and the other involves a special tool that compresses the piston while turning it. One additional tale says that you can turn the piston with needle nose pliers and use a 6" c-clamp the recompress the piston.

Here is an excert from from WikiAnswers:
"Start by loosening the brake fluid reservoir cap to make compression easier. Then, (this is the tricky part)pull up the parking brake lever. Now, use your long nose pliers and turn the piston clockwise many times. Then release the brake and use your 6" C-Clamp to depress the piston all the way until flush with the boot. You may need to repeat this process until piston is fully recessed."

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_change_the_rear_brakes_on_a_2004_Mazda_3

Love to hear from anyone who can clear this up.

The answer is....

You need to use a 'brake caliper reset tool'. I rented one from Autozone. The procedure in the previous post may work, but I wouldn't try it.

I replaced the pads and rotors today and can outline the steps for anyone who wants to know. Piece of cake!

You need a special tool to retract the rear pistons, at least if you want to make it easy on yourself (you have to rotate it CW and push in at the same time). I went to Harbor Tool & Freight and bought this set for $30:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=40732

The default adapter that's already on the tool fits perfectly. I replaced my rear pads last night and it made it a piece of cake. All I did was remove the cap from the master cylinder. Also you will need a 7mm allen wrench to remove the caliper bolts.

The most difficult part was actually getting the darn wheels off the car because the hub corrodes so easily which freezes the rim in place. I recommend putting some grease on the hub before you put the wheel back on.

The answer is....

You need to use a 'brake caliper reset tool'. I rented one from Autozone. The procedure in the previous post may work, but I wouldn't try it.

I replaced the pads and rotors today and can outline the steps for anyone who wants to know. Piece of cake!

VAbehrcub, could you send this to me please. I know how to do the front, but would love the steps for the rear. PM me the steps or e-mail. Thanks!

Yes I need these steps. I have never replaced Brakepads before but I have done other work on my cars. Please assume I don't know anything. I need even the most obvious steps :)

Thanks

Back