color choice regret ?

:
2013 CX-9 AWD, 2016.5 CX-5 AWD
has anyone ever regret the color they got for any past vehicles? I have a co-worker who dreads his color choice every day,
he brought a Venza, that was his first mistake LOL. But anyway, he got the "sunset bronze" since it was unique.
He said it looked so nice at the dealer and auto show but in everyday life with
varying weather conditions, the color varies from brown, to almost black to orange ! he can't stand the color but will lose too much money
if he trades in now. Now he realizes he should have taken the time to make sure of what color he liked and not judge the car under artificial lighting cia car showrooms or auto shows

see here for how the Venza bronze color changes so much depending on weather:
https://www.google.com/search?q=venza+brown&safe=off&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjR7cqRzevOAhUJYiYKHVi0BM0Q_AUICCgB&biw=1600&bih=1020

has anyone ever regret the color they got for any past vehicles? I have a co-worker who dreads his color choice every day,
he brought a Venza, that was his first mistake LOL. But anyway, he got the "sunset bronze" since it was unique.
He said it looked so nice at the dealer and auto show but in everyday life with
varying weather conditions, the color varies from brown, to almost black to orange ! he can't stand the color but will lose too much money
if he trades in now. Now he realizes he should have taken the time to make sure of what color he liked and not judge the car under artificial lighting cia car showrooms or auto shows

see here for how the Venza bronze color changes so much depending on weather:
https://www.google.com/search?q=venza+brown&safe=off&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjR7cqRzevOAhUJYiYKHVi0BM0Q_AUICCgB&biw=1600&bih=1020

yeah, I liked the CX-5 soul red more than the old Zeal Red Mica CX-9 red.

The CX-5 has a more vibrant, deeper darker candy apple type red like Ferrari red, the CX-9 red was more an orange-y maroon red.

Last edited:
I think it is a matter of personal preference, but you can't go wrong with WHITE, right? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before I purchased, I went through constant back and fourth deliberation in my head...

I was debating on getting a 16' Pearl White GT-Tech... then I thought it would be my 5th white car....and everyone and their mom on the road has white (at least here in Toronto)...I would get sick of it..
Then I had my mind set on the Soul Red GT-Tech...it would definitely stand out from the crowd. Then I thought it might be too much on the sporty side and not as elegant...My wife is a Realtor and preferred a more classy elegant color when using it to transport clients...

then she swayed me to the Machine Grey... but I thought Machine Grey and Black interior would be too bland....

then I saw the Machine Grey/Auburn Signature in the showroom....said to myself that it was the one...

I THINK I made the best choice for my wife and I....

in the end, pick what you think is best for you....but choose wisely

we knew we definitely wanted Crystal Blue exterior on our GT....but we initially wanted black interior, but they only had sand, so i thought we might regret it. now that we've been in it for a while, we actually like the sand, because there is still a lot of black trim/paneling and like the contrast....plus keeps our interior a tad cooler in the summer heat.

One of the reasons it's not always wise to choose the unique or standout color. Such colors usually don't age well. Your own taste may even change and you're stuck with it. The resale is less and if you want to sell privately could be very difficult.

It's why the vast majority of cars are white, black, silver, and gray. Essentially the absence of color, although not technically. These colors never go out of style and are at least acceptable to just about anybody.

Yes, I have regretted my color choices in the past...usually just a day or two after I bought it. It was sort of like waking up next to someone that you remembered looking MUCH better the night before....or so I've heard. =)

I leased a 2010 Volvo XC60 for 36mos, but in an accident after 14 months and the car was a total loss (and I wasn't at fault). I tried to hide my excitement when the insurance adjuster told me it was totaled, but I hated the color so much that I was glad to be rid of it. It was a color called Terra Bronze (as in Terracotta and Bronze combined)...ick! It was a great deal, because the dealer couldn't sell it to anyone, and I leased it for $0 down and around $345/month (for an almost $50k vehicle). But I learned my lesson about choosing an 'unusual' or 'unique' color on any car...don't do it!

With my 2012 Mazda CX-9, I had a list of four out of the available six colors that I would consider (Black and Copper Red were off the table). Since I was buying a 'leftover' model in November 2012 (months after the facelifted 2013 hit dealer lots), I knew that I would have to be flexible on color to get the trim level and options I wanted. I ended up with the last of my four color possibilities (Crystal White Pearl with Sand interior), but it was the only GT FWD with Moonroof/Bose and Power Liftgate but w/o navigation that I could find in a color I could tolerate. It was also too good of a deal to pass up. It stickered for $38,785 and I paid $29,207 plus sales tax and tag/title fees! For almost $10k off sticker, I could live Crystal White Pearl (even though I liked Silver, Stormy Blue and Dolphin Grey better). I still don't regret my decision, but the color (or lack thereof, since white isn't actually a color) is very boring and it has never fully 'grown on me'. I still get a little envious when I see other 2011-2012 GTs in Silver...but I know they didn't get the deal that I got either! =)

The Bronze color on the Venza, called Sunset Bronze Mica, is one of those colors that looks nice from the right angle and in the right light...basically, on the showroom floor and/or after dark is when it looks good. Otherwise, it's one of those "what were they thinking?" colors. The Venza also came in a color called Gold Umber Mica which was almost (but not quite) as unfortunate looking as the Sunset Bronze. The worst part about buying a color in an unpopular or trendy (at the time) color is the effect it has on the trade-in value. My aunt had a 1989 Honda Prelude Si 4WS (4-wheel steering) in Barbados Yellow. She bought it new and paid just over $20k (which is $38k in today's money). She fell in love with the Acura Legend Coupe that debuted in 1991 and traded-in the Prelude with 28k miles on it. The best she could do was $2k below the average trade-in for other '89 Preludes because of the color.

I regretted choosing black on our Murano, the vehicle before the CX-9. It looked amazing when it was clean but with black "when it was clean" is basically just 1-2 hours after washing it. Black shows EVERY spec of dust, dirt any tiny imperfection. Never again on a daily driver.

Last edited:
Yes, I have regretted my color choices in the past...usually just a day or two after I bought it. It was sort of like waking up next to someone that you remembered looking MUCH better the night before....or so I've heard. =)

hahaha funny. I had a green maxima with camel interior back in '98 when green was in style, regretted 2 days after I bought it when I saw it out in the real world and not pretty nice and fancy artificial lighting in dealer showroom. I was like WTF was I thinking, wanted something different but not something that I couldn;t stand to look at everyday. couldn't wait to get rid of it. and I know for a fact, at the time of trade-in, I got less because of the green color. i see now on the road that the newest trendy color now is "titanium flash, bronze, etc or whatever fancy name they can come up with " to me it's brown......and will see the same fate as the green in the late 90's.

Last edited:
My 2nd car, I choose light grey because it was cheaper than any other colors on the model, and regretted it a few month ago... to much grey cars in my area and really sad color. I kept the car 2 years but never really liked it because of that color.
Never feeled the same way again with other cars, all were black but the mazda is celestial blue and I love it 😍

Back