When do I need to replace the timing belt?

jimdawg269

:
2000 mazda protege
I have a 2000 Protege with a 2.0 and was told by the previous owner that it needed a timing belt. Where or how the owner got that info is unknown. I am a dodge guy and have parked the hemi for a more affordable ride. So I am unfamiliar with the mazda's. The 2.0 is an interference engine and dont want this thing to just up and go on me one day. Yet I dont want to pull it out of service if it doesnt need it. Can you guys get me up to speed on these engines (and cars). What are the quirks about these cars? Anything important I should be aware of and look for?

I think it is non interference. I also think that maybe about 100k you should start to think about it; and the water pump.

at about 90k you should do the timing belt and water pump. other than that the usual maintenance and keeping up with it the car shouldn't have any problems. They are pretty reliable when still stock.

Lol, ok. It has over 133,000 on the engine. So I guess it is time for the timing belt and water pump. Is 90,000 the interval for changing the timing belt? Or is it just a junk chain from the factory and needs to be replaced that early?

owners manual says to check at 60k, replace at 105k.

engine is NON-interference.

90,000 mile intervals are fairly common for belts (not chains). If yours has never been changed, you should get it done (or do it, yourself), soon.You might want to "turkey-baste" the powersteering fluid and change the radiator coolant and brake fluid. If you have an auto tranny, change its fluid as well. Heck, if you have a manual tranny, do the same. That way, you won't have to worry about that stuff for quite a while.

most people say 100k i change at 90k and water pump. other then that maintain it you'll be fine. like this guy up top said change the trans and break fluid while ur at it. american to a jap cars a good move in my mind then again it is for your wife.

I changed mine at 150k stock water pump is still going.

Also if the trans fluid hasn't been changed in an auto with over 100k miles do not change it.

I'm a little confused as to how you have a 2000 protege with a 2.0, the 2.0 didn't come out till 2001 the 99-00 only had the 1.6 or 1.8

If you ignore it, your transmission will fail prematurely. What you may not want to do is have the trans fluid flushed. A simple drain and fill (2 times within 1 month) shouldn't cause any problems but may very well extend the life of your fluid. Check your owner's manual for recommended change intervals.

Back