2009 Mazda 5 Front end Collision Experience FYI

mrwiggs

:
2009 Mazda5 AT
Ive been driving the mazda 5 to and from work for the last 2.5 years after getting a Honda Odysessy for the wife and Twins since double strollers and everything seemed excessive for the mazda.

Last week after rear-ending a chevy cavalier at about 15MPH and braking I can say the 2009 mazda front bumper works very good. Only one air bag went off with only me in the car. The damage looked minor compared to how it felt. Geico called it borderline totalled right away but it drove fine to a dealership with a collision center.

The geico estimate to replace the bumper cover, a very minor bend on the hood, 4 hours of painting, seat belt, and the air bag and related parts only was about 2600. I was surprised it wasn't a lot more, and thank goodness it isn't totalled cause I don't want a new loan to replace that car.

If anyone else has had a mazda or similar-build car front end collision, I am still wondering if I should expect the core parts behind the cover to be replaced. Im going to call the dealership estimator to make sure they inspect it for growth work when they have it all apart.

In conclusion, this incident has firmed up my decision to keep my mazda 5 for many years longer as a commuter due to the resale value dropping drastically now.

Glad you are ok.
15 is not too fast. When they take the car apart, they always check what else is there, it is a normal practice for a good shop.
$2600 is a very light damage so looks like not much. Normally you would get a new bumper cover, foam and rebar behind it, new bag and front sensors and grill.
Usually bag alone cost $700 as most insurance companies don't use "used bags" and only purchase new, OEM, unlike other parts that you are more then likely either get used or aftermarket. I find used OEM bumpers are way better then new aftermarket as the plastic the use is sh*t and cracks was easier then stock and often fit is often not the same.

Thanks. Yeah they quoted an aftermarket bumper but I'll give it a chance since this isn't a show car. Everything else was oem I believe. I would think that the foam deformed and I'm surprised they didn't go ahead and quote that. I'll have to ask about it. I'm fine but the other driver made the impression to the cop that he was playing "whip and cash" according to the cop. He left on a stretcher after seeming fine before the cops arrived. I really hope the cop was right about my reckless ticket getting reduced to improper driving.

He is or he isn't, same deductible on your end.
Kinda stupid getting a ticket after a minor crash.

Finally got it back. Dealership tried to turn it over with a new dent in the new bumper. I have no idea what happened there but they fixed it. Then I find out my gas was siphoned out and subwoofer stolen while it was there. So they are giving me 300 to replace it. I hope court goes better for my ticket than this body shop experience!

Back