CEL Problem with M3 Power Series SRI

Kevo89

:
Mazda 3 s Hatchback 2.3l
Around a month ago I purchased Corksport's Power Series short ram intake for my 2008 Mazda 3 S Hatchback 2.3l. for my first upgrade. For about two weeks things seemed good and the intake was working nicely. Out of nowhere my CEL comes on with the code P2177 for those of you who are not familiar with that one it is running lean off idol, MAF malfunction, large vacuum leak. So naturally I went with the easiest thing I could think of and checked out my MAF sensor and it was pretty dirty. So I cleaned it and popped it back in and the light went off...for about 150 miles. So then I dug deeper and did a smoke test to find a vacuum leak, nothing, cleaned my throttle body, fuel rail, throttle plates, idol control motor, and even my purge valve. Had to buy a new MAF sensor because I broke it taking it out of the SRI. I even hooked it up to my friends snap on diagnostic reader and he couldn't really explain why I was getting the code, he thought if anything the ECU was not dealing well with the new found air and wasn't adjusting well and in turn shooting the lean code. After resetting the CEL after all that cleaning, testing for vacuum leaks and diagnostics the Mazda made it about 30 miles and it came back on. I went home and put the stock air box back in and the code hasn't showed up even after around 300 miles. Now I have been in contact with Corksport and they haven't had any advice for me as of yet (there customer service is amazing at corksport). They claim though that you will not get CEL's from that intake. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions into this or if they have ever heard of anything similar. I am not an expert by any means and could use whatever help I can get.

It can be hard to tell when putting new aftermarket on old oem. Do you have a aftermarket exhaust?

Any chance you can pull the fuel trims, long term and short term?

1) Leak post MAF (or MAF).
2) Purge solenoid.
3) Fuel pump.

I bet it's one of the three.

You initially drove two weeks without the MIL- how many miles? Now it comes on after a single drive cycle?

Yeah longest period without CEL was right after I put it on, around 800 miles, long commute. And yes it came on after around 4o miles after leaving the shop from its inspection. Checked purge but not fuel pump.

Don't have the filter on anymore corksport is having me send it back to inspect it.

Back