Msp cost?

Lokito

:
2000 mazda protege
So I'm planning of doing something with my 00 protege in the future but want to know how much $$ I'm looking at for the project and I have yet to decide if I'm going turbo or n/a but from what I've been reading n/a is not worth it on my ride so tell me how much $$ blood and sweat it took for your beast..btw my mechanic says it's not worth it at all (chair)maybe just because he doesn't have the time for any builds of his own also it is bone stock well except for suspension and music. so lmk which way u went

Here it is....the bumper is like that from a crash some idiot was driving drunk

Attachments

• 2014-07-15 10.05.49.jpg
    2014-07-15 10.05.49.jpg
    364 KB · Views: 147
best bet buy a msp and build from there saves some money that way but still will cost a nice penny.

Is it a 2.0L? Manual?

If yes, then you can turbo it for about $1000 with a used MSP kit. Keep in mind that would be just a basic kit.. manifold, turbo, downpipe, and some type of intercooler and intake setup.

If the answer to either of those is no, then you're best off selling it and buying an MSP. While they're getting a tad old by now and a lot of them have been badly abused, the MSP is still one of the cheapest factory turbo platforms available. Although the downside is that the aftermarket support has almost completely died by now...

It's a 1.8 manual I'll be doing the engine rebuild soon and if I was to buy a turbo kit wouldn't I also have to upgrade other parts I'm not a mechanic but I do think it would not run that great if I don't fully upgrade....I was also thinking about selling buying msp and upgrade the factory turbo

I don't know how compatible the MSP turbo is with a 1.8L.. It should bolt up but it may not be a good idea due to timing differences and possibly not having a forged crank. I'd listen to your mechanic, it's not gonna be worth it. You can get a MSP for about $3-4K now, just keep your eyes open for MSPs around you and do that, then you can work on restoring and upgrading it to your liking.

Thanks for the help and when I say not worth it at all I mean he says it about every car not just my protege but I will take the advice I'll probably just drop a cai and maybe something with the exhaust Hi flow cat idk for s**** n giggles also work on the body from rust

So i was researching and found that aftermarket intake and exhaust does nothing alone but more sound so what can I do I'm not trying to build a speed of light just something fun ..maybe strap rockets to the car lol..If I was to get a couple forged internals would the msp turbo be compatible then ? And would I have to upgrade tranny as well or would it hold

Honestly, turbocharing is going to be the cheapest upgrade that will be noticeable enough to make the car more fun to drive. If I were you, I would do one of the following:

1. Buy an MSP and sell your 1.8
2. Turbo the 1.8 with the cheapest kit you can get your hands on, leave the boost low at 5-7 psi, and don't worry about the crank, transmission or any other internals. Drive it until it lasts.

I would recommend option 1. You'll get 1) higher displacement engine 2) turbo 3) LSD manual transmission 4) MSP suspension 5) MSP styling (interior and exterior) among other benefits. You can get an MSP for about $3-$4K and sell your 1.8 for at least a $1000 (I'm spitballing here), whereas you'd be looking at spending way more than that trying to build up your 1.8.

If you want performance, you've got the wrong car. Even the MSP is the wrong car in a way, but it's one of the cheapest turbo platforms available so it's a great entry level "performance" vehicle if you're on a budget.

Don't forget KrazieyFox the msp also drives like a dream ☺

Well I don't know about that.. I think the ride is rather rough and cabin is super noisy, but that's going to be any Protege. My P5 was the same way. Then again, I'm probably just getting old.

I guess you probably mean that it handles well, which it definitely does. It's a fun car to drive for sure.

Well after hours of deciding I will be rebuilding my 1.8 engine clean up the exterior a bit for a sale and move on to a msp..reading other threads if I'm lucky I can find one running 250hp I'm cool with that for a dd and man some of u guys have dropped a shiny penny on your msp

250whp won't last long without forged internals. LSD is Limited Slip Differential. Don't be afraid to search and learn about the msp

Back