K&N 77-2583KS Cold Air Intake

nevans2014

:
2014 Mazda CX9 Touring
Okay there's been a lot of talk about the K&N 77-2583KS Cold Air Intake used for the Ford Edge Sport 3.7. I'm not here to debate the effectiveness of a Cold Air Intake. I like them, I believe in them, I installed one, I wish I could return one. I've installed them on my last two vehicles without a problem.

Long story short, with only 8k on the odometer I can't justify resetting the ECU every time the check engine light comes on, or tuning the ECU as I do not want to void my warranty. A few minor modification were needed but otherwise this is a good fit. Photos are below.

View attachment 209932
View attachment 209933
View attachment 209934

The first one shows the aftermarket intake hose I had to install to get the K&N rubber fitting to hit the correct angle to the throttle body.

Second one is just an overall shot. Notice I had to use the same Fresh air Intake scoop as OEM. I needed to cut it to fit.

Everything else fit well, it looks good, it sounds good, but it will trigger the check engine light. Given I only have 8k on the odometer I'll be putting OEM back together.

I'll post a separate thread on this so anyone searching can find it easy enough. Live and learn.

Damn, that's a good looking intake too.... SHOULD have been what it left the factory with. But I guess the target demographic for the car is soccer mom's who don't want to know what's going on with the "power unit", and wouldn't appreciate a good engine note. Lol!

Any chance you measured the stock intake tubing diameter vs. the K&N, especially around the MAF? I would imagine the code is getting thrown because more air is flying into the engine/the MAF may not be reading it correctly?

Damn, that's a good looking intake too.... SHOULD have been what it left the factory with. But I guess the target demographic for the car is soccer mom's who don't want to know what's going on with the "power unit", and wouldn't appreciate a good engine note. Lol!

Any chance you measured the stock intake tubing diameter vs. the K&N, especially around the MAF? I would imagine the code is getting thrown because more air is flying into the engine/the MAF may not be reading it correctly?

Voldsom,

I did not measure the diameter of stock vs. K&N. I'm getting the code for a Gross Air Leak not small. I checked the MAF to make sure it's clean and it is. sometimes people over oil the K&N filters causing a problem. I know the diameter is larger, looks to be 3" vs. 2-2.5" stock. I'm 100% sure it's just getting too much air which is tripping the ECU. I know they have certain tolerances that are setup in the ECU, if this intake works on the Edge, I can only imagine our tolerances are less than Ford's. Not too surprised by that. I could do what many do and pull the bulb to the light or put tape over it, but the bottom line is that any real performance gains are wiped out because now the ECU is trying to compensate with more fuel.

The long story short is I love the intake. Looks and sounds great. Performance is an argument I'm not going to participate in right now. Given the ECU is now compensating for too much air, I'm not gaining fuel economy or performance. And while I love sound and look, I'm not willing to risk damage to the engine, or my warranty to get it.

I know Weapon R makes an intake that works for our vehicles as well. I'm not sure if anyone has had any success with those or not. It's pretty much the same setup without the heat shield. To me it's not a good idea to go that route as our intake already pulls cold air in. Without the heat shield your pulling more recycled ambient air in than before. Yes you'll get a smoother airflow, but you sacrifice the cold air to do so.

I will tell you right now that K&N or any of these types of oil media filters are garbage. There is a SAE test done on normal paper media filters to K&N. K&N was one of the worst filtering. There is a reason why some claim it makes more HP. There is a lost of filtering media which then brings into the intake micro material that will slowly ruin your motor, MAF and other parts.
The Mazda has a cold air intake as it is. So do most cars. You think that the engineers would have come up with this stuff already if it actually worked and produced more HP while filtering.

Who cares about car warranty it is more about longevity of your vehicle. K&N will kill it quickly. Stick with OEM filters and change them often. Air intakes are the biggest fraud in the aftermarket performance stuff and they make a good case for it. But if you look deeper and think about it, these things are all hype.

Here is another test (not the one I was looking for)
http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

I would not buy that crap. Save your money and buy OEM.

I will tell you right now that K&N or any of these types of oil media filters are garbage. There is a SAE test done on normal paper media filters to K&N. K&N was one of the worst filtering. There is a reason why some claim it makes more HP. There is a lost of filtering media which then brings into the intake micro material that will slowly ruin your motor, MAF and other parts.
The Mazda has a cold air intake as it is. So do most cars. You think that the engineers would have come up with this stuff already if it actually worked and produced more HP while filtering.

Who cares about car warranty it is more about longevity of your vehicle. K&N will kill it quickly. Stick with OEM filters and change them often. Air intakes are the biggest fraud in the aftermarket performance stuff and they make a good case for it. But if you look deeper and think about it, these things are all hype.

I would agree that most gain-claims of air filters/intakes are dubious at best (unless you're talking about a CPE MAFcI system for the 6, which has proven gains by forum users, with dyno results to back it up). I agree with @nevans thoughts on sound and looks though. That was the main reason I put an SRI from AEM in my old 6. The intake growl at 3500k gave me goosebumps every time. Never got a CEL with that one or had a problem, but it was made for the car. As for the 9, if it is a CAI already than that is good design. But I HAVE to call shenanigans on that stupid muffler box on top. I mean seriously, it looks like a snorkel on the thing and there is NO way it could help air flow... It's there to quiet the engine down for the target market buyer. As for air quality into the engine, yup OEM is the best for filtering.

As for designers only doing things to help the engine perform, I would disagree there. Pure performance or reliability aren't the only concerns. There is so much trickery to get CO2 emissions down and fuel economy up that logic and simplicity are replaced. My old 3.0L V6 wagon was a perfect example. The air box was like frankenstein's monster, with all the flaps, resonators, mufflers, and trumpets in there to shut it up (and swapping it all out saved about 13 lbs, actually weighed). The EGR (exhaust gas recirculate) system was one of the first things people block/bypass on that engine, as it dirties the intake manifold and cylinders. And the pre-cat system, built into the header,s were known to fail, blow a chunk off, and trash the expensive cat further back in the line.

I don't bring any of this up to create an argument, just that when I look at an engine bay I don't automatically think it HAS to be that way, but think about why they do it (maybe it's the engineer in me).

Back on topic: I'm intrigued if a proper coupler as suggested by monoxide on the other thread will resolve your issue Nevans. If it's just leaking at the TB, that could be why the code is thrown...

Last edited:

Really didn't want this thread to get into the same old argument of cold air intakes. This is why I was careful to not put my opinions about performance/protection out there. I read, previous to any of my CAI purchases, the research that has been done on Cold Air Intakes. And while Nicoclub posts a very strong article here, they have numerous other posts from users and sponsors supporting the use of Aftermarket Intakes, including aFe which is included in this test.

I do not bring this up to argue the point. I trust data, data does show the aftermarket filters allowing more dust through the filter. Point made, great work! The reason I bring up this point is to address the claim that engineers would have come up with this if it meant more horsepower. To that I say you are mistaken. Engineers will come up with whatever design appeals the most to their target market. Zoom-Zoom is Mazda's credo, it lives within the CX-9 as I believe it to be the superior handling crossover in it's class. However, that does not change the fact that it's target market is soccer moms and yes, soccer dads who may appreciate decent handling, but are more concerned with a nice quiet and compliant ride. Which brings in the baffle/muffler box on the stock intake.

So to my previous point, yes I am aware the Mazda has a stock cold air intake. My post is pretty clear on this. However, given the fact that K&N, Nicoclub, and as much as I love them, Mazda, have their own interests in mind when posting any type of research. I trust no manufacturer as I know what is most important, their bottom line. I go with what I decide to go with.

Peace, I'm outta here

I go with what I decide to go with.

Hell yeah brotha. I'm just interested in people trying new things with the CX-9 :) It seems like any sort of filtration or fluid to put in your car always sparks a debate. Regardless of that debate though, I am interested (as I know a few other members are) about a different intake on the 9, regardless of CAI or not.

Thanks Voldsom, I agree with you 100%. People see the "9" as nothing more than a grocery-getter. What I see is a strong baseline for a pretty kick-a** three-row crossover. My wife can't understand why I would put any work into a brand new car, I have to remind her that if people don't have a vision of making things better we would never progress as a society. Pretty deep I know...

Total side note but I have to say that you live in the greatest state in our country. Not because of their recent decision to legalize certain products, because the people and places are great. I've tried to uproot my family numerous times to move out there, and will continue to for years to come. Born loving John Elway, and will die following whatever QB is there 30-40 years from now.

Looks like you pieced together a couple parts at the TB to make it work, I'd be willing to bet you are pulling in extra air (leak) that is not being metered by your up stream MAF sensor. Which would cause the CEL to come on.

Okay I haven't wanted to post so I don't jinx it but it's been over a week now and no engine light. Now that I've said that it'll probably go off on my way home from work today. I didn't find a permanent fix to the problem but appears to have been the crappy intake tube I bought from "that aisle" in auto zone...you know the aisle with the shiny hood scoops :) For a temporary and rather barbaric fix I sealed any gaps and strengthened the tube to ensure no air is escaping, tightened the hell out of the clamps and so far so good. My ultimate plan is to have an intake tube built that will allow a smooth bend to the actual intake and seal properly with the K&N tube. We'll see what happens with it but for now it's too damned cold to work outside on it.

Great news! How's the sound of the intake while driving it for the last week? Nice and growly?

Back