6th gear lock-up/unlock

Peryan

:
2008 cx-9 grand touring awd
My '08 GT AWD has a distinct surge/thud noise when on a slight incline in 6th gear under acceleration. I have narrowed it down to the TQ lock up. It only does it in 6th gear in drive position? Once you move the gear selector to M the TQ unlocks and stays unlocked as designed. In M the surge/thud is not there. It feels like a trailer hitch issue or being hit from behind. There are several others on the forum with the same issue. I replaced the plugs to no avail. The car runs great except for this issue. Any ideas?

This sounds like classic misfire... One of your ignition coils may be showing signs of failure. It took about 2 months of intermittent shuttering on my car before flashing check engine, then fault code P020x, where x = cylinder #. Relatively inexpensive to fix, don't wait to fix it.

Last edited:
Yes this is a misfire, I went thorough all this with my CX-9 and swore it was a transmission issue. This forum saved me, I had no codes at all and saw where others had similar problems and it had been fixed with spark plugs and/or coils. I would recommend pulling the dynamic chamber and checking the coil resistance. You can check the coils (6) with an OHM meter, I bet you get at least one with an open circuit. I elected to replace all 6 coils at $80 a piece online. Put dielectric grease on the coils (at plug) at reassembly.

It sounds crazy but I haven't had this problem reoccur in over 10k miles.

+1, Listen to these guys. ^

The transmission of CX9 is pretty solid. (from Aisin (satellite company of Toyota), who supplies to Volvo, Toyota, Lexus, and many small companies)
Engine (coil, water pump), TC, and differential are the weak links.

+1, Listen to these guys. ^

The transmission of CX9 is pretty solid. (from Aisin (satellite company of Toyota), who supplies to Volvo, Toyota, Lexus, and many small companies)
Engine (coil, water pump), TC, and differential are the weak links.

^^^ You mean the ford parts.... (lol2)

Back