Daytime Running Lights

My09CX-9

:
Mazda CX-9
Does anyone know how to turn on the Daytime Running Lights (DRL)? The dealer claimed that there's no instruction for them to do so with the Electronic Control Module (ECM) ~ Thanks!

running lights

I think the easiest thing to do is just turn on the headlights full time by rotating the steering wheel knob clock wise. Not so sure, but I do think that even if you leave the lights on and go away they will actually turn off after a certain amount of time in manual mode. I need to check on this though.

However, that does NOT constitute Daytime Running Lights, when only the low beams are on during the day! If Canada (and other European countries) mandates DRLs, there must be an adjustment that could be made!

I believe DRL is the high beam running at 1/3 intensity.
The circuitry of CDN model is wired differently from US model.
There is no easy fix for DRL. If you are serious about this, it would be a big task to take on.
If I were you, I would probably just use my low-beam. CX9 has auto-off head-lights anyway.

Is no option for daytime running lights. I use the fogligths as a running ligths. Go to CX 9 electronics and you will see some post explain how to do it...

Is no option for daytime running lights. I use the fogligths as a running ligths. Go to CX 9 electronics and you will see some post explain how to do it...

Thanks ~ that's very helpful! My MDX has its DRL in the fog light position anyway, so it'll work just fine!

Sucessfully used a Hamsar HS-45035 DRL Module to power high beams at 1/3 intensity when engine is running. It shuts off when low beams and/or high beams are on. Mounted module on driver side railing near relay box in engine compartment. Hook up was easy....only 5 wires....ground; 12v constant (post inside engine compartment fuse box) ; 12v to ignition on wire (used wire on connector in engine compartment fuse box; high beam and low beam (tapped into wires in driver side wheel well above fog light housing).
Now DRL works as it is suppose to and also qualifies for insurance discount.

Sucessfully used a Hamsar HS-45035 DRL Module to power high beams at 1/3 intensity when engine is running. It shuts off when low beams and/or high beams are on. Mounted module on driver side railing near relay box in engine compartment. Hook up was easy....only 5 wires....ground; 12v constant (post inside engine compartment fuse box) ; 12v to ignition on wire (used wire on connector in engine compartment fuse box; high beam and low beam (tapped into wires in driver side wheel well above fog light housing).
Now DRL works as it is suppose to and also qualifies for insurance discount.

That sounds great ~ Could you please post the step-by-step instructions? Thanks!

I wrote to Hamsar to inquire about DRL for the CX9 and here's the reply:

"Our application guide does not include the 2009 Mazda. May I recommend your assistance to submit a copy of the wiring diagram whereby our engineering department will be able to verify the recommended Model. Without the wiring diagram we cannot say for sure."

If anyone has the wiring diagram, would you please send it to them (jennifer_starchuk@hamsar.com)?

Can I ask a dumb question? I'm not trying to be an ass, either. It's a real question.

Why are DRL's are so important to have that you are willing to spend a lot of money and tear into the car's wiring just to add them? What do they provide that you can't live with out?

I can't speak for others, but here's why I want them:

1) They're already required in both Europe & Canada for safety reasons. I hate living in a Nanny State as much as the next guy, but study after study shows that DRL's are safer than not having DRL's.

2) Where I live (Seattle) people turn on their lights during the daytime to simulate DRL's, especially when it's raining. But it's less convenient to do this than to always have them on.

3) Simulated DRL's are not the same things as real DRL's which are usually some form of the high beam at a lower intensity. Presumably, this puts less wear on tear on your normal headlights as opposed to the simulated method.

4) Most insurance companies provide discounts for real DRL's and insurance companies have hard data backing up everything they do. So you can save some money *and* have more data in favor of the argument that DRL's are safer.

5) I don't think that installing DRL's needs to involve "tearing up" your existing wiring. This statement is a bit loaded, and it makes it appear that some idiot weekend hacker is smashing through his CX-9 with a crowbar and a soldering iron. I don't plan to "tear up" my car to do this, but then folks who want DRL's probably don't want to tear up their cars, either. You'll either do some simple re-wiring yourself if you know what you're doing or you'll pay a professional to do it. I'm sure you wouldn/t ask a similar question about "tearing up" stuff to someone taking his car to CarToys for a stereo upgrade. We're just talking about a straightforward mod -- nuttin' more, nuttin' less.

Last edited:
I spoke directly with Hamsar tech support and they said that the 45035 Daytime Running Module is compatible with the CX-9 which uses a 9005 (HB3) halogen bulb in the high beam circuit. This module is designed to operate a 2 headlamp system at 60% reduced output which allow your high beams to be the DRL and ensure that you will not burn out your lowbeam headlamps prematurely.

The unit is available from Terminal Supply Co in Troy Michigan @ 800-989-9632 and reference part #HS-45035.

Following the supplied directions, the module was very easy to install. I mounted the module on the driver's side rail with a single screw in the engine compartment near the relay box. There are only (5) wires that are required to connect in the wire harness: BLACK to any suitable ground; RED to the positive terminal lug inside the engine compartble fuse box (which is directly next to the relay box). Referring to the factory wiring diagram, the high beam circuit uses a RED/BLACK wire and the low beam circuit uses a RED/PURPLE wire both of which are located behind the driver's side headlamp unit. There is a wire loom which is easily acessible by removing the plastic fasteners and screws which hold the inner wheel wheel splash guard in place. Removal of the entire wheel well splash guard is not necessary. You only need to turn the wheel in to gain access to the area behind the headlamp unit. You need to cut back the black plastic wire wrap to expose these two wires which are contained inside a wire loom which goes to the mylar connector mounted on the underside of the headlamp unit. The WHITE wire of the module gets connected to the high beam wire (RED/BLK) with a supplied wire tap. THe ORANGE wire of the module gets connected to the low beam wire (RED/PURPLE) with a supplied wire tap. You can then wrap everything in electric tape to restore to factory standards. Finally after all connections are secured, the GREEN wire must to wired to a 12v source which is live when the ignition key is in the run position. I used wire tap on a suitable wire inside the aforementioned engine compartment fuse box which works perfectly and does not cause any excessive current draw as the GREEN wire is merely a sense wire for the DRL. The whole process should take you less than 45 minutes and will give you complete DRL functionality in compact installation and enable you to qualify for a insurance discount on your policy.

Last edited:
I noticed they also have one that has "Low Beam Reduced 24%" (45020) ~ Do you know whether it works on the CX-9? I've always liked the VW Touareg DRL look. Thanks.

Either unit will work in the CX-9 as installation is identical. However, keep in mind that at only 24% reduction of the 60 watt rating, output will be significant and you run the risk of "blinding" oncoming drivers as the high beam pattern is aimed higher. Also, at only 24% reduction, you will burn out the bulbs at a faster rate and the 9005 (H3B) bulbs are approximately $20 each.

Either unit will work in the CX-9 as installation is identical. However, keep in mind that at only 24% reduction of the 60 watt rating, output will be significant and you run the risk of "blinding" oncoming drivers as the high beam pattern is aimed higher. Also, at only 24% reduction, you will burn out the bulbs at a faster rate and the 9005 (H3B) bulbs are approximately $20 each.

I'm afraid I don't follow what you're saying ~ Why would you blind anyone with a 24% reduction with the HID low-beam in daytime running mode? And why would the high-beam pattern be aimed higher? Also, not only does the Touareg have the HID as its DRL, so does the GMC Acadia and some Volvo models, and the HID bulbs actually burn with lower voltage!

The reduction of output of the DRL is applied to the wattage, not voltage. The electric system runs at 12v and the Hamsar DRL module is only compatible with a halogen type (or filament) bulb . It will NOT work with the low beam HID system as the output of the HID ballast used in the CX-9 requires a constant 35 watts which can not be reduced.
Keep in mind that the HID low beam bulb pattern has a sharp cutoff which is aimed LOWER than the halogen high beam. Your high beam bulb pattern is amied HIGHER to provide MORE light further down the road.
The 60% reduction in output of the high beam means that your halogen bulbs are burning at only 24 watts when used as DRL's, while as regular high beams, they operate at 60 watts. This reduced intensity results in bulb conservation while allowing for sufficient illumination during the daytime.

Back