Swapping my pro5 motor to an MSP motor suggestions and help.

Ohio, MP5, to MSP motor swap suggestions and help.

Hello, I am the proud owner of a 2002 protege 5, I recently purchased 2 MSP's one runs, with 155,000 miles and one has 86,000 miles on it and doesn't run. I want to do a motor swap and turbo my protege 5.

I am trying to go about this as smart as possible, I was wondering if there is anyone on this form that could help me with these motor swaps.. I wouldn't expect anyone to do this for free and am willing to pay for help..

I am out in Ohio, and any advice and help is greatly appreciated..

Thank you. And Happy Thanksgiving
Chris Krupa

Last edited:
And one has a front mount intercooler, blowoff valve etc, the other side mount factory, should I leave the side mount on or change to the front mount?

Hey there
I just did the same thing as you, in regards to turbo charging my p5 from a msp setup.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...ng-your-P5-Here-s-a-guide-for-getting-started

that sticky is your best friend

something you should consider is that the msp and p5 motors are identical. if your p5 has a good motor, no need to swap. all you'll need is the manigold, turbo, wastegate, downpipe, and all the other stuff in that sticky. but if you want to fully swap the motors then you could do that too. only differene is the windage tray on an msp, and the lsd but thats in the transmission. well those are the major differences at least.

i would recommend a FMIC, but you could stick with the side mount. what are your power goals ? how much boost do you wish to run ? things like this need to be taken into consideration.

on a side note; if you decide NOT to swap motors but just interchange parts from msp to your p5, i think you will be able to do it yourself if you're mechanically inclined, and patient. i'm not a mechanic by anymeans but i have the proper tools available and did a lot of research (2-3 months worth of research and acquiring ALL the parts i needed before starting) and was able to do this by myself. nothing is extremely difficult, only thing i couldn't do was weld, so i took my oil pan to a shop and they charged me about $30 to weld a bung in the oil pan for the return line. good luck and keep us updated on your build!

Imho just swap over the stock stuff from the msp. Like it was menioned above the motor is the same so you just need to move the turbo bits over. If you want to do the full convesion you need the windage tray which requires a removal of the transmission.

Dont dump any extra money on aftearket parts. The car is over a decade old and the performance gains are not worth what you will.pay.

Hey there
I just did the same thing as you, in regards to turbo charging my p5 from a msp setup.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...ng-your-P5-Here-s-a-guide-for-getting-started

that sticky is your best friend

something you should consider is that the msp and p5 motors are identical. if your p5 has a good motor, no need to swap. all you'll need is the manigold, turbo, wastegate, downpipe, and all the other stuff in that sticky. but if you want to fully swap the motors then you could do that too. only differene is the windage tray on an msp, and the lsd but thats in the transmission. well those are the major differences at least.

i would recommend a FMIC, but you could stick with the side mount. what are your power goals ? how much boost do you wish to run ? things like this need to be taken into consideration.

on a side note; if you decide NOT to swap motors but just interchange parts from msp to your p5, i think you will be able to do it yourself if you're mechanically inclined, and patient. i'm not a mechanic by anymeans but i have the proper tools available and did a lot of research (2-3 months worth of research and acquiring ALL the parts i needed before starting) and was able to do this by myself. nothing is extremely difficult, only thing i couldn't do was weld, so i took my oil pan to a shop and they charged me about $30 to weld a bung in the oil pan for the return line. good luck and keep us updated on your build!
Well my goal is to run about 210hp, the MSP that runs is full of rust and is not going to last to much longer. My motor on my MP5,has around 193,000 miles and the, and the MSP has 155,000 miles on it. I would like to do a full convertion of the motor and transmission.. I just want to be able to run enough boost to get me over 200hp.

The other car that doesn't run has 86,000 miles on it but I need to find out why it doesn't run, because it would make more sense to use that motor unless it's blown.

Well I don't have a garage available to me to do the swap, and I would like to swap the tranny over and everything. And I don't have another car to drive while this one is being torn down and rebuilt..

Back