Mazda5 real-world Mileage numbers

^^
For me it being underpowered allows me to achieve the MPG it does. If it had my MS3 power, I would get nowhere near the MPG i do on the 5

Good luck

Adding a 6th gear should help on Highway mpg and a small turbo should help with the power when you need it.

Anyway, in my 2013 auto, I got about 25mpg,mostly Highway but a little city and mountain driving. Highway was averaging 80-85 with AC on all the time and the sunroof vent open sometimes, and did quite a bit of speeding up to pass.

Overall I am pleased, and feel that it should get the rated 28 mpg if I were going 65-70 and closing the sunroof. It would be nice to be higher, but I have no complaints, since I am getting what is advertised.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Adding a 6th gear should help on Highway mpg and a small turbo should help with the power when you need it.

Anyway, in my 2013 auto, I got about 25mpg,mostly Highway but a little city and mountain driving. Highway was averaging 80-85 with AC on all the time and the sunroof vent open sometimes, and did quite a bit of speeding up to pass.

Overall I am pleased, and feel that it should get the rated 28 mpg if I were going 65-70 and closing the sunroof. It would be nice to be higher, but I have no complaints, since I am getting what is advertised.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Even my Skyactiv CX5 that I can get up to 36 mpg with through a whole tank would drop to about 27.5 mpg or less if I drove it like that. I can get easily over 31 mpg with my 5 if I drive 65 mph.

I just bought mine about a week or so ago, but my very first tank with 20 miles on the odometer was 24.9 MPG. I was pleased with that considering I was doing a motoman break-in during that tank haha. Second tank came out to 27.4 MPG, that's with about 70/30 Highway/City split and I have a bit of a lead foot and cruise at 75+ on the highway. Again, pretty happy with this considering this is with only a few hundred miles on the clock. It's not even begun to loosen up and stretch it's legs yet. I usually do about 70% highway driving so I'm thinking 30+ mpg per tank is possible once it's good and broken in.

6 Speed diesel is availible in europe....

Its gets
38/49

With todays prices that kind of pisses me off its not availible here.....

http://www.mazda.co.uk/

Followed up on this, it's actually got a 1.6 liter Peugeot turbodiesel with 115 hp and 200 ftlbs of torque, NOT the Mazda 2.2 Skyactiv diesel.

Still great fuel economy though. Most of the reviews I have read on it say it's just fine around town and on the highway, but it struggles to overtake other cars a bit and requires some planning ahead. 0-60 is about 13.5 seconds too. I could actually deal with this as I had a 90 hp Jetta TDI which did 0-60 in about 11.5 seconds. It's not as bad as it sounds. Anyone who's owned a modern diesel car knows what I mean. The numbers don't do them justice. The massive torque makes them feel much more responsive in daily driving than the numbers would seem to indicate. That said, I don't think this engine would be sufficient for an American audience. We'd need the 2.2. It would be amazing with the 2.2, it would handily outperform the 2.5 MZR petrol motor and still deliver well over 40 MPG. Too bad this will never be a thing. :(

Any issues to report in the 93K miles outside of normal maintenance?

Yes, 1st and 2nd gears and synchros were replaced at 54k. Only 6spd showing this done in the Mazda system so it's probably a one off. Right front wheel bearing was replaced, and that's it. Paint is chipped and has rust spots starting where the paint is gone (not really mazdas fault beyond thin paint). Interior has held up very well but it is just me driving in it 99% of the time.

Yes, 1st and 2nd gears and synchros were replaced at 54k. Only 6spd showing this done in the Mazda system so it's probably a one off. Right front wheel bearing was replaced, and that's it. Paint is chipped and has rust spots starting where the paint is gone (not really mazdas fault beyond thin paint). Interior has held up very well but it is just me driving in it 99% of the time.
One off?

My friend who just traded his Mazda5 manual trans on a Subaru Crosstrek, had 2nd gear sychros replaced at 49k miles. Clutch at 70k. One owner car.

His dealer had said it was the 3rd synchro that dealer had done on the manual trans mazda5.

104,943 miles at bedtime today, no major issues to complain about except for mpg dropping off(don't have the exact number but only getting about 290 miles per tankful). It might have something to do with the o2 sensor that has caused the check engine light to go on.

Hi,

I bought my Mazda 5 GT 2008 about two month ago and don't drive too much yet. But I was trying to bean easy driver and check how much it takes.
So, my first result of mix driving (city/highway~40/60) resulted in 13.1 L/100 (21.5mpg), second result even worse - 14.1 L/100 (19.9mpg).

Ok, so I was going from Toronto to Kitchener and back, and measured kind of pure highway drive. Got 8.2 L/100 (34.4mpg)

As for me, that's too much for this kind of engine, isn't it?! I expected more like 7L/100 on highway and 9-10L/100 in a mixed mode... Now I am wondering if it worth going to mechanic and start looking for problems...

Just did a trip from DC to to NC. Averaged about 34 mpg on the way down (avg ~55mph) and 32 on the way up (higher speeds on the way up ~65mph). Pleased either way. 2014 MZ5 sport AT. Stock tires @ 40 PSI.

I just bought Red 2015 GT 5 in Phoenix last Friday and drove home to Las Vegas. I got just over 28 MPG on the first tank driving around 65-70. Needless to say I am very happy with those numbers. I traded in a 2010 Kia Sedona on it and I was only getting 16-18 around town. Never took it on the road so can't compare it. But I love the car.

Just did a 330 mile trip and got 30mpg out of my 08 5AT with 138k. Very pleased its still pulling good highway numbers.

I am not sure about "real world" for fast drivers. I am always a slow driver and this is my observation.
Mazda5 2014 6-speed manual , single driver and about 100 lbs of cargo, tire pressure 42 PSI. The car manual recommends 35 PSI but 42 PSI was the pressure that Mazda dealer pumped in when I bought it new off the lot in San Antonio Nov 2014. I feel fine with the ride on Texas roads so I leave that 42 PSI pressure over-inflation as is. (The max pressure on the tire sidewall reads 51 PSI).
Around town (San Antonio , TX and Corpus Christi, TX areas) 27-28 mpg. The yellow fuel light would come on at the last bar on the fuel, I have filled up the car 3 times so far, each time 13.7 - 13.9 US gallons. So it is fairly consistent.
The trip is from Tyler, TX to Corpus Christi, TX 420 highway miles plus 27 miles errand, total 447 miles. Fill up was in Tyler at the start of the trip. Air conditioner is off because January temperature is 55 deg Farenheit. I put cruise control on 6th gear at 60 mph. Mind you that many Texas highways have 75 mph speed limit. I always drive on slow lane of multi-lane highways so other cars and trucks could pass me without problem. If I drove that slow on the country roads of Texas I would probably have been shot or run off the road to the ditch.
The fill up is 13.9 US gallons which works out to 32.1 mpg.
So I guess that is the most that Mazda5 can do.

Turned 107,000 today. 2012 sport 6mt. Economy went back up with warmer weather. 31mpg on my last 1000 miles, 28.6 lifetime.

Hmm.... I have an 09 manual and my first tank as 18.2mpg. I put in nearly 14 gallons. Not sure if this is getting used to the vehicle (and the belly pan was broken and flapping, creating a certain drag for the vehicle -- I removed it today). Or if perhaps I have something else going on. I'll research common issues that cause poor FE and see how tank 2 fares.

am I the only one with the worst mpg number? 2014 Mazda5 GT/Auto. average 15.5L/100km, 18.2mpg. 100% city/stop and go driving.

Back