ViCS vs VTCS with PICS!

Updated with problems

Wondering if I have to take off the manifold to change the check valve (shown in photos) on bank 1?

there is a green and white one way (check) valve that is on the bottom side of the mani. its connected with a vac. hose. not sure what its function is, but its a great spot for a leak when you go turbo. best part is not too many know about it and then cant figure out why they have a bad idle. leave it there until you are boosting a good amount. just like the pcv valve, it can only handle so much.

You live in Golden, CO not Anchorage, Alaska. It doesn't get that cold here. I live in Highlands Ranch and have been VTCS-less for 2 full winters now.

Cold<40ish and maybe 8 months was a little too much. Anyways ya answered my question haha

there is a green and white one way (check) valve that is on the bottom side of the mani. its connected with a vac. hose. not sure what its function is, but its a great spot for a leak when you go turbo. best part is not too many know about it and then cant figure out why they have a bad idle. leave it there until you are boosting a good amount. just like the pcv valve, it can only handle so much.
that is the solenoid which actuates the rod that the butterflies are on. You'll need to leave it connected to avoid a CEL.

its not a valve, its the actuator for the VICS or VCTS. if you can get to it, you can replace it.

I think he is talking about this...
VTCS_pics.JPG

well you can't reach that without taking the upper off... obviously. So, is that the part in question? and... why do you want to replace it?

I think it was JDMSam who said "hogging" out the entire intake of VICS and VTCS would net you decent gains. He also stated that part needed to just be straight through vac line, no check valve of any sort. And I think I read some where that that hose is prone to boost leaks..

I think it is broken and contributing to my P0171 and P0660 error.

I am asking for advice about replacing it.

I hear a hissing sound coming from that area.

I think it is broken and contributing to my P0171 and P0660 error.

I am asking for advice about replacing it.

I hear a hissing sound coming from that area.

i "Think" you can remove just the top portion of the intake manifold to get that piece out. i haven't looked at it in a while, but i thought all the bolts are on the top side. i know you can remove the manifold-head bolts all from the top no problem, but i cant remember about the manifold split bolts.

Well this seems to have gotten outta hand. I am just looking to find out if the simple disconnect of the vacuum line works until I can get it removed.

But if you look at the aftermarket manifolds like the 505 it seems to be a simple "air can" from the outward appearance so I don't see how either of these systems would really hurt the situation if disconnected or removed. I know that is a very simple observation so take it for what it is worth.

I just started doing this on a spare p5 manifold , i got around to port/polish the runners but is it necessary to plug the holes between the runners where the vtcs rod was? all i need to do is thread the hole where the grommet was and buy a bolt to cap it off.

Any one knows if this is normal on a protege 1999 lx 1.8 to not have the vtcs ? I just dismantled the plenum and I dont see any of air tumbling action flaps.
7fc66af1a10928ad81652d6983484386.jpg

VICS seems present thou ...
9307b9552728401cadb2d0c0ddeb0d49.jpg

Thank you so much. Any advice on to clean thease ? Winter is at the door and last year I experienced very ver very!! difficult start up (especially when weather was bellow -20Celcius. I'm gonna start to clean these and change the egr valve for the upgraded version first (mine doesn't have the coolant lines). Any advice on how to clean the manifold ?

Latest posts

Back