CX5 Issues

I did prior to bringing it in. It seemed to be even when the car would go over bumps which is why the harness was replaced because it was assumed the wiring is bad. But now my cars volume goes up and down on its own. its like one wiring issue causes another..

Just curious, have you filled out a dealer survey expressing your concerns? I had a couple of issues with my wife's CX5 and since they get graded all of the sudden they were more responsive. Also don't wait for Mazda corporate to call you, call them and clearly go over your history. I did this because I got scammed by my dealer changing my plugs at the 30,000 mile mark when the owners manual clearly states 60,000, my bad for reading it after the fact.They agreed and sent me a reimbursement gift card for use at my next service. My take is Mazda is such a low volume seller that the only way the dealers can can make money is to over charge it's customers. My sons Mazda 3 has been bullet proof and just feels like it's put together tighter. We both have 40,000 plus mile on our cars and his is as tight as the day he bought it. Our CX5 it rattling and failing apart. It's almost like the quality of the materials, whether it be the suspension or body are sub par.
My USB connection just took a dump last week very frustrating.

Something is going on with our nav. I'm getting no sat signal. Of course it happens while we are on vacation. Did a hard reset and remove/insert the SD card to no avail. Will be taking it into the dealer.

On a side note, the navi interface for address entry is plain lousy and isn't intuitive.

I started driving my car (3 days old) this morning and while I was travelling south, my Nav was going north. I thought of this thread. (nervous)

This vehicle has two problems, and the infotainment system is one of them(the other one is paint). For the first 3 months, mine would reboot itself and stay stuck on the black Mazda logo. I later discovered that the temperature was affecting the system. If the weather changes 15 to 20 degrees, and if the vehicle sat out in the heat being over 90 degrees. I bought a sunscreen and am still debating on tinting the windows with thermal tint, but it hasn't rebooted or glitched for a couple of months now. I have a 16.5 sport with the same infotainment in the Grand Touring minus the SD card for NAV. Looks like your having issues with the dealer fixing the issue properly. Like some others mentioned, I would have another dealer work on it, and I would call Mazda of North America. I purchased mine new, and it had a warped rotor at 600 miles. I took in to the dealer, and they machined the rotor and said I was good to go. I went off on the adviser and told them to replace the rotor with a new one. It wasn't going anywhere with them, so I went home and called corporate. I got a new rotor two weeks later. My experience with Mazda service centers has been awful so far, and I was warned that they were awful by friends. I have two other dealers left in the area, but I don't think I'm willing to go that far for services on the vehicle.

Is that what you want o do; lemon law it? Seems rather extreme over something so "non essential" as navigation, but if you're that unhappy with it, just do it.

OP paid for it. OP did not get it. OP wants their money back. I find it extreme that someone WOULDN'T.

This vehicle has two problems, and the infotainment system is one of them(the other one is paint). For the first 3 months, mine would reboot itself and stay stuck on the black Mazda logo. I later discovered that the temperature was affecting the system. If the weather changes 15 to 20 degrees, and if the vehicle sat out in the heat being over 90 degrees. I bought a sunscreen and am still debating on tinting the windows with thermal tint, but it hasn't rebooted or glitched for a couple of months now. I have a 16.5 sport with the same infotainment in the Grand Touring minus the SD card for NAV. Looks like your having issues with the dealer fixing the issue properly. Like some others mentioned, I would have another dealer work on it, and I would call Mazda of North America. I purchased mine new, and it had a warped rotor at 600 miles. I took in to the dealer, and they machined the rotor and said I was good to go. I went off on the adviser and told them to replace the rotor with a new one. It wasn't going anywhere with them, so I went home and called corporate. I got a new rotor two weeks later. My experience with Mazda service centers has been awful so far, and I was warned that they were awful by friends. I have two other dealers left in the area, but I don't think I'm willing to go that far for services on the vehicle.

The only temp issues I've seen on our system in the 3 is sometimes the display wants to cool for a moment. Have only seen this on high heat/humidity and basking in the sun for hours.

Something is going on with our nav. I'm getting no sat signal. Of course it happens while we are on vacation. Did a hard reset and remove/insert the SD card to no avail. Will be taking it into the dealer.
On a side note, the navi interface for address entry is plain lousy and isn't intuitive.
Ha, saw several people complaining failed navigation system, I thought I should check ours out since we haven't use it for a while. Boy the only thing showing up on the screen is a compass and a message saying our CX-5 doesn't have navigation system! Tried a Nav-Mute-Return-button hard reset and remove/insert the SD card to no avail too! Is there a virus for CX-5 navigation system going on right now?

inlinev, please do report back what does your dealer say about this problem.

Navigation System Doesn't Work Anymore ...

Went to friend's house last night and used his CX-5's working navigation SD card to try it on my system. Same result - a compass and a message of not having a navigation system in my CX-5! The problem definitely is not on SD card but the infotainment system itself! I guess a dealer visit is necessary now.

Went to friend's house last night and used his CX-5's working navigation SD card to try it on my system. Same result - a compass and a message of not having a navigation system in my CX-5! The problem definitely is not on SD card but the infotainment system itself! I guess a dealer visit is necessary now.

The nav card marries itself to the unit it's in after a few miles. Putting another person's card into yours won't work - needs to be factory fresh. I think this is a security feature and why you won't find nav cards for cheap on ebay.

That doesn't mean you don't have an issue, just that your test wasn't useful :)

The nav card marries itself to the unit it's in after a few miles. Putting another person's card into yours won't work - needs to be factory fresh. I think this is a security feature and why you won't find nav cards for cheap on ebay.
That doesn't mean you don't have an issue, just that your test wasn't useful :)
Didn't think it that way otherwise I should have inserted my SD card into friend's system and see. Since I saw people selling/buying those Nav SD card on the eBay and I didn't think the SD card could be useless if it has been used before by the other car.

But that makes sense for security reason, and unfortunately I don't have a backup for my SD card. Which means I still have to find time to give the dealer a visit if the SD card is the culprit.

Didn't think it that way otherwise I should have inserted my SD card into friend's system and see. Since I saw people selling/buying those Nav SD card on the eBay and I didn't think the SD card could be useless if it has been used before by the other car.

But that makes sense for security reason, and unfortunately I don't have a backup for my SD card. Which means I still have to find time to give the dealer a visit if the SD card is the culprit.

The ones you find on ebay will be in factory boxes and unused. While often cheaper than the dealer, still pretty pricey. If you find one that is real cheap - watch out! Probably won't work.

I don't think this will work, if fact, you may brick your friend's NAV system,

per NAV manual :

When inserting the SD card, never move the slider on the side of the SD card to the
LOCK position. If the slider is set to LOCK, the SD card cannot be read and the
navigation system will not operate.

This SD card is valid for use in only one vehicle. Never use it in another vehicle.

If the SD card is used first in one vehicle and then in another, the navigation system
for either one of the vehicles may become inoperable.

The system writes to the SD card, so by putting your friend's SD card in your vehicle, the system will write your VIN number to his card and when you give it back to him, it may not work anymore once his original information was overwritten. I don't think Mazda is that naive not to put security measures in the NAV system so owners can just buy counterfeit SD cards off eBay and instantly the GPS will work.

link to CX-5 NAV manual PDF format (see page 7 regarding SD cards):
https://carmanuals2.com/get/mazda-cx-5-2016-navigation-manual-88264

Last edited:

... The system writes to the SD card, so by putting your friend's SD card in your vehicle, the system will write your VIN number to his card and when you give it back to him, it may not work anymore once his original information was overwritten.
I guess I got lucky as my navigation system itself is no longer working anyway, it didn't do anything to the inserted SD card of friend's. I did make sure friend's navigation still works after I used his SD card in my system. No harms was made!

2 months ago, the Nav of my 2016 GT with Tech was stuck in boot mode and nothing could stop it. Basically, the Infotainment was showing the Mazda logo and wouldn't go further. Took it to the dealer and they couldn't fix it either. They ordered a brand new unit and 2 days later, I had the car back on the road. Didn't cost me a penny.

Of course I made a backup of the SD card (for our Mazda 3) *before* ever inserting it into the car.
I recently made a 2nd backup, just before updating the nav data. The main objective is so that if something happens to the SD card or data on it, we have a backup and restore the system to working condition.

I don't think there is really any strong anti copy measures on the SD card, only a bunch of hidden files. We bought ours new also on eBay, for less than what the list price was.

As others have said, keep pressuring the dealership to fix/replace or find a new dealership. I'd be hesitant to try to replace the car via lemon law for something the dealership should take care of. Dealership incompetence doesn't necessarily equate to a lemon.

I love my infotainment system, but I'm not a fan of the GPS. To be fair, car manufacturers just aren't very good at GPS. Android Auto or Apple Carplay are much better alternatives that all car manufacturers should adopt. Prior to using Android Auto/Castscreen in my CX-5, I used my S7 Edge in a dash mount instead of relying on the subpar GPS.

As others have said, keep pressuring the dealership to fix/replace or find a new dealership. I'd be hesitant to try to replace the car via lemon law for something the dealership should take care of. Dealership incompetence doesn't necessarily equate to a lemon.

I love my infotainment system, but I'm not a fan of the GPS. To be fair, car manufacturers just aren't very good at GPS. Android Auto or Apple Carplay are much better alternatives that all car manufacturers should adopt. Prior to using Android Auto/Castscreen in my CX-5, I used my S7 Edge in a dash mount instead of relying on the subpar GPS.

KW, I see you have a RF in your future. I am seriously looking to pull the trigger on one of the toward the end of next year. I always wanted a convertible and since I am in my 50's with grown children now the time.

Of course I made a backup of the SD card (for our Mazda 3) *before* ever inserting it into the car.
I recently made a 2nd backup, just before updating the nav data. The main objective is so that if something happens to the SD card or data on it, we have a backup and restore the system to working condition.

I don't think there is really any strong anti copy measures on the SD card, only a bunch of hidden files. We bought ours new also on eBay, for less than what the list price was.
I didn't have a chance to backup the fresh SD card as the SD card was inserted when we picked up our new CX-5. Do you mind to mention what is the best way to do our nav SD card backup and restore including all the hidden files like the old DOS diskcopy command? And what size is the OEM nav SD card so that I can get one and copy all the files to it; then use it in the car and save the original after my dealer fixed the nav problem?

Back