Transmission directly on crossmember?

RatLabGuy

Huh? What?
:
'03 p5 and '89 4Runner; M5 (wife's)
Yeah. There's a mount on the front that cross member that should hold it from rubbing.

could you clarify or point to a pic? I should have snapped one before I took it off.
Do you mean the front transmission mount that is a U-shape that bolts to the crossmember?
Where it's contacting is more towards the back, right behind where the hole is that looks like it would be a drain or sight hole (but nothing special is behind it).

when I took it off, you could see where teh crossmember was clean and missing a little paint where the bottom of the trans was sitting on it. Although, when I took it off the trans didn't move any so it must have been just barely riding on it w/o any real weight. But I'd expect there should be a good amount of clearance?

Here are some pics.
frame_rub2.jpg frame_rub1.jpg
The transmission isn't being held up by the frame - it's just barely above it. E.g. if I remove the crossmember, the trans dosn't drop any - but the paint is worn off and as you can see there is virtually no gap there.
When I go over bumps I can hear it rattling/ bumping.
I tried jacking teh trans up a little and wedging a piece of cardboard in there.
It stopped the random rattle/rub - but now I have chronic vibrations.

Note, I have replaced the front/side motor mount (by the belts), the front trans mount right there on the crossmember, and the main trans mount on the side. Have NOT replaced ithe infamous rear mount that is a huge PITA to get to.
I can see that when looking at the front trans mount from the side, the bolt is not centered, it is low, like it's being pulled down a bit.

But I'm wondering if this front crosssmember is just bent upwards a bit, like maybe from being jacked on too many times or something... just looking for confirmation thatt here should indeed be more clearance there.

Last edited:
No - it should not rub crossmember.
Do the mounts (first) and then check for clearance again.

No - it should not rub crossmember.
Do the mounts (first) and then check for clearance again.

I have done all of them except the rear one.
The rear one has a poly insert that the PO put in, which makes it hard to believe that it's sagging that much...

This weekend I'm going to try taking it off and see if I can bend it downward a bit.
What really sucks is that w/o that crossmember, there are just NO good jack points going in from the front of this car.
And after almost 200k miles and 14 years, my side "frames" (term used loosely) are starting to look pretty rough.

Still not as bad as the damn Mazda5 though...

Place the jack under the framework where the control arms mount. I lift from here and place stands under the pinch welds.

Back