Comparing my 2016 GT to my Jeep Renegade Trailhawk

The company is Fiat/Chrysler, so to say it's not a Jeep is BS. Lots of cars share platforms. This wasn't a thread to bash Jeeps or Mazda's. Just my opinion on which one I like better. I'm driving the Jeep again and am very happy. The Mazda is also staying, It is a much nicer highway cruiser and will serve us well.

If anything I would say the Jeep engineers had more to do with the Fiat 500x then Fiat had to do with the Renegade.

Never sure why people have to turn every thread into a pissing match.

Jeep/Chrysler has changed hands so many times that it's confusing and even car mags have touched on the subject. There is even talk of Fiat unloading Chrysler products.

Hard to say how reliable they will be. Time will tell.

People have been killed by that Jeep recall, including that actor, and they do poorly in the Moose test. Other than that, I am not sure how good or bad they are

http://money.cnn.com/2016/06/20/autos/jeep-recall-anton-yelchin/index.html

The company is Fiat/Chrysler, so to say it's not a Jeep is BS. Lots of cars share platforms. This wasn't a thread to bash Jeeps or Mazda's. Just my opinion on which one I like better. I'm driving the Jeep again and am very happy. The Mazda is also staying, It is a much nicer highway cruiser and will serve us well.

If anything I would say the Jeep engineers had more to do with the Fiat 500x then Fiat had to do with the Renegade.

Who is bashing and how is this a pissing match? You think a car made by Fiat in Italy is a Jeep and I don't. Nothing more serious than that. I had a Fiat 500X for a week and thought it was fun to drive, not something that I would want to own but that is just me. Buy what you like don't worry what anyone else thinks. But don't think that everyone will have the same opinion.
Peace.

Who is bashing and how is this a pissing match? You think a car made by Fiat in Italy is a Jeep and I don't. Nothing more serious than that. I had a Fiat 500X for a week and thought it was fun to drive, not something that I would want to own but that is just me. Buy what you like don't worry what anyone else thinks. But don't think that everyone will have the same opinion.
Peace.

My concern with this car is reliability, having many components made by Fiat and the rest by Chrysler. Nothing against any of the brands. If they would do well in the future, I will gladly consider them again. That said, I hope you have trouble-free ownership.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Renegade_(BU) (Renegade produced in Italy along side 500 & 500X).
Interestingly, engine has some design roots from Hyundai + Fiat MultiAir.

Right, right, the Grand Jeep Cherokee is also a mercedes, by that logic, but still, I think the point remains: Nothing from Jeep/Chrysler/Dodge/Fiat is worth a damn when it comes to reliability.

Well JD power just released it new top brands quality survey and Mazda took a nose dive to 5th from the bottom. Jeep 11 spots higher!

http://www.jdpower.com/ratings/study/Initial-Quality-Study-(IQS)-by-Make/1222ENG

So Land Rover is better than Volvo.
And Chrysler is better than Honda and Acura.
And Kia trumps Toyota.

Yeah...that study is an IQS, it has to do with how nice the window button mashes and how pretty the NAV screen is or whatever. Absolutely zip to do with how the vehicle will hold up in any form.

The IQS is garbage IMO...I am driving a Chrysler 200 rental while my CX-5 is being repaired and it is awful.

Well JD power just released it new top brands quality survey and Mazda took a nose dive to 5th from the bottom. Jeep 11 spots higher!
http://www.jdpower.com/ratings/study/Initial-Quality-Study-(IQS)-by-Make/1222ENG
It doesn't matter if you like JD Power studies or the nature of Initial Quality Study, the key point here is Mazda's "initial quality" apparently nose-dived from previous model year according to the same study. We didn't complain too much against the study when JD Power ranked Mazda pretty high on their IQS? Pick and choose... ;)

The same when NHTSA rated 3 stars on passenger side in their frontal crash test for 2016 CX-5, nose-dived from 5 stars of previous model year, some people started saying NHTSA crash test is not as trustworthy as IIHS crash test. People should criticize Mazda who is having some lapses, not the organizations who are doing the unbiased tests or studies.

My 2cents on the Jeep Renegade, I was very close to getting a new 2015 in Limited trim level. It was a bit tight for room in back vs things like the CRV and Rogue, but I liked the overall styling. I had not researched enough on the 9-speed tranny before coming close to buying it. The two things that kept me from the purchase were on my two lengthy test drives when the Jeep was coasting downhill there was a loud "clunk" as it slammed into gear. Both my father and I were like wth is that?? And the nail in the coffin was when I returned from my last test drive the key would not come out of the ignition, my father and I both tried and 3 salesmen and noone could remove it. I had gotten word that two days later it was still stuck. So, those were red flags. Then upon really diving into the problems of the 2015's and the outsourcing of parts from Italy, etc, I passed on it.

FYI in terms of Jeep, the 2015's had the most issues with this new tranny, 2016 has much better QC but still hasn't proven it's longterm reliability. For me 9gears is just too much for a tranny it just adds to the possibility of more going wrong. However, my friend and I just took a 3hr road trip to Saratoga in his 16' Cherokee limited and it was fine, no issues to speak of. The whole shut off engine/turn on engine when idling is a weird feature IMO and I wasn't a fan of it. I felt the Cherokee was very comparable to the CX5, the info screen is larger yes but much of the real estate is taken up by static buttons on it. The CX5 at the GT level looked more unique for me vs his Cherokee, he even mentioned how he liked the styling better of mine almost sensed some buyers remorse :). He has the V6 but didn't feel much different than the pep I get from my 2.5 but all variable I guess on how you drive.

Last edited:
Hmmmmm, and consumer reports for 2016 rates Mazda 6th in overall quality with 100% of mazdas models recommended. Fiat and Jeep ranked 29 and 30th with 0% recommended. (huh)

I read the surveys and reviews, take into account opinions and inputs from forums like these, and ultimately buy what feels right for me and my family. No automobile is w/o fault - things that could work better, offer more comfort, etc. As cars become increasingly more complex, we will undoubtedly have more to complain about (IMO). :)

That JDP list is a little whacky. Both Buick and Lexus are below Chevrolet on the list, but both have more yellow dots than Chevrolet. Granted the makes at the very bottom have less yellow than those at the top, but the list isn't sorted quite right, in my opinion.

Initial quality study is for how you like your brand-new car.
Vehicle dependability study is for 3 years of ownership.
http://www.jdpower.com/press-releases/2016-us-vehicle-dependability-study-vds
You can see Chrysler is doing almost the same as Mazda, but Jeep, Fiat and Ram are not.

Note that IQS/VDS study collects much information, but the summary of results, where car brands are ranked, sums up all issues as being of same severity. So, if you don't know how to pair your phone using Bluetooth and you go for a dealership appointment, that counts with the same weight as total engine failure.
However, if you go to JD Power website, you can research a specific brand more closely:
http://www.jdpower.com/cars/Mazda/CX-5/2013
http://www.jdpower.com/cars/FIAT/500/2013

Unfortunately, no data for Jeep Renegade, 500X and not much data for Fiat 500.
For the Mazda click JD Ratings on the left & scroll to VDS results. You'll see that "Feature and Accessory Dependability" is dragging the result down.

Chrysler has been terrible for forever to my knowledge. I remember my parents had a Dodge Caravan way way back and the issues were insane.

It doesn't matter if you like JD Power studies or the nature of Initial Quality Study, the key point here is Mazda's "initial quality" apparently nose-dived from previous model year according to the same study. We didn't complain too much against the study when JD Power ranked Mazda pretty high on their IQS? Pick and choose... ;)

The same when NHTSA rated 3 stars on passenger side in their frontal crash test for 2016 CX-5, nose-dived from 5 stars of previous model year, some people started saying NHTSA crash test is not as trustworthy as IIHS crash test. People should criticize Mazda who is having some lapses, not the organizations who are doing the unbiased tests or studies.

Nice, objective post. Truth hurts sometimes.

My Mazda dealership also sell Jeep, Chrysler,and Ram, their recall is insane. I see almost every car or truck there is jeep, Chrysler, or ram, very rare to see a Mazda car in for repair service.

My Mazda dealership also sell Jeep, Chrysler,and Ram, their recall is insane. I see almost every car or truck there is jeep, Chrysler, or ram, very rare to see a Mazda car in for repair service.

Depends on the recall. I have a current recall on my Mazda 6 to replace a door piece trim. Obviously different from having a recall to say change wiring known to cause fires. That said Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) only had 10 recalls since 2015. In that span Ford and GM both had like 50 each. So its not just the amount of recalls but the type of recalls too. The number of recalls I got in the mail for our CX-5 was two probably?

http://car-brands.axlegeeks.com/stories/11843/car-manufacturers-with-most-vehicles-recalled#Intro

We picked up a new 2016 Jeep Renegade over a month ago, and we already have 3000 miles on the clock. So far, we've had no reliability issues. I have to say that I am very impressed with initial quality, with fit and finish being top notch and the vehicle seems very solid and well constructed. We'll have to see if this turns in to long-term reliability.

We've had no issues with the 9 speed, so I think they've worked that issue out over the past year. The ride is great, and I have to say that the handling compares well with the 2015 Audi Q3 we traded in (traded due to very high maintenance, tire and component costs and high cost dealer services). It is highly maneuverable and fun on mountain roads. My one complaint is acceleration. With the 2.4 L, torque is good at low speeds, but not great at highway speeds, unless you learn to work the automatic transmission for additional push.

Back